new 668... completley lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd4nau

So I bought a brand new 668 last night from radio shack. Our local government just went to the p25 system and my old pro 107 wont pick it up. I read through the manaual and the page here and I cannot get the new 668 to pick up anything. I tried using the find by location on the radio. I updated the library. What am I doing wrong? I'm in Glynn county in south east Georgia. I can hear transmissions on broadcastify so I know its not quiet. But Nothing on the new 668

kd4nau

pro 668

I copied it to the scanner.. I read that page Mike.I think ive done everything but I still am not getting a single hit.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
New scanner, means first read the manual, then make sure you followed the instructions on how to install the software and drivers. Then UPDATE the SCANNER CPU firmware and DSP firmware. This can only be done connected to a computer. These updates have fixed a lot of problems. Then get the RS 800mhz antenna as the factory one is junk at best.

NOW being that you bought a Radioshack product that will have ZERO support from RS or the original manufacturer (GRECOM). You will want to do the hack to update from the firmware version RS left off at to ver 3.8 making it a Whistler ws1080 while adding DMR and many other improvements BEFORE you start worrying about reception.

Once you what I mentioned above report back if your still having problems.

trp2525

So I bought a brand new 668 last night from radio shack...

If you bought your PRO-668 directly from Radio Shack I assume you either paid the full regular retail price of $500 or $375 if it was "on sale." Either way I think you would have been much better off purchasing a brand-new Whistler-branded handheld instead for a few reasons. Seeing that you just purchased your PRO-668, I'm sure you could return it to Radio Shack if you are so inclined after reading the following:

1. Radio Shack offers no factory repair service or parts for their scanners. If it breaks during the warranty period they are "supposed to" exchange it for a new working unit but after the warranty ends Radio Shack will no longer help you AT ALL. Whistler, on the other hand, offers both in- and out-of-warranty factory repair service with a flat-rate $120 charge to repair Whistler scanners that are out-of-warranty.

2. The PRO-668 has no official DMR upgrade available. While it is true that you can "unofficially" load Whistler CPU firmware version 3.8 into your PRO-668 in order to get DMR reception, you are currently stuck at 3.8 while the Whistler-brand scanners are up to CPU firmware version 4.5.

3. The PRO-668 has no NXDN receive capability which the Whistler TRX-1 handheld has and the TRX-1 (which includes a $30-value case in the box) can be purchased brand-new for less than the $500 regular price of the PRO-668 at Radio Shack.

Here are the 3 similar Whistler models as compared to the PRO-668:

WS1080 is essentially the same scanner as the PRO-668 but it has "official" DMR receive capability from Whistler and is still being supported by Whistler with software and firmware updates.

WS1088 is the same scanner as the WS1080 but with the addition of a keypad.

TRX-1 adds NXDN capability, is reported to have an improved front-end compared to the WS1080/WS1088 and includes a case with the scanner that is not included with the WS1080/WS1088 (case sold separately by Whistler for $30).

kd4nau

New scanner, means first read the manual, then make sure you followed the instructions on how to install the software and drivers. Then UPDATE the SCANNER CPU firmware and DSP firmware. This can only be done connected to a computer. These updates have fixed a lot of problems. Then get the RS 800mhz antenna as the factory one is junk at best.

NOW being that you bought a Radioshack product that will have ZERO support from RS or the original manufacturer (GRECOM). You will want to do the hack to update from the firmware version RS left off at to ver 3.8 making it a Whistler ws1080 while adding DMR and many other improvements BEFORE you start worrying about reception.

Once you what I mentioned above report back if your still having problems.

so how do I upgrade to the DMR? I guessz that's why I'm not hearing anything huh? I cant return it. It was a gift. our local radio shack doesn't have them so my gf bought this one while she was home at her parents.

what is DMR and how do I do the hack>?

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
so how do I upgrade to the DMR? I guessz that's why I'm not hearing anything huh? I cant return it. It was a gift. our local radio shack doesn't have them so my gf bought this one while she was home at her parents.

what is DMR and how do I do the hack>?

if you are not hearing anything something is wrong, you need to fix that first.

When you press the weather button (the eye) do you receive the local NOAA weather broadcast?

trp2525

So I bought a brand new 668 last night from radio shack...

...I cant return it. It was a gift. our local radio shack doesn't have them so my gf bought this one while she was home at her parents...

You posted on 01/22 that you "bought a brand new 668 last night from radio shack" which means you purchased it just 4 days ago (today being 01/25). Whoever purchased it, you or your gf, should have the purchase receipt which should allow you to return it without an issue seeing that it was just purchased 4 days ago.

BTW you will need that same purchase receipt if you ever require service under the Radio Shack warranty. Radio Shack's current policy is that they will exchange a non-working unit with a new/working unit during the warranty period providing, of course, that you have the purchase receipt. Without the purchase receipt you essentially have no warranty coverage on your new PRO-668.

setuphelper

Premium Subscriber
Pro-668

How are you doing with your scanner ? Is it working yet ?

Status
Not open for further replies.