New and need some advice please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcgaz

I purchased a BCD436HP and I'm awaiting its arrival later this week. After my purchase, I found this forum and AZ discussion group and I'm questioning my purchase. I've had many scanners over the years starting with a Realistic 4 channel crystal unit that I purchased at Radio Shack. I bought the 436 for the zipcode programming feature. After reading some of the comments regarding the challenges in this area picking up signals, did I waste my money? Any advice and direction would be very much appreciated.

p19997

Premium Subscriber
The 436 is a good radio. Depending on where you listen and what you listen to, it may be fine. On the other hand, if you use it to listen to simulcast P25 systems and happen to be in a "bad" area, the SDS100 would have been a better choice. Did you purchase it from a store that has a good return policy, just in case?

kcgaz

I am in Scottsdale, AZ, I have read that Phoenix has some simulcast issues. I purchased it through Amazon, so I think I can return it without a challenge. How difficult is the SDS100 to program?

hvytrucker

HvyTrucker
I have the 436HP and using it in Philadelphia, PA for the simulcast system and it works pretty well. As far as the zip feature goes... I don't use it, by the time you download your zip code and then pick and choose which freqs to lock out and whiich ones to use it is just as easy to use the database to make favorites list.

kcgaz

Azgunguy, can you tell me what kind of tracking issues with the p25 that you have? I read similar comments on other threads and just don't know what to expect. Thanks.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Scottsdale is a varied area. If you live around Granite Reef or the southern area, you should have no issues. If you're up north of Pinnacle Peak and towards Carefree, you may have issues.

The 436/536/SDS radios all program the same using Sentinel and the zip code search feature. If you run into issues, let us know. I just got my 536 programmed via Sentinel and it opened up the current frequencies listed in the database here. I can walk you through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.