New antenna for apartment

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudegt

KQ4EVS
Premium Subscriber
So I am looking for a new antenna setup, I currently use a discone antenna which works great but I am moving to an apartment soon and I wont have the luxury of being able to takw that much space. I was wondering what would be best for a small form factor omni directional antenna to pickup VHF/UHF. Im thinking about monting it to my balcony because I will be about 6 stories up and want a slick no distinct look. Any one have any suggestions and sorry if these specs are super specific honestly would be great to hear about any small form factor omni direction antennas to get an idea

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
I’ve built almost every antenna I’ve used but bought the OmniX to give it a try! VHF/UHF receive is good and it would look cool on your balcony!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
This antenna:
or this one:

Both Larsen and EMWave are well respected companies that make professional antennas and don't screw around.

You could install an NMO mount on a cookie sheet and have an easy ground plane.
Or, you could purchase an NMO base adapter like one of these:
or
Those will supply the necessary ground plane for the antenna so it can work to it's full potential.

Both of those base adapter mounts have type N female connectors on the bottom. Buy a length of quality coaxial cable with a Male N connector on one end and a connector to match your scanner on the other. The exact type of coax will depend on how long the run will be. I'd suggest something like LMR-240, it's manageable and has low loss, even up at the 800MHz frequency range.

Unless it falls off the balcony, it'll probably outlast your radios and the building it's mounted on.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
At six stories up you might try mounting your discone inside your apartment (closet, bedroom, ETC) on a light stand.

dudegt

KQ4EVS
Premium Subscriber
I’ve built almost every antenna I’ve used but bought the OmniX to give it a try! VHF/UHF receive is good and it would look cool on your balcony!
Bought that antenna, mainly due to the fact that it had such a wide range of frequencies. Will keep this thread updated on how it goes and how it works.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Bought that antenna, mainly due to the fact that it had such a wide range of frequencies. Will keep this thread updated on how it goes and how it works.

How's the antenna working so far? I have been eyeing it for my next scanner antenna due to the good reviews on it.

dudegt

KQ4EVS
Premium Subscriber
How's the antenna working so far? I have been eyeing it for my next scanner antenna due to the good reviews on it.
Literally just got it today, and installed it waiting on one last connector to get it installed but I will let you know.

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
Mine just showed up today. I put it together, and will install tomorrow. I have all the connections. Curious the difference from my Sirrio discone.Yeah, I'm new, but learning.

Status
Not open for further replies.