New Albany Fire wants to join SAFE-T

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
http://www.newsandtribune.com/local/local_story_156134830.html

AFD receives 911 funds

Prior to the start of the commissioners meeting, New Albany Fire Department Chief Matt Juliot and Capt. Matt Boyer made their plea for 911 funds to help offset the cost of a new radio system.

The fire department wants to join the Hoosier Safety 800 megahertz system in order to update its communication system. The system allows the fire department to talk to other emergency personnel across the state who are on the system, as well as with Louisville’s Fire Department.

The $600,000 needed would pay for three console units for dispatchers and 37 portable radios.

“Everyone north of Bloomington is already on this,” Juliot said.

He said the current radio system, purchased in 2005, is “outdated” and is not appropriate for firefighters.

He said the radios are not waterproof and many times do not work in wet and smoky conditions. He said managers at Wal-Mart carry the same type of radios.

“We need something now,” Boyer said.

The city already has committed $300,000 for the new system. Juliot said he has also applied for a

$1 million federal grant and hopes to hear an answer on that application by March.

The commissioners said they understand the need, but said in 2005 they gave the NAFD $536,000 for a radio system which is now outdated. They also said only $513,000 remains in the 911 fund which the commissioners administer.

The commissioners eventually agreed to provide $150,000 to the system. Juliot seemed pleased with the compromise and said he would ask the city council to come up with the remaining $150,000.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Somebody needs to start asking some basic questions about the fire department's purchasing policies.

According to this article, they bought a radio system three years ago that is now "outdated". That's a meaningless term without additional qualification. To some, the latest VHF conventional radio would be outdated. To others, the Motorola XTS-5000s we bought in 2005 for Project SAFE-T are outdated.

They bought radios for firefighters that aren't waterproof? Sounds like a huge oversight.

They bought commercial-grade radios as opposed to public safety-grade radios? I guess that's what the reference to Wal-Mart means.

Who's to say that spending another $600k wouldn't also result in outdated and inappropriate radios? Heck, if you ask me, sending a firefighter into a burning building with a trunked, digital, 800MHz radio is inappropriate, but what do I know?

One final question, how is buying into Indiana's Project SAFE-T going to help them talk to Louisville?

Steve73

Their current system is a business LTR system with low end radios that are not designed for the rugged use a fire department radio sometimes gets. Poor decision by the admin in the first place.

They are going on the Safe-T system. If I understand correctly they are going to get four analog ID's for fireground in addition to their assigned digital ID's.

As far as communicating with Louisville, they are referring to when Louisville's digital system comes online. We have been told that Safe-T and Metrosafe system will be compatible with each other.

jerk

Somebody needs to start asking some basic questions about the fire department's purchasing policies.

According to this article, they bought a radio system three years ago that is now "outdated". That's a meaningless term without additional qualification. To some, the latest VHF conventional radio would be outdated. To others, the Motorola XTS-5000s we bought in 2005 for Project SAFE-T are outdated.

They bought radios for firefighters that aren't waterproof? Sounds like a huge oversight.

They bought commercial-grade radios as opposed to public safety-grade radios? I guess that's what the reference to Wal-Mart means.

Who's to say that spending another $600k wouldn't also result in outdated and inappropriate radios? Heck, if you ask me, sending a firefighter into a burning building with a trunked, digital, 800MHz radio is inappropriate, but what do I know?

One final question, how is buying into Indiana's Project SAFE-T going to help them talk to Louisville?
Louisville is going to a new trunked system, right now NA is on VHF and Louisville is on UHF
They were on an 800 MHz LTR system, they recently moved back to VHF.

jerk

Their current system is a business LTR system with low end radios that are not designed for the rugged use a fire department radio sometimes gets. Poor decision by the admin in the first place.

They are going on the Safe-T system. If I understand correctly they are going to get four analog ID's for fireground in addition to their assigned digital ID's.

As far as communicating with Louisville, they are referring to when Louisville's digital system comes online. We have been told that Safe-T and Metrosafe system will be compatible with each other.
They moved back to their old VHF repeater. Fire is simulcast on LTR, probably for the police to monitor. They will have to have some type of "radio bridge" or radio programmed for both systems. Metro dispatch currently has this capability. Louisville is supposed to be all digital. But with the right radio being bought by NA, it will not be a problem.

They currently have the following assigned on Safe-T
31808 D 22 NAFD DISP New Albany Fire Dispatch Fire Dispatch
31824 D 22 NAFD OPS New Albany Fire Operations 1 Fire-Tac
31840 D 22 NAFD OPS New Albany Fire Operations 2 Fire-Tac

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Louisville is going to a new trunked system, right now NA is on VHF and Louisville is on UHF.
It was kind of a rhetorical question on my part, though I'm surprised Louisville isn't on an 800MHz trunked system already. Any idea what kind of system Louisville is getting?

My SAFE-T radio has MECA talk groups in it, so I know that a Motorola XTS-series radio can be programmed to work on two different trunked systems. It's amazingly seemless to the user. Within one zone, one channel can be SAFE-T and the next channel MECA.

I just hope they understand that they won't be able to use their SAFE-T radios on Louisville's system without asking Louisville for the programming keys and doing some additional programming on their radios.

jerk

It was kind of a rhetorical question on my part, though I'm surprised Louisville isn't on an 800MHz trunked system already. Any idea what kind of system Louisville is getting?

My SAFE-T radio has MECA talk groups in it, so I know that a Motorola XTS-series radio can be programmed to work on two different trunked systems. It's amazingly seemless to the user. Within one zone, one channel can be SAFE-T and the next channel MECA.

I just hope they understand that they won't be able to use their SAFE-T radios on Louisville's system without asking Louisville for the programming keys and doing some additional programming on their radios.
Yes I know that... Radios will do amazing things if only people would ask and not take the first answer as correct. The XTS will do several systems, not sure how many but it's more than two.
I hope they figure it out. Louisville is getting a P25 Motorola system, should be up and running in another year or two... if all goes well. They have a test system up and running right now. Limited number of sites and radio only though.

New Albany is part of Louisville for all practical purposes. And Louisville does limited mutual Aid with NA. Right now all agencies are on conventional VHF or UHF

jerk

Making progress?

new albany fire department
316 east spring street
new albany IN 47150
Callsign: WQIZ345
Radio Service: PA-PA
applicant engaged in emergency services. wireless connectivity will
help coordinate these activities

Action: ISSUED
Area of Operation
----------------------------------------------------------------------