New and would like some advice please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnotherName

Premium Subscriber
I recently started getting into this a hobby. Just to listen to local Fire,EMS and Police. I live in Franklin County PA, I was able to pick up a BC72XLT at a yard sale the other day for 25 dollars. I programmed all the frequencies that I found here https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2268 But the only thing I get is Fire and EMS. I assume I need a Digital scanner to hear my local Police can someone please confirm and let me know if this is correct and if so will the BCD436HP be a good scanner to get.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Welcome to the scanner radio hobby!

Do you have just a county PD where you are served, or does your town have their own PD?

Looking at the Franklin Trunking System, I see that there is county PD, but most of it is encrypted.
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6803

Since it is a phase 1 system, yes - a BCD436HP scanner would work. So would a BCD325P2 if you were comfortable programming it yourself. (use software like BuTel or Freescan to save yourself a headache and some time).

Also
At the very bottom of the link you posted for Franklin County, PA, there are trunk systems. Some of them are P25, some are TRBO. But what you will also notices is that there is the PA-STARNet system, which is a Phase 2 system, and there is a OpenSky system. While you will find scanners that support P25 Phase 2, there aren't any scanners on the market that will work on an OpenSky system.

A local PA scanner user would be able to answer your specific "will I hear PD" question - but for everything else on the trunk system, a BCD436HP should be a nice start.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I recently started getting into this a hobby. Just to listen to local Fire,EMS and Police. I live in Franklin County PA, I was able to pick up a BC72XLT at a yard sale the other day for 25 dollars. I programmed all the frequencies that I found here https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2268 But the only thing I get is Fire and EMS. I assume I need a Digital scanner to hear my local Police can someone please confirm and let me know if this is correct and if so will the BCD436HP be a good scanner to get.
The BCD436HP is a good scanner. I have two of them.

However, for your county's system, I see that it is simulcast. Here's the map of sites:
1557252420589.png

Simulcast sites can be challenging to monitor, because sometimes, they cause distortion. See this Wiki article for more information:
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Simulcast_digital_distortion

That distortion, however, varies greatly upon your location relative to the sites. You may encounter zero problems, or serious ones. Sometimes, simply relocating your scanner even as little as a few feet can make a tremendous difference. At other times, you might need to use a directional antenna to receive the system.

As w2lie noted, someone in your local Pennsylvania area may be able to provide more information as to whether the system can be monitored successfully with a 436HP, or do you need to seriously consider either the SDS100, or one of the Unication pagers. If you'd like to have your thread moved to the state forum, do not create a new thread. Instead, click on the Report in the lower left corner of one of your posts, and request that a moderator move your thread to the state forum. Someone in the area would be more likely to see it there. Be sure and specify what area of the county you are in, or the name of the nearest town or community.

AnotherName

Premium Subscriber
I appreciate the feedback and the advice. I will request for this to be moved for more information regarding this. Thank you.

dmg1969

I live in Perry County and work in Dauphin County. I don't monitor Franklin, but it is a Phase 1 P25 system. Any scanner capable of receiving Phase 1 P25 systems will work. It looks like all fire and EMS is in the clear, but most PD traffic is encrypted. It appears that the county PD dispatch is not encrypted nor is Chambersburg PD dispatch or Adult Probation. All other PD traffic is encrypted. Hopefully someone who lives in Franklin County or close can confirm all of that.

As far as scanner choice, most new radio systems coming online now are P25 Phase 2. If you want to future-proof yourself and be able to keep up with newer P25 Phase 2 systems, you will want to pick up a scanner capable of receiving Phase 2. For instance, right next door, Cumberland County is in the initial stages of upgrading from the unmonitorable Open Sky system to a new 800 MHz Phase 2 P25 system. This also includes the new PA-STARNeT system that is being deployed. Be aware though that all PSP traffic is encrypted. You may hear other things like the PA Game Commission and PennDOT and perhaps more as more users are added to the system.

Onelick

100 yards west of the east branch of the Antietam
I live in Franklin county. Franklin county Sheriffs, Mercersburg PD, Greencastle PD, Waynesboro PD and Washington Twp PD are all on the county pd talkgroup. Chambersburg PD has their own talkgroup, but I don't listen to them. They yap too much. You will need a digital scanner to receive all the PD talkgroups. The fire and ems are simulcast on the digital talkgroups and the 46.16 lowband frequency until the lowband equipment dies.
Not sure if this helps,
Onelick

Status
Not open for further replies.