New Antenna and Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys, I was looking for a simple multi-band antenna solution. I think I found it. Check these out:

I took a chance and ordered one. It came with all kinds of extra connectors, mounting hardware.... It’s super versatile. I just zip-tied it to a pole I had on my roof already for a weather station. And ran the cable under the vinyl trim down the side of the house into a basement window. And it works like a dream! What a difference in reception. I can now pick up public safety for basically the whole state of New Hampshire (some exceptions of course). The range was a huge improvement, but the biggest bonus for me was how much the signal is “cleaned up” for the stuff I was already getting with the stock antenna on my handheld TRX-1. Now I plug in the new antenna and the signals are crystal clear. Very much improved.

So now I leave my TRX-1 in the basement plugged into power with a small Bluetooth transmitter plugged into the headphone jack. The scanner audio is sent to a wireless Bluetooth speaker I can have anywhere in the house. It works really well. Only problem is I can’t see the alpha tags on the scanner, but typically I know what I’m hearing at this point anyway.

MDScanFan

I am glad it is working for you. I have no insight into that antenna but I would not be surprised if it is a rubber duck antenna inside a pvc pipe. Getting something up high and outside provides the biggest value. Out of curiosity, did you happen to try the scanner with its rubber duck while you were on the roof?

I noticed on that link one of the reviewers showed a photo of the antenna incorrectly installed sideways and said reception is great. :)

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
I did try my scanner while I was up there installing. It worked well with the rubber duck, but still not as good as with this antenna. The signals are still cleaner as well.

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
Pretty much everything I’m listening to is in VHF. No 800mhz stuff. Haven’t tried anything else.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Here's a past post from 2013 that I recalled. May not be the exact antenna, but worth reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.