New Antenna Coming Soon based on Old Favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I am really looking forward to this! I have often thought of building my own based on this design. Maybe that can be my summer project...

While the heavier aluminum elements will be sturdier, I think that the builder might be better off with a lighter aluminum material for a couple reasons, including cost and weight. I am fairly certain that the outside diameter of the element is the important consideration for the elements' bandwidth, a thicker material of the same diameterwill not increase the effectiveness of the antenna. It would of course make it more durable.

As far as the boom length: a longer boom will reduce the reflectivity introduced by the mast at the expense of stability. If a longer boom was used a second stabilizing boom standoff would help make for a sturdier installation. This would have to be non-conductive however, thus might be less durable. That said, the original ST-2 seemed to work pretty well as it was with the 20 inch boom. I would imagine that mounted at the very top of a mast would allow the top half of the antenna to be less directional. I suspect if one used a non-conductive mast (plastic, fiberglass, wood...) the directional characteristics of the antenna can be minimized.

As far as cost, these typically sold for $60 at the end of their availability about 6 years ago. About 20 years ago they were typically about $40. $100 for the original version would probably be the current price if they were still made today. For a newly constructed, low-volume item like this with higher quality materials I don't think $150 is out of line.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
It is my understanding that AntennaCraft was a wholly owned subsidiary of RadioShack at the end, I do not know if RadioShack started the company or bought it after the fact. They made several scanner antennas:

Not to get the thread off topic, but when I was a manager for the shack and ordered replacement parts for antennas, the part packages came with Channel Master branding on them. I always figured AntennaCraft was just another brand name RS came up with for another companies product.

Reactions: RRR

N9JIG

Sheriff
Not to get the thread off topic, but when I was a manager for the shack and ordered replacement parts for antennas, the part packages came with Channel Master branding on them. I always figured AntennaCraft was just another brand name RS came up with for another companies product.
I imagine there was some Private Label business going on in several directions between the companies. RadioShack had a huge history of buying and selling products private labeled, both as the supplier and purchaser.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
As I knew it would happen. some people just have to make every effort to dismantle a project,insert everything they can to dispute information and pretty much deny a completed and successful adventure. but, that's ok,
---------
and the disputes can continue as I am sure they will, but I will no longer play that game. As with ANY antenna, Not everyone will like it and not everyone will buy it. I get it.

Deep breaths.... I was merely drawing attention to an obvious potential claim someone could have. Definitely not trying to get you to cease production. Heck, if it works, then I may get one. If you're not worried about it, I'm surely not, but heck, get it out of the way, don't duck it.

And yes, the ST-2 has gain. Even a quick look in this thread shows how a lobe is directed. Hell, that may be a good thing, having gain in one direction, as opposed to omni. And a $25 antenna in 2010 doesn't equate to $150 inflation today. I do forsee that when the price point nears $100, that's going to deter a lot of smaller sales, which may be the bulk. But if they are handmade each, and not mass assembled, then that price point may be what is proper. Less sales, but less work. Trade-offs everywhere, that's the good ole free market for ya. You will find what works best for you and your efforts. Sometimes, less is more, and vice versa.

Regardless, in any business venture, you will have questions and concerns brought up. Your success will partially be measured on how you handle it when it happens. Good luck, this is (obviously) interesting.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I recall I paid very close to $25 in the area right around 2010 for an ST-2 at Radio Shack. I remember this, because I was pricing antennas at the time.

Got two more when RS was closing, you don't want to know what I paid for those! Wish they had 50 of them, I'd 'a bought every one

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I have $39.99 for mine a year before Radio Shack had the sell off the SCANTENNA I bought at a Hardware Store $39.99 in town after trying the HYGAIN Brand Monitor Scanner Antenna $19.99 from the local Radio Shack in the mid 70's

Reactions: RRR

trp2525

Well thinking about it the SCANTENNA was made by Channel Master in the 70's.
I gave $39.95 as the Channel Master SCANTENNA in 1979 to 1981

The Channel Master scanner antenna was called the "MONITENNA" which was a registered trademark of Channel Master. The MONITENNA model 5094 was sold in the late 1970s and only covered 4 scanner bands: VHF-Low, VHF-High, UHF and UHF-T. In the late 1980s Channel Master upgraded the original 5094 design to the MONITENNA model 5094A which covered the original 4 scanner bands and added 800-912 MHz coverage.

