Never thought I would see 800 MHz frequencies for Page County Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChartofVirginia

Premium Subscriber
Just reviewed the FRN for the county and the RR table is now showing 850 MHz frequencies at 4 tower sites with two new locations at Piney Hill above Lake Arrowhead and another site out off of 340 just south of Rileyville on what appears to be the RECO microwave tower/cell site

County has drunk the 800 MHz cool-aid ?!?

Would have preferred to see them go UHF simulcast P25 conventional

Wondering what the 800 system will be in the near and far, Maybe another Rockingham?

Interesting to think if they are going to microwave backhaul or fiber for IP Simulcast? as both Big Mountain and Chapman are far off the grid and the tower alone for Chapman would be very visible once done to hold frequency diverse antennas, not to think how big a space diverse tower will look.

The monopole that was there at Chapman from the old 106.3 WLCC (pre 105.7) days has served for quite a long time but was just above the tree line.

No update on when/if WHSV will be replacing the main guyed tower at Big Mtn either (mentioned on their webpage some months ago as their new digital antenna would not be able to go up on the ole stick) so will the county be moving knowing that their UHF mainstay (which reached into the DC area when the old analog UHF was tuned right) has a time limit.

Good to see the Piney Hill tower (103.3 FM) being put to use, it has always been a possible coverage solution to most of middle county while looking out over Egypt Bend, down toward Stanley, up along 211 mountain heading west and beyond. Its northern view is not bad and may help along 211 up to Panorama

With only 500 units this may or may not be a public safety system, maybe the school board is not able to find a company to work on the 39.580 gear?

CoV

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
I did a Google search and found a bit of info about the topic. CTA consulting and L3/Harris are building the system. The documents I found explain why 800 MHZ was chosen.

GmanX

Premium Subscriber
I don't see them pulling fiber up to Big Mountain. NPS doesn't like digging up the mountain. Thats a paper work ordeal

Status
Not open for further replies.