TRX-2: New 800 lb. gorilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaFive

Wow, this is only a generic comparison with no real value, but, I have to say. My new TRX 2 crushes, destroys, and humiliates my other "flagship scanners", old and new. All of them are mounted on equal discones, in the same area of my attic, in an array. The weakest, most difficult to discern transmissions are easy to listen to on the TRX 2, both in clarity and strength. After 40 years of turning on multiple generations of scanners, I don't recall such a huge difference. Hats off to Whistler, should have gone to the TRX 2 first.....

AlphaFive

Gorilla

I hesitated to go to this information due to the fact that I only compared two bands. I lack technical knowledge, and I have only had it on for three hours. I did no kind of thorough test, in any way, but,,,,, I tuned in a local A.T.I.S. at 120.2000. The TRX 2, defeated an old Pro 2020, that just loves V.H.F. Same for my 536Hp, and Pro 197. There were no loses of the signal, due to the weak power of the transmitter. The reception was solid.
I put in a relatively new, local P25 system Asheville uses, an 800 Mhz system. I found no static, broken transmissions, or hesitation to display any information, which has occurred with my 536 and Pro 197. I felt as if the person transmitting was sitting next to me. As I said, this is not much, only my personal opinion, I'm happy I bought the unit. Take care, Lance
All of my discones run 25 ft. of Beldan 9913.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm happy I bought the unit. Take care, Lance

And that right there is what -truly- matters.
It's too easy for people to tear into the technical matters on this, pick apart every detail. In the end, this is a hobby and personal enjoyment is the deliverable. If you are happy with the end results, then that alone should be enough.

All of my discones run 25 ft. of Beldan 9913.

Ignoring what I just said above…

If the antennas are the same and the cables are the same, then the only variable is the location. Things like multi-path can come into play, local interference, etc.
Try swapping the antennas and see if the same holds true. Probably does, but would be an interesting experiment.

Since these are consumer radios, I doubt most of the manufacturers spend a lot of effort into tuning the radios, or more specifically the filtering, as well as they could. Add in component tolerances, etc. and that can explain some of the variables.

But, like I said, what matters most is that you are happy with the outcome.
I do appreciate when others post comparisons like this. While they often get torn apart or challenged, it's interesting to hear of side by side comparisons between equipment.

Last edited:

Machria

Premium Subscriber
I'll chime in here, I am one of those that complain about many of the technical aspects of these scanners, like the battery situation/lack of docking station, terrible 1980's style interfaces....

But also just bought the TRX1 a few months ago and within hours knew I had made a GREAT decision. It is 100 times easier to use than my Uniden was, especially right out of the box. I'm no expert on scanners, and I use only every so often, so easy to use is VERY important to me. In 3 hours with the TRX1, I was able to do more than I was able to do with my 396bcd in a couple years, no kidding.

Whistler just needs to improve EZscan a bit, and add a few more features to the TRX1 and fix some of the digital system receive issues the more advanced users complain about (which I know nothing about). Then they will be the leader of the pack !!

Status
Not open for further replies.