New Antenna Coming Soon based on Old Favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalanalog

I have been in contact with a local who has been working on an antenna that has been a favorite of many (including myself)but has been out of production for some time now. This person has re-created the antenna that is built like a tank, they used Heavy wall aluminum tubing not like the paper thin original tubing, also using aluminum plates to join sections instead of crimped sections that can fail, assembled with all stainless hard ware and internal/external star washers were used at critical mounting sections to insure a absolute connection. The photos are of the prototype and 1st antenna, he points out some mistakes that were let go on this protype, (a few wholes drilled in the wrong place, and Whoops mistakes, marker and pen lines here and there as well) They send these hand full of photos with permission for me to share. but ask that they stay on RR and not be shared on any other site AT THIS TIME. They are telling me a web site will be setup for selling these antennas in the very near future, they will be all hand made so limited supply is to be expected. I have 2 similar antennas and i will say, while close in design there is no comparison on Build. I am hoping to get this protype soon for testing.

copyrightimage1.jpgcopyrightimage2.jpgcopyrightimage2A.jpg

copyrightimage3.jpgcopyrightimage4.jpg

Attachments

• copyrightimage6.jpg
    copyrightimage6.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 212

Blackink

So even if you moved the antenna all the way to the top of the pole it's connected to now, the top antenna elements will be above/away from the pole/metal but the bottom elements will still be near/next to the pole.

What happens to the reception/effectiveness of that antenna, if it was turned 90 degrees and moved to the top of the pole it's connected to?
Now the elements are to the right and left of the pole and away from the metal.

Any chance that'll work?

digitalanalog

I checked the length of the main mounting tube (the 1" square tube) and it's the exact same length as the one this antenna is designed to copy, so while I do agree the further away from the mast the better it is the same as the original as far as length.

qc

Premium Subscriber
I have been in contact with a local who has been working on an antenna that has been a favorite of many (including myself)but has been out of production for some time now. This person has re-created the antenna that is built like a tank, they used Heavy wall aluminum tubing not like the paper thin original tubing, also using aluminum plates to join sections instead of crimped sections that can fail, assembled with all stainless hard ware and internal/external star washers were used at critical mounting sections to insure a absolute connection. The photos are of the prototype and 1st antenna, he points out some mistakes that were let go on this protype, (a few wholes drilled in the wrong place, and Whoops mistakes, marker and pen lines here and there as well) They send these hand full of photos with permission for me to share. but ask that they stay on RR and not be shared on any other site AT THIS TIME. They are telling me a web site will be setup for selling these antennas in the very near future, they will be all hand made so limited supply is to be expected. I have 2 similar antennas and i will say, while close in design there is no comparison on Build. I am hoping to get this protype soon for testing.

View attachment 80316View attachment 80317View attachment 80318

View attachment 80319View attachment 80320
Are they going to have longer Boom?
I checked the length of the main mounting tube (the 1" square tube) and it's the exact same length as the one this antenna is designed to copy, so while I do agree the further away from the mast the better it is the same as the original as far as length.

The boom length is 20 inches?

Simple... the closer to the mast the antenna is the larger the "shadow" will be from the mast side of the antenna - especially a vertically polarized signal. Think this way.. how long is an 800Mhz wave and how wide is a 1 1/4" mast? Put your finger in front of your eye... Can't see around it can you? But the further away you move it the less the "shadow"... Same... Not to mention the de-tuning effects it may present on some frequencies by being so close.

This is a major part of the reason why cell phone antennas are in triplets on towers... To avoid the "shadow" and de-tuning/reflection of signal due to the tower or mono-pole they are mounted on... One more point... have you ever notice how far away from the side of towers they mount stacked 4 and 8 bay folded dipoles, among other antennas? Check this out... the Penobscot building in Detoilet oh wait.. Detroit, MI...

Now, if you had a reputable VNA (using the coax within the calibration of the VNA - so not to include the coax in the test of the antenna) and tested it with a non-metallic mast over it's frequency range(s) and then tested it again with a metallic mast (both at the same height, direction and location) you will see differences which will, in all probability, effect reception.

Mounting it at a 90 degrees will put it out of phase with the signal you are trying to receive which happens to be vertical and that by itself will reduce the received signal, especially at a fair distance from the transmitting antenna..

digitalanalog

For someone not familiar with the original, what is the frequency range?

Strengths/Weaknesses?

The bands I have listed below are as advertised by the manufacture as bands it will cover, But it covers alot more then listed here, it does very good in the Civil air band (not listed here) and does a very good job in the Mil Air bands as well (again not listed as being covered)

Manufacture List these Bands (see attached file)
30 to 1300 MHz covering the major scanner bands: 30-50, 148-174, 440-470, 470-512, 800-912 MHz

Attachments

• 2732.pdf
    277.7 KB · Views: 236

digitalanalog

In reference to concerns about the main mast only being 20" (original length ) the builder say's they will not be adding length to the Main Mast, it's the original length, also stated, the additional weight added by using heavy wall tubing and aluminum plates plus all the added stainless hardware, has doubled or even tripled the weight of the antenna, so adding additional length will make the antenna lean when mounting it to a Mast pole, and I did not notice or even give it any thought but take a look at these two Mast Mounting clamp photo's they sent me, Notice there are no wholes in the main mast tube for mounting, instead it is using a heavy duty clamp which clamps the main mast tight to the mast clamp, again they point out, with the additional weight they were afraid if there were holes drilled in the main mast for mounting (like the original had), You would have to tighten the clamp so tight to make the antenna mount straight up and down, they were afraid the main mast would bend or even crush if it was over tightened to compensate for all the weight hanging at the mast. I Must Admit, That's really thinking things out and i do agree, the heavy clamp clamping Around the mast instead of throught it makes more since and for a more secure clamping of the antenna. These two photos were sent to me showing the front and back side of the heavy duty mounting clamp.
mastclampview1.jpgmastclampview2.jpg

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Who, or what company, actually owns the patent the builder licensed it from? It is Tandy or did Tandy license it from whomever when they sold it under the Antennacraft name? It is an interesting antenna. I have two of the ST2 model.

dvendt

I have one similar to this on my roof. It's been up there about 8 years now. It isn't built as well as this but seems to work fine from 25-800 MHz. And I'm running crappy coax. I want to replace it with lmr200.

Status
Not open for further replies.