New and Confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennyc716

Today, I went out and purchased a Radio Shack Pro 106 Scanner. While I was there, the salesman told me that this scanner is very difficult to use and suggested I purchase a Scanner Programming Cable with trial software. I went on to this RR site and I am only trying to put one county in my scanner. Problem is, I am like lost on Mars when it comes to figuring this out. I went back to Radio Shack and that guy didnt know anymore then I do. Can someone please direct me on how to do this? I greatly appreciate all the help I can get.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Today, I went out and purchased a Radio Shack Pro 106 Scanner. While I was there, the salesman told me that this scanner is very difficult to use and suggested I purchase a Scanner Programming Cable with trial software. I went on to this RR site and I am only trying to put one county in my scanner. Problem is, I am like lost on Mars when it comes to figuring this out. I went back to Radio Shack and that guy didnt know anymore then I do. Can someone please direct me on how to do this? I greatly appreciate all the help I can get.

Well, first of all never believe what scamshack people tell you,because it won't be correct.
The pro-106 is very easy to use, BUT you have to follow directions and be patient!
The pro-106 is also a learning curve, and you'll find out most of what you need by saving this link,

Easier to Read Pro-106/197/PSR500/600 Digital Scanner Manual

n9zas

captclint

Mentor
Today, I went out and purchased a Radio Shack Pro 106 Scanner I went on to this RR site and I am only trying to put one county in my scanner.
I agree that RS is wrong most of the time. However, I do agree that software will make you programming easier. In fact, with the right software and cable, you can log onto this site and download some or all of the frequencies for you county. It will automatically set up the necessary organization for your scanner. See: Programming Your Radio Shack Scanner

Last edited:

rwier

Hi Denny,

I looked up that 106 on line and it looks remarkably like my PSR-500. So similar, in fact, that I (among others) may be of some assistance.

"Today"? Lol! I purchased my 500 some years ago. It has been only within the last 6 months that I finally got it up to "near perfect operation". I probably spent the first three days reading the manual without touching the radio.

Did you get the proper cable? Have you successfully installed the correct driver for it (if necessary)? You will want to continue programming this fine radio for a much longer period of time than any "trial period". Plan on obtaining a full featured software for this radio in the near future.

Be patient, form your questions clearly, completely, and with precise language. You are at the right place to receive excellent assistance, but maybe just not instantly (lol). Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Rob

Edit: I use Win500 (agree with Highpockets) and PSREdit, interchangeably.

Last edited:

dennyc716

I just signed up and paid 30.00 for the RR membership. I definately have the right cord. I checked and it clearly says the model number on the back. I downloaded the software from the CD and got my email back from RR saying im a premier member.

LOL So what do i do now? LOL I use to have a Pro 95 long ago but my cousin programed it for me. Lord have mercy, you need to be a friggen brain scientist to figure these things out. LOL

rwier

I just signed up and paid 30.00 for the RR membership. I definately have the right cord. I checked and it clearly says the model number on the back. I downloaded the software from the CD and got my email back from RR saying im a premier member.

LOL So what do i do now? LOL I use to have a Pro 95 long ago but my cousin programed it for me. Lord have mercy, you need to be a friggen brain scientist to figure these things out. LOL

Does that software have a name?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
We have a couple of things in the following article that can help (anything in blue is a link...) -

Programming Your Radio Shack Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

You say you have a 'scanner programming cable' - for newer PCs, it would need to be a USB-serial cable to work. The Connecting scanners via USB article talks about this in detail, along with some information on Windoze Device Manager to help debug any issues. The link is right in the prologue.

There are also links to the Easier to Read guides (there's one for the 106) as well as a user guide for ARC500 which is found at the very bottom in the software section

best regards..Mike

rwier

I think it is ARC500 that comes on the CD.

Hi RR,

Is there a chance I should have received a CD (ARC500) when I purchased my 500? If so, I'll start a difficult search of the premises, lol.

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited:

rwier

Hi RR,

Is there a chance I should have received a CD (ARC500) when I purchased my 500? If so, I'll start a difficult search of the premises, lol.

Thanks,
Rob

Ok, I just checked ScannerMaster, and I see it's an option. Don't think I ever got it.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Quite right - the RS scanners make you buy that separately...the USB article I referred to earlier has the model numbers - and note that the GRE and RS cables are the same thing, so if you can't get it from RS it can be ordered

Mike

dennyc716

The software that is included just says BUTEL? Sorry, im really not very scanner savy. When i hit the start software, it does say ARC 500. Another radio shack guy in a different store talked me through getting some channels but the county i want, is from 2008 and i know they have changed systems. Will that matter?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The software that is included just says BUTEL? Sorry, im really not very scanner savy. When i hit the start software, it does say ARC 500. Another radio shack guy in a different store talked me through getting some channels but the county i want, is from 2008 and i know they have changed systems. Will that matter?
If they have changed systems, since 2008, then yes, it is giong to matter.

Is this your county?
It appears that your city PD is on this system.
Fire, apparently, is on the county's trunked system:
Wicomico County Public Safety Trunking System, Salisbury, Maryland - Scanner Frequencies

dennyc716

No, Im trying to pick up Ocean City Maryland police/fire/ems. I am receiving the Wicomico Co feeds but nothign from OC or worcester county

dennyc716

Yes, now what do i do with that? LOL Is there a way I can update the system or what should I do. I apologize for my scanner incompotence. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.