• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New and have questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Um... If you are looking to monitor an encrypted system that is a crime, and noone will help you with that. If its just an open PV system, i suggest you read the topics in this forum, it has everything you need to know and then some.

andyishere

okay. Thanks. I am just new to this thing and people keep telling me things and I'm just a little confused. I know they are ProVoice IMBE Digital.

Last edited:

VE3RADIO

okay. Thanks. I am just new to this thing and people keep telling me things and I'm just a little confused. I know they are ProVoice IMBE Digital.

There are too many wildcards to to go out and tell you what to buy, you might need a LPE200, you might need a Jaguar 700p.. and in both cases you need option 29.

andyishere

Hold on, it is Illegal to monitor any of their things correct? So I can't listen with one of their radios anyway?

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Monitoring a digital system is not illegal, but obtaining keys and using them to listen to a secured (encrypted) system is. WZ1 is correct, you need a radio with a few features.

04, 05, 06 for basic EDACS operation.
12 and 29 for ProVoice. (12 might not be needed, not sure about that)

If the system is ESK, forget about it. Without the smart card and software you wont be able to program the radio.
You will also need a good understanding of the system setup, ALL the LCN's, their order, and any neighbor sites. You will need to find a LID that is not in use to avoid causing issues if they try to ping the radio for ProFiling/location detection.

Setting up a radio to monitor these systems is not for the faint hearted. It can be done with the proper hardware but expect to spend ~$500+ on a radio, $100 for the programming cable, and then you need to get the software to actually program it, which last i knew, was about $2,500. Easiest option would be find someone in the know and have them help you to keep yourself out of trouble.

</rant>

Other than that, yea, it can be done :)

andyishere

Well I knew that monitoring an encrypted signal/decoding is illegal! I also knew that it would take a long time and many super computers. I just did not know if they are fully encrypted. I might have someone to program a radio.

Thanks.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Yea unfortunately the only way to be sure if they are encrypted or not, is to program up a radio and see. At least for now.

davidbond21

04, 05, 06 for basic EDACS operation.
12 and 29 for ProVoice. (12 might not be needed, not sure about that)

You know, I'm not exactly sure what features need to be installed for EDACS operation; I have a couple radios that don't have 05 or 06 and they work fine. Every radio I've bought so far has had 04 installed, but you really do want that since it is group scan.

You don't need option 12, as that's for AEGIS, but I think any radio that can run ProVoice, has the hardware to do AEGIS, it just has to be flashed for it. You do need the magic option 29 in the radio for sure.

You will also need a good understanding of the system setup, ALL the LCN's, their order, and any neighbor sites. You will need to find a LID that is not in use to avoid causing issues if they try to ping the radio for ProFiling/location detection.

Setting up a radio to monitor these systems is not for the faint hearted. It can be done with the proper hardware but expect to spend ~$500+ on a radio, $100 for the programming cable, and then you need to get the software to actually program it, which last i knew, was about $2,500. Easiest option would be find someone in the know and have them help you to keep yourself out of trouble.

You're right about a lot of this. I would say that the programming is not for the faint of heart, if you're a beginner. Once you've done it a couple times(successfully), it's pretty straightforward. The question is, are you going learn by trial and error and possibly get your radio zapped by a system admin or worse yet, cause disruptions to a public safety system? That said, EDACS systems are extremely easy in getting a radio to listen in, without it actually logging on or letting anybody know it's there, and this can all be set in the software during programming.

In response to andyishere's question about legalities, here's the deal as far as I understand it. Even though you can render an EDACS radio incapable of transmitting or logging onto a system, by the letter of the law, you would still have public safety frequencies that you are not authorized for programmed into the transmitter, and here's why. An EDACS 800 MHz radio operates within a bandsplit, meaning the transmit frequencies are 45 MHz lower than the receive frequencies, and this is completely fixed and unchangeable. What this means as far as radio programming is concerned, is that when setting up a trunked system, you only enter the transmit frequencies into the radio, and the receive frequencies are automatically calculated. So technically, for the radio to work in trunked mode, you have to enter the transmit frequencies, even though you will never use them.

Now this can be gotten around, though it's significantly more expensive, but in a case like mine, unavoidable if you want to listen to a ProVoice/ESK system. If the system is employing ESK, then you can't even program the radio to listen to the system. You can still monitor them using the Digital Voice Conversion Method described in the wiki, and this would be completely lawful, because in that case your ProVoice radio is programmed with a single conventional channel, receive only with no frequency entered into the transmitter so you would be in compliance with the law in this case, as per my understanding. But that project is quite an undertaking if you are serious about it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.