• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Never hear anyone on 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSpaceMann

From what I've gathered, not many truck drivers use CB anymore. It could be the newer ones think it's an outdated tool. Or the truck itself lacks the groundplane required. Some have grown tired of the crap sometimes heard on the airwaves, or the skip that interferes with when they just want to talk up the road a few miles.

CB is now known as a "backup radio", because the main time you hear it used, is when there's a back up.
I spoke to a trucker just today on the CB. He said that it really depends on where you are, and that many truckers are now using a CB simulator called "Online Walkie Talkie Pro". I downloaded it onto my smartphone, and sure enough they were yapping away! ;)

Allan_Love_Jr

TRUE.

from what i've gathered, not many truck drivers use cb anymore. It could be the newer ones think it's an outdated tool. Or the truck itself lacks the groundplane required. Some have grown tired of the crap sometimes heard on the airwaves, or the skip that interferes with when they just want to talk up the road a few miles.

Cb is now known as a "backup radio", because the main time you hear it used, is when there's a back up.
that is damn true. The never ending **** on the radio get's old.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I used CB all the time, retired now (17 yrs w/CCC) and now I use it in my RV. I did not and do not depend on the CB for road info anymore, as there was/is too many cretins with profanity and racism and starting arguments to hear anything worthwhile when something was going on. I used a scanner, 2m/440 most of the time when 19 got ridiculous. Lots of scales and consignees still use CB for trucks on their property. As someone else said, depends on where you're at. Big truckstop? Scan the channels and you will hear it all. RV campgrounds are good, too, but mostly on 13 and 14 instead of 19. Lots of FRS/GMRS at Rv camps, too. But, a good do-it-all scanner is your best friend on the road. CB 19 is still great for saying hey to a trucker as they blow me and my Winnebago off the road ;)

JD
kf4anc

Allan_Love_Jr

And all those morons who don't have a CB are gonna be screwed one day when the grid goes down. Hackers are in the system. It's only a matter of time before they flip the switch. But in the mean time. I'm enjoying the piece and quiet on the Radio.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I guess we all have our reasons for keeping the CB radio around. True, with a DC harness, a car battery and a coat hanger you can still talk to whomever is left in the neighborhood.

Ravenkeeper

I guess we all have our reasons for keeping the CB radio around. True, with a DC harness, a car battery and a coat hanger you can still talk to whomever is left in the neighborhood.

My son and I were discussing "when are we going to put your radios in your new truck, dad?" Sunday afternoon. I pretty much told you that same line. "Why do I need to put it in my truck?...."

Ravenkeeper

My son and I were discussing "when are we going to put your radios in your new truck, dad?" Sunday afternoon. I pretty much told you that same line. "Why do I need to put it in my truck?...."

doctorbubba010

Learner
In my years of running the CB on I-26 its come to silence for me as well. analog scanning too. the world is moving digital.

KD0PEZ

It's really sad because Cb was such a great way to talk while on the road. I put one in my pick up and now I'm wondering if I should've not bothered with it.

frankdrebbin

I bought a Cobra a few years back to put in my truck. All I ever heard was some guy cussing a blue streak constantly and some Mexicans that were speaking their language. After not hearing much else I took it back out. Years ago I had a handheld I kept with me on the way to work every day. The interstate I traveled had 1 or 2 lanes closed down for some reason every day and I'd listen to truckers talk about which lanes to be in so I wouldn't get pinched at the end. They don't even talk about that now.

Ravenkeeper

I bought a Cobra a few years back to put in my truck. All I ever heard was some guy cussing a blue streak constantly and some Mexicans that were speaking their language. After not hearing much else I took it back out. Years ago I had a handheld I kept with me on the way to work every day. The interstate I traveled had 1 or 2 lanes closed down for some reason every day and I'd listen to truckers talk about which lanes to be in so I wouldn't get pinched at the end. They don't even talk about that now.

That's the way 19 has become in San Diego. The locals were always yapping it up in the evenings, until the middle of the night, trying to keep the Mexicans off of it. "Mad Dog" use to really stir things up, and cause a lot of trouble, especially when truck drivers would call for some assistance in finding where they were supposed to be going. "Ghostrider" would try to play "traffic cop" so the drivers could get the information that they were looking for. First time that I was stationed at Edwards AFB, I would hear "Ghostrider" all the way up here, 200 miles away. Wasn't sure if I was catching a skip or if he was amped up. His neighbors had called FCC on him a couple times for bleeding over their TVs.

Seems like every trip down there that we leave my truck(s) at home. Had my CB in our '10 Ridgeline, '15 Silverado, and going to be putting it in my NEW '18 Silverado, soon, just waiting on the new antenna mount bracket and coax to come in. Hopefully, I'll have it in before we go down for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas, going down there for one of them.

Around here, in the Antelope Valley, 19 has been dead for the most part. Would rarely catch some traffic on 19, but that's about it. I'm trying to get a few of my son's friends into using CBs, but I'll have to let my son use my CB in the truck, when it's home, until I can get a base station set up.

TheSpaceMann

Now that the bands are somewhat quiet, hearing a lot of CBers online. They are using a smartphone app. called: "Online Walkie Talkie Pro". Sounding a heck of a lot like CB in the '80s.

It's really sad because Cb was such a great way to talk while on the road. I put one in my pick up and now I'm wondering if I should've not bothered with it.
Not sure about your neck of the woods. I've traveled down 74 to Wilmington and not heard much but here in the mountains 19 stays pretty busy from truckers on I-40 to loggers, to dump trucks at the gravel quarry

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Still handy to have a cb even of everyone has gone to cell apps.

It is hit and miss and varies on it due to technology, along with newer younger drivers into cells and other types of communication. Isn't like the old days.

Some places you'd not hear a peep over month others it's busy.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Always something going on in the truckstops. Go park near that TA in Vegas. You'll hear folks on 19. Technology is hurting CBs out there on the highways, truckers have too many electronic toys to play with that are a lot more interesting than a CB radio, but as soon as they hit a traffic jam they switch on the talk box. 19 and 14 still busy in most truckstops, but the problem is it's probably conversations that you don't want anything to do with. Just sayin...

Status
Not open for further replies.