New 700 Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
These are new LWIN, and they are fully Phase II compliant per the emissions, sites about to be built. A standing pole of some kind, and a new repeater on top of an building. The license is approved, so expect to see these come alive in the next year.

Also see Coushatta Tribal FD is going DMR for conventional operations.

Last edited by a moderator:

balibago

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
When will the state be required to go to Phase 2? I know Bobby Jindal applied for a waiver to postpone it.

balibago

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I'm assuming that a lot of people no longer follow this hobby in Louisiana with the growing cost of new scanners as well as the sophistication of these new radio systems.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
The actual deadlines for 700 MHz to go Phase II (TDMA) compliant are 2016/2017. Not sure how the waiver timing is going to work out for the old sites, but any new stuff has to be Phase II ready. Motorola isn't installing any new Phase I (FDMA) only 700 MHz, all their gear is Phase II compliant. It may be set up in "friendship" mode so to be able to use Phase I gear on it, but it is fully Phase II compliant. Systems that are mixed bands, such as AWIN (700/800), TACN (VHF/700/800), MSWIN (700/800) also fall into the Phase II requirements, but AWIN has applied for waivers also. TACN is fully Phase II compliant so needs no waivers, as is MSWIN. *Yes the requirements are still 2/3 years off, but that is not very long, and it takes time to reprogram/replace equipment. And most dealers/vendors are not stupid and already got the jump on this and have already switched stock to supply the gear now.*

Just to clarify here: Any system using 700 MHz is required to be P25 Phase II compliant. This does not mean that everything must be using Phase II fully as the only mode. It just means the system must be capable of using P25 Phase II TDMA.

Last edited by a moderator:

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
I'm assuming that a lot of people no longer follow this hobby in Louisiana with the growing cost of new scanners as well as the sophistication of these new radio systems.

Do not make that assumption. If guys are willing to spend thousands on HAM gear, and on actual commercial/public safety grade radios for monitoring, then they will spend the bucks on the new scanners. Even in areas where LEA's are full encryption, they get the scanners to monitor FD's etc. Stop being accentuated on the negative. Scanning is going to be a viable hobby for a very long time. There are even still areas where you can hear most comms on an analog conventional scanner. Granted, this is growing less and less, and will be over with once the next round of narrowbanding hits and forces everyone to be digital.

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
So when the phase II comes along can our scanners pick that up?

If you have a scanner that can pick up PII (GRE 800, new Unidens 436, 536 or possibly the new Whistlers) then you will be able to hear them. I live in an area where my local SO & PD are fully encrypted on a 700 system & still have several scanners that I listen to. There is a lot more to listen to than when I started to listen years ago.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

wmh225

scan

what scanner do I need to get that will fit the new freq. that they r using r going to be
used

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
For FDMA P25 Phase I, almost any of the BCD396T/XT, BCD996T/XT , GRE PSR-500 or newer, RS PRO-106 or newer. For TDMA P25 Phase II, you will need an GRE PSR-800, BCD436HP, BCD536HP, or one of the 2 new Whistler models about to hit shelves.

Status
Not open for further replies.