Nevada Shared Radio System Site Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanWare

Full Time Elmer & Getting Paid to Play with Toys!
Premium Subscriber
Hey! I've tried searching all through the Nevada Radio Discussion Forum and have found a few interesting notes...but I haven't found an answer to my current field of endeavor....namely, seeking out the locations for the various Nevada Shared and the SNACC sites. I'm wondering if anyone can put up a list of 'real' locations (perhaps easier to check out than Lat/Lon lists). I'm not adverse to working with Lat/Lon but I can't seem to square them all up on the maps.

For instance, on the RR site following the topic at hand you find the
Las Vegas Simulcast Site Details
LatitudeN 36.1749705
LongitudeW -115.137223

If you delve into Google Earth / Maps and seek out those coordinates it puts you somewhere in NLV around the area of No Torrey Pines & Farm Rd. Being somewhat constrained with darkness right now and this confounded Corona business. I shifted to street view for that area. Wouldn't ya know it - there's nothing in that neighborhood that remotely resembles a communications antenna. Not even one of those wickedly disguised towers with branches here and there.

So....maybe I'm missing something (I didn't bother to delve into the layers of Street View pictures) but I can't buy into the Lat/Lon for the LV Simulcast site as published. I'm well aware of the vagaries of the FCC ULS, and frankly didn't bother going down that rabbit hole tonight.

I'm hoping this post might stir some interest in 'youse guys', and maybe we can do some sleuthing. I've got a lot of time on my hands since that local GP Emporium on Valley View is closed for a while. Anybody got comments?

Elvis / KG7XD

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Probably because it's a simulcast, which means there are multiple transmit locations. Perhaps that is just the center of the simulcast area.

ScanWare

Full Time Elmer & Getting Paid to Play with Toys!
Premium Subscriber
Nice thought Thunderknight....however if you follow the link for the associated callsign (WQKW310) it shows five locations but mosdef not centered around that NLV Lat/Lon. I'm familiar with the #2 site since I pass it several times a week going to or from work. Its a power substation and if you look close the collinear vertical is easily visible inside the yard at the west side of the property. You could well be right about this being only one of a 'multicast' group of sites called the LV Simulcast 'site'. Thanks for the reply.

I checked out the rest of those sites and most of the Street View pictures contained easily identifiable antennas of one sort or another.
Good sleuthing.

Last edited:

bfperez

Premium Subscriber
I hunted down the LV Simulcast sites in 2012 and submitted the LCN-Freq mapping.
-NV Power Office (not active at the time) 7155 LINDELL RD LAS VEGAS, NV 36-03-32.0 N, 115-13-05.0 W
-NV Power Substation 8551 W CHARLESTON BLVD LAS VEGAS,NV 36-09-27.9 N, 115-16-39.5 W
-NV Power Substation 8650 W FLAMINGO RD LAS VEGAS, NV 36-06-56.5 N, 115-16-35.9 W
-NV DOT Office 123 E WASHINGTON AVE LAS VEGAS, NV 36-10-58.0 N, 115-08-13.0 W
-8396 W CHEYENNE LAS VEGAS, NV 36-13-10.1 N, 115-16-37.6 W
The last place actually appears at/near the 8550 block of W Cheyenne at Durango with several antenna towers on a self storage facility and some city property behind (north of) it.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
Im double checking, but I dont think thats a NSRS callsign. The format falls within GMRS licensing, mine is WQKW261.

Update...
Color me shooketh... it is an NSRS callsign!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200323-131334_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20200323-131334_Drive.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

petnrdx

Are you perhaps running into the difference between:
Sexigesimal (degrees, minutes, seconds)
Degrees and decimal
or Decimal degrees
OFTEN the info in the FCC database is wrong because someone entered the sexigesimal format into one of the other format boxes.
Or vice versa.
Or you have the decimal degrees, but Google Earth is displaying Degrees and decimal.
Can make a several mile error.
With degrees being 60 and decimal being 100 can make quite an error.
I see that a lot where it its wrong in the FCC database because the person entering it didn't know better, or even may have wanted it to be wrong.
End up with the situation you saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.