New addict

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliKid40

Hi everyone. I'm new and wanted to introduce myself.

I've got the scanner operational and can pick-up some local transmittions for public safety.
Currently tuned to some of the conventional channels and would like to explore some of the trunking features.

I found some information on the Wiki reference for El Dorado County Alert Tones. Is this information related to trunked transmittions? I'm a little confused on the trunking set-up on the scanner. Can someone guide me through the process?

Thank you.

captclint

Mentor
Currently tuned to some of the conventional channels and would like to explore some of the trunking features. I found some information on the Wiki reference for El Dorado County Alert Tones. Is this information related to trunked transmittions?
Welcome to RR. Tones have nothing to do with Trunking per se'. There appears to be 2 Fire dispatch freq's for your county, and typically tones would be broadcast on one of these to open up the selected fire pagers so that only the affected fire/EMS companies would be dispatched. There appears to be only one public safety trunking systems here: - El Dorado County : Nevada Shared Radio System Trunking System, although you may also want to try some of the business trunking systems listed at the bottom of the El Dorado county page.
In order to go any further, we would need to know your scanner, and any programming software you have.

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to RadioReference.com !!!

Welcome to RadioReference.com, I am right down the highway from you.

Currently tuned to some of the conventional channels and would like to explore some of the trunking features.

I found some information on the Wiki reference for El Dorado County Alert Tones. Is this information related to trunked transmittions? I'm a little confused on the trunking set-up on the scanner. Can someone guide me through the process?
There are currently no Public Safety Trunked Radio Systems (TRSs) in El Dorado County. Most everything there is plain old conventional VHF (which I really like).

Depending on your exact location you might be able to pick up the Sacramento TRS (or if on the eastern side, as mentioned, a Nevada site). There are transmitters right on the county line next to highway 50. It is one of the better places in the area to pick up stuff from quite a distance.

As far as exact steps are concerned, that depends on the exact scanner(s) you are using. You can see in my tagline below the scanners I typically operate. I use software to program the programmable models. This makes a huge difference when programming 1000 frequencies, a couple hundered talkgroups and all with 16 character alpha tags.

We are planning another get together for Sacramento area scanner hobbyists. I think this will be our 3rd meeting, not counting a couple where people just hung out in vehicles. Check this thread for more info.

Regardless, feel free to ask what you'd like. But knowing where you are, what you are using, and the exact things you want to hear will help us help you.

CaliKid40

Welcome to RR. Tones have nothing to do with Trunking per se'. There appears to be 2 Fire dispatch freq's for your county, and typically tones would be broadcast on one of these to open up the selected fire pagers so that only the affected fire/EMS companies would be dispatched. There appears to be only one public safety trunking systems here: - El Dorado County : Nevada Shared Radio System Trunking System, although you may also want to try some of the business trunking systems listed at the bottom of the El Dorado county page.
In order to go any further, we would need to know your scanner, and any programming software you have.

Thank you captclint for clarifying the alert tones and their non-relation to trunked systems. I'm curious as to their purpose in the world of scanning. There appears to be several associated with nearby public safety and I would like to receive the transmittions if possible. I live in Cameron Park, Ca 95682 and I'm using a Uniden BC346XT. I've purchased an aftermarket 800MHz antenna, but if all I can tune in to is conventional frequencies in the public safety band, then I suppose it won't help much. I'd really like to maximize the potential of the scanner by tuning to as many frequencies as possible.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Sean

CaliKid40

Welcome to RadioReference.com, I am right down the highway from you.

There are currently no Public Safety Trunked Radio Systems (TRSs) in El Dorado County. Most everything there is plain old conventional VHF (which I really like).

Depending on your exact location you might be able to pick up the Sacramento TRS (or if on the eastern side, as mentioned, a Nevada site). There are transmitters right on the county line next to highway 50. It is one of the better places in the area to pick up stuff from quite a distance.

As far as exact steps are concerned, that depends on the exact scanner(s) you are using. You can see in my tagline below the scanners I typically operate. I use software to program the programmable models. This makes a huge difference when programming 1000 frequencies, a couple hundered talkgroups and all with 16 character alpha tags.

