New antenna install

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthCOVideo

Premium Subscriber
Ok ditched the PVC antenna I had up, thats going to be used as my portable when I go camping. Today I started putting up a more permanent pole, in the coming days I'll put up more pictures as I finish the build.

Would have put more pictures up but it failed to upload them.

Last edited:

NorthCOVideo

Premium Subscriber
Oh yea, I can put my whole weight into it (225-250), without it moving. Now if the cracks on the side of the chimney freeze and break more over the winter, I'll need to rethink it, and nothing sways as much as my other one did, being all PVC. As you can see the piece of 2x4 between to prevent it from exploding into bits.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Interesting Set up!

Makes me want to kick a field goal though!....LOL Seriously though, what kind of reception are you getting now that its up on the roof?

Manny

NorthCOVideo

Premium Subscriber
I had thought that myself, looked kinda like a field goal, the reception isn't bad its better than it was with just my duckies. I'm not sure on the reception at its current location, but like I said it wasn't bad when it was on my PVC setup.

I'd rather try and build something first before going out and paying alot of money for possibly a tripod, which is my next choice and its always a lot of fun.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Hams do it all the time!

I am always tinkering with stuff.
Not as much as some of my other ham buddies though. Quads, beams, dipoles ect....Its always good when you build something yourself. You learn as you go. Now, if it actualy works in the end, even better. Keep up the good work.

Manny

NorthCOVideo

Premium Subscriber
Not sure on the grounding yet.

As far as the block of wood, well the chimney hasn't been in use for about 15 years now. It was for 2 gas stoves that were in the house when we moved in, the hole in the basement where I brought the cable trough is where one was located. I need the block to prevent it from breaking apart, because before I put the block in it was starting to crack, you can see one of them down the side of one of the pictures, and after it allowed me to tighten it down a bit more.

Still more pictures to come, the pictures so far only show the antenna sitting inside the mast, still not finished.

NorthCOVideo

Premium Subscriber
Progess

Got up just a little bit ago and finished putting it up. As you might be able to tell from some of the pictures I have PVC T's for rum to expand when I get some more antennas built. Also just to show how its holding up, while I was putting it up the wind was blowing pretty hard and took some pics with the antenna and the wind blowing the trees around in the back.

Last edited:

NorthCOVideo

Premium Subscriber
More Pics...................................

Get up there again in a little bit and take some more pictures when it gets darker out.

Last edited:

NorthCOVideo

Premium Subscriber
Seems to be working pretty good, I'm hearing things I never have before, but it messes with some other things. Would like to figure out a way to make a discone, but may just end up buying one at some point.

NorthCOVideo

Premium Subscriber
Added another antenna to it today, nothing special just something I found and thought I would see if it work, so far so good. Just a little whip antenna.

Last edited:

sirsmiley

Ok ditched the PVC antenna I had up, thats going to be used as my portable when I go camping. Today I started putting up a more permanent pole, in the coming days I'll put up more pictures as I finish the build.

Would have put more pictures up but it failed to upload them.

i think your campmates are going to hang you for listenin to radio traffic when its supposed to be peace and quiet :p

N7SAC

You should think about painting it so it doesn't stick out so much. I painted my antennas and mast OD green and it doesn't quite stick out as much.

--Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.