New Antenna Coming Soon based on Old Favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
I have the ST-2 on my tower now and been searching for another. Keep us informed when he starts selling and what website. I love these antennas!

Firekite

It’s either this or a decent discone. Hopefully this will be sufficiently affordable that it will be a legitimate option.

digitalanalog

Everyone is waiting to find out what one of these will cost. as i am also waiting to hear. What does everyone have in mind for what they Think something like this would cost? [click on "Reply" at the bottom of this thread to reply so we keep all the amounts together] you should also add your thoughts as to why you think what it should cost. This should be interesting. :)

I will start it off, I would think at least $150.00 taking into account these will all be hand made and built as well as they are.

• Haha
Reactions: RRR

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
In case you do not want to read the rest of this: My testing results are a $50 Scantenna (the antenna design of this thread) with the supplied RG-6 coax, works as well as some discones that used a much more costly coaxial cable. Your results may be different, especially if you have a Kreco discone, or a narrow band antenna with gain of course.

This thread made me curious, so I did some testing over the last two days. I found that my ST-2 Scantenna to be the same or +/- 1~3 dBm, on various frequencies from VHF to UHF, when compared with two discone antennas. When simply listening to an SDR or scanners, I could not "hear" the difference between the following antennas and coaxial runs. I used SDRUno to analyze and compare and get the numbers. I used fixed TX power output for testing from ATIS, to NOAA and near and far PD and FD, etc. This includes 200 & 300 MHz ATIS for Mil Air.

Antennas were at 30' AGL with an SDRPlay via SDRUno to note the dBm:
1. Radio Shack and then Tram discone using 50' of LDF4-50A Heliax, +2' RG214 patch cable. (LDF4-50A is almost half the loss of LMR-400)
2. Scantenna and 50' RG-6 supplied with antenna.

What I can confirm is that the Scantenna is definitely directional. Up to 6 dBm difference with a 90 degree turn. I could hear the difference on weak signal stations. The discones displayed no such difference when turned, nor should they. Another difference is RG-6 has more attenuation loss vs. the LDF4-50A. Still, I'm not sure how well the discone can RX 900 MHz on the horizon over the Scantenna. The difference may be a wash.

Your results...and needs will vary.

P.S. The Radio Shack and Tram discones were either the same or +/- 1 dBm between each other, except on 50 MHz, due to the top whip on the Radio Shack.

digitalanalog

Another piece of the puzzle was just passed on to me.

The ST2 antenna has a shipping weight of just over 1 1/2 lbs. The Searcher I has a shipping weight of 6 lbs.

I was informed that the antennas will be partially dismantled ( to fit in the box/tube)and placed in a USPS triangular shipping box/tube 52" long x 6 " wide x 5" tall, and shipping from 44431. you can do a shipping cost calulation with those figures, shipping to the west coast will be almost $30.00. all others of course will vary depending on your location. Because of the oversized length of the box/tube shipping is in the higher end.

Also, Taxes will need to be paid by anyone in the state of Ohio. all others will not be charged tax.

PS: i expect to be getting the actual selling amount soon.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Good grief, can't (won't) extend length from the mast, because it may lean. Then counter-lean the antenna on the mount. The way it is mounted in the photo, you could slide the upper in, and / or lower out to compensate. It's done every day.

digitalanalog

Good grief, can't (won't) extend length from the mast, because it may lean. Then counter-lean the antenna on the mount. The way it is mounted in the photo, you could slide the upper in, and / or lower out to compensate. It's done every day.

This was Never an issue with the original antenna that this antenna is modeled after, why Now is it all the suddon a big problem, the end user/buyer can make any change in mounting that he/she want's as with any antenna.

Slide the Upper in and the lower Out?

Antenna mfg. may show you or point out how to mount your antenna, but does not instruct you beyond that point.

Should the mfg. come to everyones house and assist them with mounting the antenna as well?

What's the big deal, buy it and mount it how ever you want. Good Grief..............

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Should be interesting if/when the patent holder shows up....

RRR

Premium Subscriber

Ok, which manufacturer patented Mototrbo? How is Hytera doing right now? We could go on and on with that one....

This isn't a "similar" antenna, as those (all different) Discones are, this what you (or "a friend") offer for profit, based on an exact replica of the Original, patented ScanTenna. You even stated such!

But I digress.

Also, in previous remarks, you (and others) compare this "new" antenna (and the original) to a Discone? Considering a discone has Zero DB gain, I would hope it outperforms.

Regardless, I won't be paying $150 for a replica of the original, which wasn't anywhere near that price point when it was offered new. Somewhere in the $50 range, I may consider one to experiment with.

Good luck!

Firekite

Also, in previous remarks, you (and others) compare this "new" antenna (and the original) to a Discone? Considering a discone has Zero DB gain, I would hope it outperforms.
Please elaborate. The ST2 spec sheet lists no gain on the ST2, either.

digitalanalog

As I knew it would happen. some people just have to make every effort to dismantle a project,insert everything they can to dispute information and pretty much deny a completed and successful adventure. but, that's ok, I have provided tid bits of information that i thought would let people know some of the facts before the antenna was available. The antenna is very very close to it's availability date. I will provide the web site information when that is available, everyone can then go there and get the rest of the information and purchase the antenna If They Want One.
and the disputes can continue as I am sure they will, but I will no longer play that game. As with ANY antenna, Not everyone will like it and not everyone will buy it. I get it. I will add New Information when it is available for anyone interested.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Regardless, I won't be paying $150 for a replica of the original, which wasn't anywhere near that price point when it was offered new. Somewhere in the $50 range, I may consider one to experiment with.

The original would be near that $150 price, if it were still made. Prices go up. The new replica appears to be using more costly materials than original, as an added factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.