New Android App Worldwide Repeater Locator

Status
Not open for further replies.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Just purchased this app... The price is pretty steep for an app that doesn't have a trial version...

I'll include the link since you didnt...

market.android.com/details?id=com.w2cyk.android.rfinder

Is there a way to report a repeater that doesn't exist anymore?

It would be great if there was a function in the app to flag the repeater as confirmed working with the information provided or flag it as either inoperable or if it doesn't exist.

Last edited:

W2CYK

Premium Subscriber
Jason...
Ha! Yea, the price is actually low for what it does....its 1/4 the price of the ARRL repeater directory and is more accurate and dynamic...you will see IRLP and Echolink status shortly (IRLP first) and callsign lookup....We figured it didn't need a demo since it just works ;)

We are creating a system that from the web you can submit a database change....we are taking on moderators to help with checking/verifying adds/deletes/changes

Thanks for your support and letting me put this announcement up!

Bob W2CYK

AK4GA

Just purchased this app... The price is pretty steep for an app that doesn't have a trial version...

I'll include the link since you didnt...

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.w2cyk.android.rfinder&feature=search_result

Is there a way to report a repeater that doesn't exist anymore?

It would be great if there was a function in the app to flag the repeater as confirmed working with the information provided or flag it as either inoperable or if it doesn't exist.

The answers you seek are at the link he provided.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin

Daniel_Boone

Banned due to duplicate accounts
Banned
I don't know if this is the most appropriate place to put this - but those telephones with the VOX do not work well for VOIP applications.

The best one I heard so far was a guy that was smart enough to press the mute button when he was not talking.

Telephones in my opinion has no place in 2 meters type communications, that is what a radio is for.

There is no way to adjust the volume of the mic in a telephone - hence it usually overloads the audio and causes it to clip or sound like Mr Roboto....

The other half of the problem is that people are so used to talking on their telephones that when they use their phone to communicate in Ham bands - they end up acting stupid and ramble on about nothing for hours at a time and they forget that they are on the radio and they do not say their call sign the required 10 minute intervals.

Some people even time out the repeater with all their dribble.

I just wonder what it is going to take to get it through some peoples heads that this is HAM RADIO and not HAM telephone....

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
I don't know if this is the most appropriate place to put this - but those telephones with the VOX do not work well for VOIP applications.

The best one I heard so far was a guy that was smart enough to press the mute button when he was not talking.

Telephones in my opinion has no place in 2 meters type communications, that is what a radio is for.

There is no way to adjust the volume of the mic in a telephone - hence it usually overloads the audio and causes it to clip or sound like Mr Roboto....

The other half of the problem is that people are so used to talking on their telephones that when they use their phone to communicate in Ham bands - they end up acting stupid and ramble on about nothing for hours at a time and they forget that they are on the radio and they do not say their call sign the required 10 minute intervals.

Some people even time out the repeater with all their dribble.

I just wonder what it is going to take to get it through some peoples heads that this is HAM RADIO and not HAM telephone....

Besides the fact that that is just one person's opinion and that you apparently haven't taken the time to learn how these applications work, this app does not allow you to talk to the repeaters listed in the app's directory via your telephone. It is a directory only. You can't use your paperback ARRL Repeater Book to talk on repeaters, can you?

Besides, cellular telephones *are* radios.

johnkpa

Repeater Finder....follow this link for more info!
Bob W2CYK

New Android App RFinder...your worldwide repeater directory
Hello. A friend of mind found this App. for his Verizon Droid 2. I am attempting to purchase it for my Verizon Droid X and am being told that it is not compatible with the Droid X phone. Can anyone assist with this and were you aware of this? Thanks for any information you my be able to provide.

John

johnkpa

Problems with Droid X

I have attempted to download this app. and have received a message that it is not compatible with my Verizon Droid X however my friend who has a Verizon Droid 2 was able to download it with no problems. Do you have any thoughts on why it won't work with the Droid X? I'd really love to have this as I travel a lot. Thank you.

W2CYK

Premium Subscriber
Droid X

I have attempted to download this app. and have received a message that it is not compatible with my Verizon Droid X however my friend who has a Verizon Droid 2 was able to download it with no problems. Do you have any thoughts on why it won't work with the Droid X? I'd really love to have this as I travel a lot. Thank you.

Hi John...thanks for writing...Glad you like our app!

We have many users on the Droid X, in fact 13.6% of our users are on that device....the largest percentage of all devices...so there is no issue with the device itself.

The problem you are having is local...can I suggest you call me so I can help you? 516.807.0697

Bob W2CYK

fineshot1

Bob, i did not download this app yet but probably will.

Just one question.

If you download this app and then later get a new cell phone do you have
to re-purchase this app to get it on the new cell phone?

I ask because this has happened to me in the past & wondering if
this has been addressed or not. I had a cell phone go bad on me
and had to get a replacement and had to pay twice for a few apps.

johnkpa

Hi John...thanks for writing...Glad you like our app!

We have many users on the Droid X, in fact 13.6% of our users are on that device....the largest percentage of all devices...so there is no issue with the device itself.

The problem you are having is local...can I suggest you call me so I can help you? 516.807.0697

Bob W2CYK

Hello Bob. Thanks for the speedy and helpful response. I sensed this should not be a phone specific issue but was just going by what Android Marketplace has been reporting to me.

I just tried to call you at the number provided above (Sunday, July 31 @ 19:30 EDT) and reached a computer system which told me that my phone number was not linked to an email account. I'm not quite certain how to reach you. When you have time would you kindly get back to me? We'll get this all figured out. Thanks.

John
KB3LT

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Bob, i did not download this app yet but probably will.

Just one question.

If you download this app and then later get a new cell phone do you have
to re-purchase this app to get it on the new cell phone?

I ask because this has happened to me in the past & wondering if
this has been addressed or not. I had a cell phone go bad on me
and had to get a replacement and had to pay twice for a few apps.

No. It is tied to your Marketplace account.

KK4DAN

Just purchased it for use on my T-mobile G2. I just looked around it and I like what I see.

I have a couple questions.
- I do see two repeaters close to me which both have EchoLink and that info is not listed on your app, so I assume I can submit by doing update info?
- Also, I see a couple duplicate repeaters with either different call signs or different locations? I guess you just got different info and they show up twice in your DB? Again, I guess we can help you by telling you which one is the correct one?

Status
Not open for further replies.