New antenna location question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evnldr

OK I'm stuck I need to mount an antenna neer power lines. How far do I need to be from it I may have 5ft to the left but that's where the line is

I may have 5ft to the left but that's where the line is
If you need to mount an antenna NEAR power lines, there's a simple rule.

The farther - the better. There are two considerations. Safety then interference. In your case, you don't have a choice.

You don't mention what type of antenna or what frequencies you are trying to monitor (Or transmit) .

Last edited:

Evnldr

here is the image it failed to load

800 its a Wilson Yagi 301111

I do have a lightning suppressor and will connect to house ground till i get my rod installed

Attachments

• ResizerImage576X324.jpg
    ResizerImage576X324.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 66

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
Be very mindful of what you do with this. This can be some serious stuff in a number of ways.

Evnldr

Mast will ne on the ground maybe 6" in for support antenna will only be maybe 5foot above roof IS-B50LN-C2 is the resister I have and Im using LMR400 to the suppressor and lmr200 flex 5ft to the radio Id need more LMR200 flex like 10ft not sure what the loss would be or is there a lower loss flexable cable to run from the surg to the radio?

Attachments

• 01.PNG
    01.PNG
    531.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 022222.PNG
    022222.PNG
    363.5 KB · Views: 55

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
Mast will ne on the ground maybe 6" in for support antenna will only be maybe 5foot above roof IS-B50LN-C2 is the resister I have and Im using LMR400 to the suppressor and lmr200 flex 5ft to the radio Id need more LMR200 flex like 10ft not sure what the loss would be or is there a lower loss flexable cable to run from the surg to the radio?

For the frequencies that you are receiving I would try to stay with LMR-400 for the entire run, at least until you get a foot or so from your radio, then you can use something more flexible for a short jumper. They do make an ultraflex version of LMR-400 as well. If 400 is too large to get through your opening at a minimum I would probably use LMR-240 or 240 Ultraflex.

Be very careful next to those power lines, even though they are insulated there is still a risk of shock, especially considering you will be touching a good ground. And there is also the problem of electrical noise as mentioned before, I would seriously consider your options for getting the install away from the lines as much as you can.

prcguy

Running the coax into the house near the existing AC power entry is ideal since that is the best place to ground a lightning arrestor with the shortest ground wire. If you install another ground rod there are rules on how far it must be from another one and you must bond the new ground rod to the main house ground rod with no less than 6ga copper wire. See NEC article 810 for specific grounding rules for antennas.

There is basically no noise you will encounter from power lines at 800MHz, just keep the antenna far enough away so if it falls it won't hit the lines, and if the lines fall they won't hit your antenna.

other side would require a new rod

Evnldr

Here is a better rough diag all grounds bonded to ac ground rod. surge arester and pole bonded to ac ground

Attachments

• Antenna 01.PNG
    Antenna 01.PNG
    494.5 KB · Views: 45
  • antenna 02.PNG
    antenna 02.PNG
    240.4 KB · Views: 43
  • antenna 03.PNG
    antenna 03.PNG
    139.4 KB · Views: 43

Frankhappyg

Premium Subscriber
Personally I wouldn’t put anywhere near a power line.

Odds are you might do all that work and might not pick up nothing but white noise do to the line.
Then you’re back to square one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.