New 2019 Odyssey Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Looking at the interior pictures on Hyundais website it looks like you can fit a control head or two forward of the gear shifter. No room for a 536 there though it appears unless you don't mind (or have) the accessory ports under the stereo.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Since I no longer carry a purse and don't need the storage drawer (there is plenty of storage elsewhere) I claimed this area for my radios.

Very nice install! However, I'm pretty sure we don't want to know why you carried a purse. . .

TWANG

Premium Subscriber
I realize this is an older thread, but I just purchased a used 2019 Honda Odyssey EX-L, and have a couple question if you don't mind.

• Do you recall the dimensions of the "base board" you used to put the brackets on?
  • When using magnet mount antennas (before your installer put the NMO's on) did you run the coax through a cracked window?
  • My van has the sunroof/moonroof. Will that affect antenna placement and/or performance? I've thought about using a glass-mount antenna, but am concerned about performance.
My main goal for now is to install 2m/440, namely a Yaesu FTM-7250. Eventually, I'll be putting a Kenwood TS-50 radio and a Texas Bugcatcher antenna for mobile HF, but that will be further down the road . . . first things first, hi hi.
Thanks . . . Steve (NQ5D)

N9JIG

Sheriff
I realize this is an older thread, but I just purchased a used 2019 Honda Odyssey EX-L, and have a couple question if you don't mind.

• Do you recall the dimensions of the "base board" you used to put the brackets on?
  • When using magnet mount antennas (before your installer put the NMO's on) did you run the coax through a cracked window?
  • My van has the sunroof/moonroof. Will that affect antenna placement and/or performance? I've thought about using a glass-mount antenna, but am concerned about performance.
My main goal for now is to install 2m/440, namely a Yaesu FTM-7250. Eventually, I'll be putting a Kenwood TS-50 radio and a Texas Bugcatcher antenna for mobile HF, but that will be further down the road . . . first things first, hi hi.

I don't recall the exact dimensions but I measured the well it sits in and cut it ever so slightly smaller to fit.

I ran the coax thru the rear sliding doors, the weather stripping was pliable enough to allow it.

I had to place the mounted antennas fairly far towards the rear to accomodate the moonroof track inside the roof, my installer was able to measure it out. There are also other things o be cautious of like AC, electronics and airbag sensers, so I had the antennas installed by a professional.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I've thought about using a glass-mount antenna, but am concerned about performance.

Yeah, you're right to be concerned about performance with that on a newer vehicle (last decade or so at least). Avoid them. You'll be much happier with a roof mounted antenna.

I know many people do it themselves but, unless you have experience with it, sometimes it's worth the extra money to let an expert installer who does it for a living drill the hole(s) and mount the antenna(s). At least that's my opinion on it. Some guys in these forums are at that expert level and I'd let them do it in a heartbeat. But find a local radio shop and talk with them about what you want. They'll know how to do it and how to properly place it, etc.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber

I speak from experience when I say this: DON'T CONSIDER A GLASS MOUNT ANTENNA. I had occasion to remove my antenna from a glass mount and found no difference in the reception of a NOAA WX broadcast from about 45-50 miles. The antenna made no difference. I ended up with a Comet mount on my rear hatch (a Subaru Legacy Wagon) using a Larsen scanner antenna of about 12-18" in length. What a difference from the terrible glass mount antenna! Night and day it was!! I think part of it has to do with the Comet mount having a body ground while the glass mount has no ground at all. That is part of it, the rest being the antenna is not separated from its "base" with a layer of glass. I think the coax from the antenna base on the inside of the glass and under the molding all the way up to the dash formed as good of antenna as the glass mount. Given much of it was inside metal, such as door thresholds, that's a poor antenna, but it did just as well as the antenna screwed back into the mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.