New and Stuiped

Status
Not open for further replies.

heckles

Hello , I did something I just do not do. I bought a scanner without research. I never buy with out research it took me two years to buy a new truck. I just a little no alot angry with myself.
Looks like what I bought is useless. In the Travis , Bastrop Cty Texas seems to be all Apco =25 systems
Moto. Type 11 smartnet and smart zone .
So the Uniden bc72xlt I am finding is no better than burn pile material .
I hate when I have to admit how stuiped I can be. :D:

gd9704

Heckles,

Looks like Ebay will be your friend. You'll lose some in the process, but barely used scanners seem to sell pretty well there. THEN you can research and buy the one you need!

Life is a learning experience!!!!!

Greg

blinddog50

hoser, don't get me started....

heckles, 95% of us will help in anyway that we can.
The other 5% will chew you up and have you for lunch for not knowing every radio theory that there is.
Hence the thick skin comment.

Like I said....have fun and learn.

hoser147

hoser, don't get me started....

heckles, 95% of us will help in anyway that we can.
The other 5% will chew you up and have you for lunch for not knowing every radio theory that there is.
Hence the thick skin comment.

Like I said....have fun and learn.

LoL Yep Rule Number 1 have fun and learn

heckles

Yea I found a couple of fire and ham trans. It looks like all of the police and SO's have gone to P-25.
Yea this is not my first rodeo when it comes to forums. There are experts every where and some that just think they are.
I am ex LEO and my wife still works for the SD . So police bands are the main thing . Thanks for the welcome guys.

af5rn

Don't worry, Heckles. Had you actually bought a digital scanner, you'd still be here saying you'd made a horrible mistake. They're a beeyotch to program, and half the people that buy them come here saying that. Then they either return them to the store in disgust within a week, or sell them at a loss. Just sayin', be prepared for a major frustrating learning curve when you get the thing. It is NOT easy at all once you get to digital trunking. But the only way to figure it out is to just get the software and keep trying until you succeed. There is no secret, just hard work.

You might go to the Texas forum here if you need any help with programming once you get it. There are several Austin area people here. But remember, it just takes a lot of trial and error practice.

Good luck!

commstar

Premium Subscriber
On the bright side-there is a For Sale area here on RR.

lmiller778

New & Stupid

Hey I made this mistake & I knew better. I checked evrerything out. But because I was so tired I missed that one little "dirty" word: digital. Never do this stuff unless you are alert :)

I was able to return mine (to Bearcat Warehouse). Have you checked the return policy where you purchased> If you were going to exchange it for digital, maybe they will let you.

(Just got mine today - and the refund on the first one.)

This site is a wealth of info & the many forums are great!

Best of Luck!
Lisa

The cool thing about ebay is that there are buyers who MUST simply "collect" old scanners. I have sold several old units that are so limited in capability, I can't believe they sold for what they did. I always see the old crystal sets selling too. I suspect some guys have a display shelving unit full of old unused scanners, like trinkets.

Anything newer or with features will be snapped up in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.