• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Never hear anyone on 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

kk9h

Premium Subscriber
I used to travel with a CB whenever we took a family road trip and information from people coming the other way actually saved us a lot of time on several occasions. We now travel between Chicago and Ann Arbor, MI quite often. I have taken my Midland 75-822 and Larsen antenna in the past only to hear practically nothing, not a “peep” along the way, even when multiple Indiana and Michigan state police cars were clearly visible in the median. I reported them just for something to do, but I suspect my calls simply disappeared out into the ether. I no longer bring the CB on road trips. Instead I have programmed various ham repeaters along the way and enjoy those.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Back in 2002 when my family and I went to IL I brought my Radio Shack base station with and there was a hold up on the road so I asked a trucker what was going on and he told me. So back then it was alive. Now a days I don't even hear anyone just scanning the CB channels on my scanner. And if there's any evidence CB might just be dead is that my cousin who hauls cars says he doesn't use a CB anymore because of all the "trash." So there's that.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I suspect quite a few migrate from CB to either the FRS/GMRS/MURS bands or DMR bands, and some even opt for the ham license. CB radio still has popularity among the unlicensed and is still a favorite for neighborhood communications in some areas. It will always be the cornerstone for the trucking industry. Just go to a truck-stop for lunch and scan the bands. CB is still very much alive out there.

JD
kf4anc

DeepBlue

DMR is an audio encoding format. There is no DMR "Service" or frequency range. DMR is a digital encoding of the audio spoken into the mic but transmitted as FM audio. Short answer, no. DMR radios are only found in business, public safety, public service and amateur radio. Those all require licensing in the US.

Sean

W

W4ZMJ

you hear 19 used especially if there's a accident or something going on there good about telling you what lane you need to be in im not a active CBer know more but I have a CB in the vehicle especially for interstate travel its a good back up truckers stay on there phones mostly :)

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
With modern technology one can own, to companies having their own type of radio system and such it is hit or miss anywhere these days.

Some have it on but getting them to talk is another.

nd5y

So I can just buy a couple DMR radios on eBay and use them without a license?
No.

A DMR ID is a ham radio thing. You have to register and obtain a radio ID that is programmed in your radios.
The ham radio DMR networks will not allow transmissions from radios, or connections from repeaters or hotspots, that aren't registered. It's the same thing that commercial or public safety trunked systems do to keep out unauthorized users.

If hams only use DMR on simplex or stand alone non-networked repeaters then they don't need any kind of radio ID.

cajunjerry

I only live a couple of miles away from a main highway but I never hear anyone using Channel 19, my radio, coax, and antenna are all good so reception is not a issue. Is 19 just not used anymore?
Most people have gone to the CB that have been modified for frequencies
25 to 32 mhz against the law? Yes, but chances of getting caught? Slim

bpittman

I live within hearing distance (less than 10 miles) of I-70 in Maryland and US 522 where 25% of the traffic is 18 wheelers and it's dead here also. I see CB antennas on lots of local vehicles but little to no traffic. Yes solar activity is waaaaay down but that doesn't affect local ground waves.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
No.

A DMR ID is a ham radio thing. You have to register and obtain a radio ID that is programmed in your radios.
The ham radio DMR networks will not allow transmissions from radios, or connections from repeaters or hotspots, that aren't registered. It's the same thing that commercial or public safety trunked systems do to keep out unauthorized users.

If hams only use DMR on simplex or stand alone non-networked repeaters then they don't need any kind of radio ID.

Okay, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.