New 700 MHz Trunked System in Rock Island County (IL) and Scott County (IA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
A few weeks ago, Rock Island County (IL) and Scott County (IA) were both issues licenses for new 700 MHz trunked sites:

WRNC910 - Rock Island County, with sites in Illinois City and Port Byron (each with different freqs from the other on the license)
WRNC911 - Scott County, with four sites in Iowa (each with identical freqs to the others on the license)
WRNC912 - Scott County, with three sites each in Illinois and Iowa (each with identical freqs to the others on the license)

It appears that these license are for the Quad-Cities P25 Radio Project that was mentioned in this 2019 article in the Quad Cities Times (behind a pay wall, unfortunately).

Does anyone have any further information about this system? Any plans to tie it into the state trunked systems in either Illinois or Iowa?

Last edited:

VASCAR2

The Quad Cities System is a part of the SARA Network where Dubuque Iowa recently went active. Basically a new digital system which is replacing the old RACOM Network. The SARA network has been in the build out phase the last couple years but different than the Iowa ISICS network.

There have been changes to the current RACOM sites getting them ready to switch from the old EDACS system to a new Harris P25 system. I know some of the new mobiles and portables have been delivered to LE agencies in the Quad Cities. I haven’t heard of an exact date for the switch to the new P25 Sara system.

Last edited:

mws72

Premium Subscriber
It's not RACOM digital?
Harris P25

The PDF I saw last year or so mentioned they were going to have a simulcast in the Metro area with separate sites in the rural areas. I know of people who have seen new towers we believe are for the new system. I have been searching 700 but no control channels noticed yet.

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
Harris P25 (snip)
I've seen some discussion elsewhere that Harris P25 Phase II systems are using control channel data that scanners can't currently decode. Hopefully Uniden, etc. will be able to figure this out and issue firmware updates to "fix" this issue. Something to keep in mind if these sites end up being Phase II and your scanner won't decode the control channel properly.

nd5y

I've seen some discussion elsewhere that Harris P25 Phase II systems are using control channel data that scanners can't currently decode. Hopefully Uniden, etc. will be able to figure this out and issue firmware updates to "fix" this issue. Something to keep in mind if these sites end up being Phase II and your scanner won't decode the control channel properly.
It's a TDMA control channel. It's part of the P25 standard so it isn't limited to Harris. Not all Harris systems use it. So far it has only been seen on two electric utilities.

I would not hold my breath on Uniden or Whistler supporting it any time soon if at all.

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
DSD+ Fast Lane added support for TDMA control channel decoding in the latest update with the caveat that voice following was untested. The SDR based models (SDS) may be able to do it via a future firmware update, but as was said, I wouldn't hold my breath.

tepping1

Harris P25

The PDF I saw last year or so mentioned they were going to have a simulcast in the Metro area with separate sites in the rural areas. I know of people who have seen new towers we believe are for the new system. I have been searching 700 but no control channels noticed yet.
All new Harris radios have been installed in vehicles. RACOM for Quad Cities testing for the new p25 system with some agencies will begin Dec 13 and run for 30 days. Mid January all agencies will begin full transition with completion expected by no later than May. My original contact said that DPD ch 1 would remain unencrypted...but today's memo did say that there is no update on any encryption at this time. I would not know about the control channel possibilities mentioned here. I will provide additional info as it's made available. I do know that the contract gave the Illinois RACOM in the Quad Cities the ability to opt out because of costs, however in talking to my other contact there, they are on board.

calebotten15

Premium Subscriber
I noticed yesterday some of the towers are online I wasn't able to get all of the information for them. But noticed they are on.

tepping1

Latest after many, many delays...P 25 for DPD is suppose to go live after the Miss Valley Fair next week. Bad news...it appears that the main dispatch channel will be dark. Not sure about the rest of the QC RACOM...I believe they will be unencrypted but not absolute

tepping1

OK....this is the official. DPD will switch to P25 either on 9-13 or 14. They will go fully encrypted at the end of November. I do not believe the rest of RACOM when converted will make their main dispatch ch dark...stay tuned

Status
Not open for further replies.