New and need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazzedkanuk

I am very new to using a scanner, so I have been doing alot of reading and would like some advice from the experienced before I purchase. I am looking for a handheld scanner.
1 choice - Uniden BC-95XLT
2 choice - Uniden BC-72XLT
3 choice - Uniden BC-346XT
for this area. Essex County, Ontario (ON) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Mostly looking for Kingsville fire and other surrounding fire departments. I believe I need the 800 MHz for Windsor fire and Rescue. It looks like I need a trunked system for Essex County fire so I may have to go with my 3rd choice.

Any help is appreciated
Derek

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am very new to using a scanner, so I have been doing alot of reading and would like some advice from the experienced before I purchase. I am looking for a handheld scanner.
for this area. Essex County, Ontario (ON) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Mostly looking for Kingsville fire and other surrounding fire departments. I believe I need the 800 MHz for Windsor fire and Rescue. It looks like I need a trunked system for Essex County fire so I may have to go with my 3rd choice.

Any help is appreciated
Derek
Welcome to RadioReference, Derek

For Kingsville, you could use any of the three scanners you list. Past that, the news is not as clear cut.

For Essex County Fire (if this is the system you are looking at: Essex County Fire Trunking System, Windsor, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies), that's an LTR Passport system. None of the scanners you list, nor any others on the market will trunk track that specific type. Regular LTR systems, yes, many scanners can handle that; LTR Passport, no. However, in many cases, you may be able to hear trafic on that system by simply programming the frequencies in as conventional channels. I have a Passport system in in the DFW area, used by one of the Medevac operators, that scan that way. You can track specific talk groups, but you can hear the radio traffic.

For Windsor, either the 95XLT or the 346XT would cover the two conventional "talkaround" channels listed (866.2500 & 866.3750). However, the bulk of Windsor's fire operations appear to be on the P25 (digital) trunk system:
Windsor Public Safety Project 25 System Trunking System, Windsor, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies
If you really wanted to catch the digital traffic, then instead of the scanners you have listed, you'd need to be looking at a BCD396XT, Pro-106, PSR-500, or the previous Uniden model BCD396T. While the new price is considerably more than the scanners you initially asked about, you may be able to find a gently used scanner for less (sometimes much less).

Note that for Bell Fleetnet, while it's a Motorola Type II system, many of it's talkgroups are digital, with quite a few also encrypted (nothing will scan encrypted talkgroups).

You might also check down in your regional forum below, to see which of the models listed seems to work best in your area.

krazzedkanuk

Welcome to RadioReference, Derek

For Kingsville, you could use any of the three scanners you list. Past that, the news is not as clear cut.

For Essex County Fire (if this is the system you are looking at: Essex County Fire Trunking System, Windsor, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies), that's an LTR Passport system. None of the scanners you list, nor any others on the market will trunk track that specific type. Regular LTR systems, yes, many scanners can handle that; LTR Passport, no. However, in many cases, you may be able to hear trafic on that system by simply programming the frequencies in as conventional channels. I have a Passport system in in the DFW area, used by one of the Medevac operators, that scan that way. You can track specific talk groups, but you can hear the radio traffic.

For Windsor, either the 95XLT or the 346XT would cover the two conventional "talkaround" channels listed (866.2500 & 866.3750). However, the bulk of Windsor's fire operations appear to be on the P25 (digital) trunk system:
Windsor Public Safety Project 25 System Trunking System, Windsor, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies
If you really wanted to catch the digital traffic, then instead of the scanners you have listed, you'd need to be looking at a BCD396XT, Pro-106, PSR-500, or the previous Uniden model BCD396T. While the new price is considerably more than the scanners you initially asked about, you may be able to find a gently used scanner for less (sometimes much less).

Note that for Bell Fleetnet, while it's a Motorola Type II system, many of it's talkgroups are digital, with quite a few also encrypted (nothing will scan encrypted talkgroups).

You might also check down in your regional forum below, to see which of the models listed seems to work best in your area.

Thank you very helpful

N8IAA

Any help is appreciated
Derek

Essex county fire is LTR Passport. Unfortunately, can't be heard as a trunking system on any of the past and present day scanners. It has been listened to by putting in the frequencies as conventional.
HTH,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.