New 996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

brusso99

Just got my new 996xt and have some questions

1 I want to scan a talk group only.. my program has the city of coral springs florida and i want to scan inside tg 5 only how can i do this?

2. for whatever reason once i scan some non trunk band like news, the scanner scans and includes that with the systems..

3. if i manualy set the programs from radio reference on screen data base is there a reason to buy the data, is there more info in the downloads to my software..

4 would you go with the butel software which seems nicer or someother thrid party program, i have freescan also.

Thanks
Brett

sjlamb

Just got my new 996xt and have some questions

1 I want to scan a talk group only.. my program has the city of coral springs florida and i want to scan inside tg 5 only how can i do this?

Thanks
Brett

Forgive me but, it sounds as though you lack even a basic understanding of how to set-up Systems, Sites and Groups in your programming. Any effort to guide you is going to sound like total gibberish until you do some reading to learn how to manage and organize your radio's DMA memory architecture.

In addition to learning about setting up Systems, Sites and Groups; you will need to gain a clear understanding of how to further refine your programming with System and Group "Quick Keys". Once you understand how to do all of this, you will be able to activate or deactivate different groups, tower sites or even entire radio systems at will.

You will also need to make sure that you do not have conventional frequencies mixed into the same "System" as trunked radio frequencies and talkgroups. There are countless past threads in this forum on programming of trunked radio systems and how to use "Quick Keys" to control what is currently enabled or disable as you scan.

"I want to scan inside TG5" tells us nothing. What do you mean by "scan inside"? You either have a TG activated or you don't. If activated, you'll hear any units talking that are part of that TG. What is TG5? Is it a single TG in the Coral Springs radio system? Does Coral Springs have its' own radio system or do they operate as part of a Countywide System? What type of sytem is it: Motorala? EDACS? Conventional? Digital? Analog? Trunked or Non-Trunked?

In short... your first question does not have a quick, easy to understand answer. You will need to do some homework first to grasp proper programming and memory organization of your XT. To begin.... read the stickys for new users and do searches on the Uniden Forum for XT programming and "Quick Keys".

Very experienced people on this forum will be happy to help you with ALL of your questions but have neither the time or energy to post page upon page of advice and directions that have already been thoroughly covered in previous threads, the online reference manual and or multiple "stickys" on the exact types of questions you are asking. The efforts of other forum members will mirror your own efforts to learn. No more; no less.

For the moment... FreeScan will more than meet your needs in my opinion.

Now... the short answers to your first question is:

(1) Create a new group within the System and call it something like "Talkgroup 5" (or whatever else you like)
(2) Assign a unique Group Quick Key to the new group in step one
(3) Within the newly created "Talkgroup 5", add theTalkgroup ID # for Talkgroup 5 only.

To hear ONLY talkgroup 5, disable all other groups within this system via programmed Quick Keys. You will also need to disable all other programmed system and conventional channels.

Last edited:

brusso99

thaks for the info.. understand that people on forums are always going to ask about things covered before.. i had read alot of info and not found the answer.. i have the scanner set up with a program i got from a local. the unit is a bit hard to work. i have everything locked out now. and the talk group i want open.. its hit or miss when pressing buttons if your in the mode where you can add in other groups. alittle more thought could go into making this unit more user friendly. i cant imagine taking this someplace and programming it without the computer.

Thanks
Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.