NEW AL-500 Gain Air Now Available in "SMA"

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are the first to receive the brand new direct "SMA" version of the popular The High Gain Maldol AL-500 . No need for adapters with BCD-396T, BR-330T ect ....

Last edited by a moderator:

MacombMonitor

I've used the "BNC" version of this antenna for Selfridge Air Base...worked very well! It's a little long, but very flexible, almost limp, so you won't hurt yourself with it! :wink:

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
Always wondered about putting a long antenna onto an SMA connector.... How light is this? Will it put extra strain on the SMA connector if you waggle it about?

MacombMonitor

Napalm said:
Always wondered about putting a long antenna onto an SMA connector.... How light is this? Will it put extra strain on the SMA connector if you waggle it about?

It's very long, 20"! But only the first 2" or so are rigid. The remainder of the antenna is almost as thin as angel hair pasta! It's very flexible, and puts no strain on the radio. It's barely firm enough to hold itself up...but it does.

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
wow, sounds interesting. Bandwidth can't be very good, but then again everything you put onto a handheld will be a compromise in some way. If you've ever seen a "Super-Gainer" antenna, that's what I have been using (with BNC to SMA adaptor) and I get all kinds of creaking noises from my 330T. I hate using it.

MacombMonitor

Napalm said:
Bandwidth can't be very good, but then again everything you put onto a handheld will be a compromise in some way.

Bandwidth is excellent:

116~174 MHz
230~360 MHz

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
Nice, should do "OK" for UHF Mil-air. Just need to see if they ship to the UK.

Thanks Macomb.

Status
Not open for further replies.