New 396XT Belt Clip Falling Apart, I Want A Better Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougWare

Feed Provider
The "snap" part of my 396XT's belt clip has broken off....the scanner just started "sitting" in the belt clip. Every time I sat in the car, the scanner took a jump into the floorboard or worse. This went on for a couple of days. I looked at the back of my scanner this morning and realized the metal swivel has completely come off and disappeared somewhere.

Now I already have some moderate scuffing on my onemonth old scanner because of this.

Whats the best nylon/silicone case and belt clip for the 396XT? I would prefer the type of belt loop that you have to take your belt off to remove, but that's just a luxury.

I like this case, but it's just a case with no belt loop at all.

Uniden NC-396T Nylon Case

Thanks for your suggestions...

Doug

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I've got the leather case that has the "D" clip on it that attached to the hold that you wear on your belt.

cc396_b.original.jpg

sjlamb

I've got the leather case that has the "D" clip on it that attached to the hold that you wear on your belt.

cc396_b.original.jpg

My soft leather case for the 396XT came from Scanner Master and uses the clip shown in the above photo. I can vouch that it is one ROCK SOLID, Mofo of a belt clip.

Last edited:

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
I never had a problem with the 396T/XT belt clip

the problem is most people "snap" it in the wrong way (forcing it down) instead of the proper upside down way.. that breaks the snap piece. But i understand its easy to snap.

But yes the cases are a nice idea... will prevent scuffs on the scanner as well.

tmoosetrax

Have to say i wish they had a nice soft leather case for the scanner too. I broke my Belt clip off too spinning it around, they do seem easy to break.

jclarkr6

My soft leather case for the 396XT came from Scanner Master and uses the clip shown in the above photo. I can vouch that it is one ROCK SOLID, Mofo of a belt clip.

I've got the same belt clip and I can also say that it is great. My BCD396XT is still in mint condition thanks to this leather belt clip (and thanks to careful handling).

mlacasella

Premium Subscriber
I never had a problem with the 396T/XT belt clip

the problem is most people "snap" it in the wrong way (forcing it down) instead of the proper upside down way.. that breaks the snap piece. But i understand its easy to snap.

But yes the cases are a nice idea... will prevent scuffs on the scanner as well.

I have already broke one clip - now I keep a couple of spares handy.
Once I started removing and attaching the clip the proper way I have yet to break a clip - see link below:

The proper way to remove and attach the belt clip is explained here:
Hinge to the top when attaching the belt clip (normal position) - hinge to the bottom when removing the belt clip (rotated).

SettingUpTheHardware < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

tmoosetrax

Different Clip for post?

Well i now cracked my second Belt clip.
The first one o was spinning back and fourth , not that i felt that should be enough to break it but i excepted the blame.
the second clip that broke i was holding the scanner in bed listening to the radio and could feel the clip falling off, it was cracked. Did it happen on its own or earlier and just didn't notice till then i have no clue.

I'm not sold on the Leather case or the Nylon one, guess i would have to see them in person.

My question is their a different Clip that can be put on the Uniden 396xt's Post, obviously unidens plastic belt clip does not hold up very well on the scanners post for me..

Going to also call uniden on Monday to see if they have a newer design, since i have not had any luck with the original.

Thanks for any other ideas.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Looking for belt clip for the BCD 396

I have the Same problem with the 396T and am currently searching on how to purchase more belt clips. i can only use paypal. i have the leather one but you must wear a belt with it which i don't. i have went through several belt clips mostly by sitting down it forces the scanner up which it then pops off and breaks that piece. If anyone knows of a place to where i can purchase several of these clips through paypal cheap let me know please, Thanks! I think both 396T and 396XT clips interchange...

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
uniden site never seems to have it. the site says it dont exist. if you find a way to order one easy let me know

K

kb0nly

Uniden Soft Leather Case with Swivel

The leather case with the D-Swivel type belt attachment that i use as well... It was worth the investment to keep my 396T safe.

I broke the stock belt clip within two hours of getting the scanner, still works but that little retainer in the bottom center of it snapped off, and i knew how to put the scanner in as i have had other radios with that style, the stock belt clip is just junk in my opinion.

This leather case is the same as what commercial users have been using for years and years, i have old Motorola radio holsters with this style of attachment on them that are 15 years old and still work great. I use the same attachment for my FT-60R case so its nice to basically have an interchangeable system on my belt and latch in whatever radio i want to carry. I also have two belt clips to hold both at the same time etc..

For those that don't wear belts, there is some options out there with the same positive attachment system with the D shaped swivel. Check out places that sell stuff for public safety use. I have seen ones that are a heavy duty spring loaded clip that you could put over the top edge of your pants or hang on your pocket and still attach with the same style.

With this style you also have to flip radio upside down to insert or remove from the belt attachment.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
yeah mine is just the plastic one that breaks i have the case but i need a belt which i dont use. i would agree if it just clips and its metal i'd get it.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.