New and need help for buying scanner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flbiker

I want to buy a new scanner. I dont know much. However I want one that.1 pick up police and emergentcies. 2. one that gets cell phone and mobile phone. 3 one that gets every thing as much as I can afford. 4 one that is user friendly. I can spend up to $500. +. I know that I would have to order from canada or some were else. I would also like to know where is best to buy from. I have spent hours doing leg work but still dont know enough so I thought asking some oldtimer's in this feild would be best. I dont know if i need digital or not? Please help so I can stop pulling what hair I have left. Thanks Brian

w4rez

Why even bother with cell phones? Legality notwithstanding, most cell phones nowadays are digital and can't be monitored with a scanner even if you can put the freqs in it.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Need More Info

flbiker said:
I dont know if i need digital or not?
Well, Brian, to know where you live and would be using the scanner would really help us answer this question much better.

Also, it would be very helpful to know if you want a handheld (HT) or a mobile (mounted in your car or on your desk, etc.).

With that being said and assuming you want an HT, I would suggest a Uniden BCD396T. My second choice would be a Radio Shack PRO-96. Both of these should fit into your budget you gave us.

Answer the above questions and I (we) will be able to give you more specific and directed answers.

Also, welcome to the club. ;)

flbiker

Thanks for the replie! I am in ocala florida (north central) between gainsville and orlando. I want hand held! Thanks Brian

zangler

if you have the money and want digital go pro-96, if digital is not a big deal go pro-97

davidd2957

You would properly be better off posting this question in the regional forums to the area od coverage concern. In this case Florida. There is also a Canada forum if you want to buy a scanner in Canada.
David D.

Status
Not open for further replies.