New Antenna - Grounding Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

seversole

Hi guys! I bought a Whistler TRX-1 scanner, and wish to connect it to a new TRAM 1411 antenna that I'm planning on mounting on my concrete block chimney. I will be using an 8' piece of 1" galvanized EMT conduit as my mast, and bought the Channel Master 3079 Antenna Mount Kit to mount it. My chimney is on the other side of the house from the house electrical ground rod, which is 60' away from the chimney. I was planning on running bare #6 copper ground rod from the mast down the side of my house (through an F-pin Coaxial Grounding Block that the coax is plugged into), to a new 8' copper ground rod at the base of the wall (using a proper clamp to attach to the rod), then to another new 8' copper ground rod placed 8' (or 16'?) away, going in a direction away from the house. I was thinking of even using an additional 1 or 2 ground rods running in a straight path away from the house.

Is this acceptable? I've read on this site that we are supposed to use the service ground, but it will be very difficult because of the distance...with the distance ending up being much longer with going around the concrete slab back porch, etc.

I appreciate your thoughts. Thanks guys!

seversole

Just to add (in case it is relevant), I am running 75' of quad shield RG6 from the antenna (plugged into the grounding block), with the proper adapters to connect to it, running through the attic, down a wall, to a BNC adapter on a keystone wall plate, with a 6' BNC cable plugged into it, then to my scanner. Thanks again! :)

RFBOSS

The NEC requires, for safety, that the ground of an outside antenna be bonded to the AC mains service entrance ground.

It is likely that not everyone does this. But if there is an issue and the insurance company becomes involved, the insurance company may take a dim view of this.

There can be, though not always some technical issues that will cause some unwanted results.

Status
Not open for further replies.