New Antenna Coming Soon based on Old Favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firekite

Gain is how you measure the performance of the antenna.
Is it? It sure seems to be more a question of trading a broader frequency range and omnidirectionality for narrower ranges and directionality. If someone told me they had an omniband, omnidirectional antenna with high gain, my BS filter would be on red alert.

digitalanalog

After all the threads, comments, and inspections being called out on this antenna by everyone here on just about every aspect of this antenna, I am really amazed that not one person found a major issue with this antenna. It wasn't until very late in the planning and even after the antenna was sent out for testing that I seen the problem, it has since been taken care of but lets see if anyone can spot the problem not that I pointed it out. What's wrong with this picture. (and it's not the transformer in this picture i just hung it there for the photo to show where it goes)

prototype.jpg

jjlongworth

:unsure:Besides the stainless hardware which is incompatible with aluminum or is it the missing counterpoise (or filter depending on it's function)

Reactions: RRR

digitalanalog

:unsure:Besides the stainless hardware which is incompatible with aluminum or is it the missing counterpoise (or filter depending on it's function)

The Omnix X antenna that has been subject in this thread several times uses stainless steel hardware, serious antenna manufacture Innovantennas
uses stainless steel hardware, and many many other manufactures of antennas use stainless steel hardware. It is what is used, There is nothing better, aluminum hardware is NOT used for a reason. Set screws in ALL the discone antennas for mounting are Stainless Steel. So this point you have made is nill, The other point you made "missing counterpoise (or filter depending on it's function) . is in deed what is missing.

How heavy is it?

Approx, 9 lbs.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
........ other manufactures of antennas use stainless steel hardware. It is what is used, There is nothing better, aluminum hardware is NOT used for a reason. Set screws in ALL the discone antennas for mounting are Stainless Steel. So this point you have made is nill........

On the original ST-2, what hardware was used?

And why is a Discone antenna, which is a completely different antenna, used as a reference? An accurate reference would obviously be the original ST-2, a close second would be an Omni X, etc.

Still looking forward to testing results. If you can refine it to where it is closely comparable to the ST-2, I would consider purchasing one, even though the proposed price is pretty steep. But, I can appreciate quality, and from what I have seen up to now, quality of materials and workmanship is really good.

I'm sure this is a very labor intensive project.

N9JIG

Sheriff
The only magnetic (steel) parts of the original ST-2 are the bracket and u-bolt/nuts. The aluminum elements are mostly riveted with aluminum and the screws for the 300 ohm connection appear to be non-magnetic zinc.

As for the reference antenna, most measurements of gain are based on a quarterwave groundplane for the frequency involved, this is considered a zero point reference. Since this is impractical on a wide bandwidth scanner antenna, the Discone is the next best thing. This gives a fairly good representation of potential improvement over a "zero point" reference. Antenna A provides this measurement, Antenna B presents a different number, these numbers can be compared with each other, the antenna with the higher score over the Discone is better. Also remember that an antenna might perform better or worse on different bands, and may even perform worse than a Discone or Ground Plane reference.

It is also a good idea to test the antenna against it's original forefather ST-2, and if possible, the ST-2 vs. the Discone. Thes comparisions will tell how well this performs over the other. It is all relative, this performs better than that, that performs better than the other. Of course the comparisons mean nothing if all things aren't otherwise equal (position, elevation, coax etc.)

RRR

Premium Subscriber
A discone is about the most basic antenna you can get. The only benefit they have is they are basically "DC to daylight" (Well, not that open, but you get the gist) Zero gain, but wide RX coverage.

If this antenna is planned to be the replacement to the ST-2 (Which it obviously is) then I would surely think it should be at minimum "as good" as the original. (ST-2 is (was) about as good of a scanner antenna you can get)

If it is better, then hell, I may buy two. This is why I'm glad he is continuing his testing, found an error, and is in the process of correcting it, then hopefully testing again, refining it with improvements, because if he can make this bird really sing, users will report their results on here, youtube, etc., and he should be able to sell at least a hundred off this forum alone.

I would think, aside from a freq. dedicated radio antenna, he very well could have the best current production scanner antenna on the market, if he takes the time to continue to refine it and tune it. We shall see.

GaRebel

Premium Subscriber
A discone is about the most basic antenna you can get. The only benefit they have is they are basically "DC to daylight" (Well, not that open, but you get the gist) Zero gain, but wide RX coverage.

If this antenna is planned to be the replacement to the ST-2 (Which it obviously is) then I would surely think it should be at minimum "as good" as the original. (ST-2 is (was) about as good of a scanner antenna you can get)

If it is better, then hell, I may buy two. This is why I'm glad he is continuing his testing, found an error, and is in the process of correcting it, then hopefully testing again, refining it with improvements, because if he can make this bird really sing, users will report their results on here, youtube, etc., and he should be able to sell at least a hundred off this forum alone.

I would think, aside from a freq. dedicated radio antenna, he very well could have the best current production scanner antenna on the market, if he takes the time to continue to refine it and tune it. We shall see.
And it's made in the USA!!!!

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Not sure how you come up with that but from my old days in electronics class a valid test run on each antenna would show the results.
Now I am not sure if I am still interested. From my days of putting up commercial antennas and using antennas to achieve desired coverage patterns I was looking forward to having a better built ST2 that would work the same but be built like a tank.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.