new all band icom portable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

n8emr

Just saw pop up on the FCC web site a new Icom DC-daylight portable radio. The icoim rx7
150khz to 1.3ghz.
splash resistant.
1600 memory and 26 banks.
pc programable.

mancow

Database Admin
No internal recorder like the R-20?

That's cheez.....

That's a feature I can't live without in a comm. receiver after having one with it.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Very few HF handhelds have SSB capability. SSB could have made this a standout radio.

w8hey

I saw this the other day on universal-radio's website as well. I also agree -- lack of SSB really makes this "meh" to me, though I've never owned a handheld HF with SSB, so I don't know how well it would receive anyway.

rwl48

I can live with out SSB.But what the heck are they thinking? No P25 option either.:mad:

eug

Shucks, i was hoping for a new scanner with built-in reaction tune/close call/flash tune. Does anyone know if icom has a DJ-X2000 in the pipeline?

mancow

Database Admin
No SSB? That's really a downer.

I thought it was supposed to be a follow-on to the R-20 but I guess it's a mid tier model. You can't beat the R-20 for it's SSB quality. It sounds like a desktop radio.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
though I've never owned a handheld HF with SSB, so I don't know how well it would receive anyway.
I have SSB on my Yaesu VR-500. On a scale of 1 to 5 (5=best), I'd rate the SSB a 3.5. It's not the best SSB in the world, but it's certainly not garbage either.

With a whip antenna, it's pretty easy to pick up 80m/40m/20m, HF utility, NAV beacons in CW mode, etc. I'm glad I have it.

w8hey

I have SSB on my Yaesu VR-500. On a scale of 1 to 5 (5=best), I'd rate the SSB a 3.5. It's not the best SSB in the world, but it's certainly not garbage either.

With a whip antenna, it's pretty easy to pick up 80m/40m/20m, HF utility, NAV beacons in CW mode, etc. I'm glad I have it.

Thanks for the info. I've been considering an HF handheld -- just didn't know how well they'd do.

naSTI

I agree.. No SSB *OR* No Digital (P25 or D-Star) capability/option? NO THANKS, I'LL PASS.

The price needs to be $149. At this day and age, what advantage does this receiver have over handheld receivers of 5 or even 10 years ago? There's nothing attractive about this radio's features, but it looks nice.

Meh, meh and MEH!

Status
Not open for further replies.