We are planning another get together for Sacramento area scanner hobbyists. I think this will be our 3rd meeting, not counting a couple where people just hung out in vehicles. Check this thread for more info.

Regardless, feel free to ask what you'd like. But knowing where you are, what you are using, and the exact things you want to hear will help us help you.

Thank you gmclam. I have downloaded freescan, but I need to get the programming cable. I was shocked to see that the new scanner (Uniden BC346XT) I bought came with a serial cable. I live in Cameron Park 95682. I am enjoying the conventional signals I'm receiving now, but I would like to believe there is more out there. Thanks for the link and information for the Sacramento meeting.

Regards,

Sean

captclint

Mentor
Thank you captclint for clarifying the alert tones and their non-relation to trunked systems. I'm curious as to their purpose in the world of scanning.
I believe Uniden scanners are the only ones to date that will respond to FTO's. This is not a very useful feature unless you are in a fire company, or your want to be awaken in the middle of the night. The reason is that the scanner must be parked on the tone-out that you have programmed, and does not scan anything in that mode. However, it will remain silent when other tones from different companies are used, and only open up for what you have programmed. Nice feature, but with limited use IMHO.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
...I live in Cameron Park 95682. I am enjoying the conventional signals I'm receiving now, but I would like to believe there is more out there. Thanks for the link and information for the Sacramento meeting.
You're welcome Sean. I am monitoring frequencies from here that are about 100 mile radius for fire calls, and select law enforcement. So it does depend on how far away you can pick up, and what you want to pick up.

For the immediate area there is El Dorado Sheriff, Placerville PD, Camino Fire, Cal Fire Camino and CHP Green. Venturing beyond that there are several USFS channels that are especially busy in the summer time, and when a (forest) fire breaks out, you can't keep up.

If Folsom PD is close enough to be of interest, you'd pick that up from the Sacramento TRS. Of course I also monitor Placer county and all the small cities between here and Auburn, Amador County Sheriff, Jackson PD, etc. There is also State Parks which is quite active in the Folsom Lake area. Next would be all of the statewide frequencies such as CLEMARS, DOJ, DEA, etc. The thing is with those channels is you never know what area they are working in until you pick them up; and sometimes it is in that area.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I am sorry for the late reply. I hate the fact that this site now limits the messages to 10 pages when clicking on "new posts". During busy times, it quickly exceeds that number and anything older is literally not shown. I had to manually track down your post.

CHP Green Base (dispatcher) is 42.540 MHz CT:179.9.
CHP Green Mobile (cars) is 42.240 MHz CT:179.9.
You should also program
CHP Blue Base: 42.340 MHz CT:179.9
CHP Blue Mobile: 42.180 MHz CT:179.9

They will be switching to new channels soon in our area. The new channels are:
CHP Green2 Base: 45.360 MHz CT:173.8
CHP Green2 Mobile: 42.640 MHz CT:173.8
CHP Blue2 Base: 44.840 MHz CT:173.8
CHP Blue2 Mobile: 42.360 MHz CT:173.8

You should also program:
CHP Extenders: 154.905 MHz
CHP Aircraft: 122.875 MHZ AM

The CHP uses a unique radio system that many people have trouble monitoring. I personally love it. But it does take a good (VHF low band) antenna and understanding of how 2 frequencies work together for each channel. The switchover to new channels will allow "repeating" of mobiles, but that is not 100% guaranteeed. Read more here

Last edited:

CaliKid40

Thanks gmclam. No problem at all on the response. Thank you for taking the time to assist me with this.

Much appreciated.

Quick question, as I'm new to this (only a couple of weeks)....Are these trunked frequencies or conventional? When I program my scanner (Uniden BC346XT), it will prompt me for the type of system. I'm not sure if you're familiar with this scanner, but I thought I would ask.

Best Regards,

Sean

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Are these trunked frequencies or conventional? When I program my scanner (Uniden BC346XT), it will prompt me for the type of system. I'm not sure if you're familiar with this scanner, but I thought I would ask.
CHP are conventional frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.