Attached below is a JPEG of the MONITENNA model 5094A catalog listing from page 21 of the 1990 Channel Master catalog.

trp2525

RR server erroneously made a double post of my post #71 above which I deleted here.

Last edited:

Firekite

And yes, the ST-2 has gain. Even a quick look in this thread shows how a lobe is directed.
I’d love to understand more about this, but I don’t see it in this thread (other than some personal attestations to some degree of directional reception). Can you elaborate?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
My ST-2 mounted at 30 feet with the top half above the mast hears the same VHF UHF and 800 about 40 air miles in all directions.
Soon to add 50 foot Rohn 25 tower with 14 foot mast out of the top with HAM 3 Rotor and 3 Beams 150 460 and 800 all on LMR-400 and the ST-2 on RG6 all less than 100 foot feed lines so this summer I may can check the directivity of the ST-2 better.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I am really looking forward to this! I have often thought of building my own based on this design. Maybe that can be my summer project...

While the heavier aluminum elements will be sturdier, I think that the builder might be better off with a lighter aluminum material for a couple reasons, including cost and weight. I am fairly certain that the outside diameter of the element is the important consideration for the elements' bandwidth, a thicker material of the same diameterwill not increase the effectiveness of the antenna. It would of course make it more durable.

As far as the boom length: a longer boom will reduce the reflectivity introduced by the mast at the expense of stability. If a longer boom was used a second stabilizing boom standoff would help make for a sturdier installation. This would have to be non-conductive however, thus might be less durable. That said, the original ST-2 seemed to work pretty well as it was with the 20 inch boom. I would imagine that mounted at the very top of a mast would allow the top half of the antenna to be less directional. I suspect if one used a non-conductive mast (plastic, fiberglass, wood...) the directional characteristics of the antenna can be minimized.

As far as cost, these typically sold for $60 at the end of their availability about 6 years ago. About 20 years ago they were typically about $40. $100 for the original version would probably be the current price if they were still made today. For a newly constructed, low-volume item like this with higher quality materials I don't think $150 is out of line.

One thing that the purists need to keep in mind is that antennas designed for wide-band coverage with scanners are all a series of compromises (just like the radios). Yes, the short boom can cause some directionality when mounted to a metal mast, on some bands; the effect is going to vary depending on the band and exactly where the antenna is mounted. On some bands the effect isn't going to be very noticeable, while on others it would be more pronounced.

I have two of the Radio Shack clones in my attic (purchased new at RS for $5 each on closeout) and they work flawlessly; at my old house they were mounted outdoors on a mast and worked flawlessly there, too. I've never had any issues from the relatively short boom length.

Only gripe I had with the original and clones is that they didn't stand up too well to wind; I had a third one of these which was pretty seriously bent by a good wind gust. If I ever get to a point where I can put something outside again I would give this new offering serious consideration thanks to the heavy-duty construction.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I have the old Grove Scantenna in a box in my barn somewhere. It was a great antenna, but was damaged and missing parts after Hurricane Charlie (2004?) and I salvaged what I could and boxed it up. It was missing elements and I planned to get the parts and fix it but ended up moving from Florida and bought the D300. I guess the Grove version is the same as the ST2? That Grove Scantenna was an awesome antenna. I lived in Pasco County when I had the Scantenna up on my mast, and I was hearing PD from way south 75mi down the coast. I will buy one of these if the newer reviews are favorable.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Remember on the original ones, you could slide a piece of that flag stick (that bicycles use, long white skinny pole) up inside the tubes, and it would strengthen it considerably

Status
Not open for further replies.