New antenna on OPP cruisers

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncleblackie

I'm sure a few of you have noticed the new additional vhf/uhf dual band antennas on some of the cruisers in the GTA.
I have to assume this is in preparation for the G20 summit?

But why dual band? I thought the comms were going to be on the new RCMP uhf only trunk system?

unlisted

Sorry for the large image, I have seen this on a few of the Aurora GTR vehicles. Looks really silly IMO.

I meant to ask if anyone had a clue what they are doing these days with the added antenna.. I just figured it was for a new in car computer, I heard reference a few times with it being "buggy"

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMzUtMjAxMDA0MTUtMTQzM.jpg

uncleblackie

That appears to be a wilson cb antenna.

I am referring to an antenna with a coil in the middle. Similar to a Larsen 2m/70cm amateur or other dual band antenna.

Now that I think about it, I guess it could be a 5/8 wave uhf only.
It just reminded me of the Larsen dual bander (one of my personal favourites), thats why I automatically thought of it.

Last edited:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
looks like, from front to back on the trunk, there is a wilson CB antenna, then a Uhf antenna of some sort, i have not done the math for wave length at the frequency, so cant be sure of the exact type, for the mobile extender, and finally what looks like a 5/8 wave Vhf antenna.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
It is a wilson CB UHF 1/4 wave with a spring and VHF 5/8 3db gain. I own all 3 models

uncleblackie

None of these are what I am talking about.
This antenna has a loading coil in the middle of the whip.
Please reread my previous two posts.
I would have thought when I said it was similar to a larsen 2/70 everyone would be aware of what i was talking about.

Now does any one know what I am talking about in my original post?
Is this new antenna (not the cb antenna,not the standard vhf and uhf antennas already on the cruisers) for interoperability for the RCMP radio system for the G20 summit?

I was in the GTA all last week and saw these on a few different cruisers, so I'm sure some of you must have as well.

Last edited:

Keganm

Premium Subscriber
I know OPP has recently begun to update their computer systems in their cars. what you're referring to may have something to do with that.

unlisted

uncleblackie- relax a bit. Yes, your post was not directly answered as of yet, and sadly, what I encountered is not what you did. The discussion is still on OPP and OPP antennas, so I am confident someone will answer your question shortly.

If you are that concerned about knowing, I suggest calling the OPP direct and asking them- nothing wrong with wondering what the "new equipment" is on the marked police vehicles- after all, they are providing a public service. (and I know they get even weirder calls than that- this call would rank around a 2 out of 10 for a "what the..." question)

I will meander into the HSD parking lot later this week, and get some more photos- if I can find the type of antenna you speak of. If there is an officer around, I will ask for you as well. (I'm up there pretty often on other agency matters)

Hope this helps...? (and sorry for hijacking your thread unintentionally)

Muxlow

Super Secret
Are you talking about this antenna between the 2 gps/cell antennas?

Iv seen a few HSd units toss a cb in their car.. but seems all the new HSD cars with the toughbooks mounted onto the dash have this extra antenna plus the 2 pancakes and the UHF repeater and VHF fleetnet antennas

As you can see the one pancake on the left is alot smaller.. kinda looks like a Tremble gps antenna rather then the antenna plus style

Attachments

• DSCN0490.jpg
    DSCN0490.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 2,166
Last edited:

uncleblackie

Yeah, thats the one. Although I didn't recall it having two coils, but the cruisers I saw them on were all going in the opposite direction so i just caught a glimpse.

So you think that is an antenna for data transmission for the mobile workstations?
Makes sense, I had thought it might be for access to the RCMP system for the G20, but I guess not.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Yeah, thats the one. Although I didn't recall it having two coils, but the cruisers I saw them on were all going in the opposite direction so i just caught a glimpse.

So you think that is an antenna for data transmission for the mobile workstations?
Makes sense, I had thought it might be for access to the RCMP system for the G20, but I guess not.

Sorrry uncleblackie, was just going off the photo that was added. The only difference between the antennas with one coil and two is the amount of gain. The antenna Muxlow is refereing to in the photo that he uploaded is a 800Mhz antenna with 5db of gain. The antenna with one coil is going to have 3db of gain

In Alberta/BC/NWT/Yukon those and its elevated feed cousin are very common. The elevated feed version is ground plane independant and again very common in this neck of the woods.

uncleblackie

Yes, now that I see it has two coils it looks like a wideband 825-896mhz antenna, which if it is for the MWS's would make sense as they are probably running on Bell's cellular data network.

Muxlow

Super Secret
As soon as i saw your question i knew what you were talking about and i just happen to of had a picture of one of these:)

And it seems that they are only on the HSD cars or ones with MWS.. that also seem to be mostly HSD

derevs

The antenna on the roof appears to be a tri-band antenna.
Perhaps it is for a scanner.
I have one identical which I have had for several years. Don't know the brand though.

SuperTex

As soon as i saw your question i knew what you were talking about and i just happen to of had a picture of one of these:)

And it seems that they are only on the HSD cars or ones with MWS.. that also seem to be mostly HSD

I have seen a few of the two coil antennas... but then again I see a lot of HSD vehicles in my travels.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
The antenna on the roof appears to be a tri-band antenna.
Perhaps it is for a scanner.
I have one identical which I have had for several years. Don't know the brand though.

No, it is just cellular, 5db gain. All of the trucks at my work have them. With motorola fixed mount phones w/ 3w amplifiers, unfortunatly we use Bell Mobility. we work where there is poor to no coverage. I believe that the one on the truck in the picture is a Maxrad, driver side front fender.

Just took this photo, and yes that is snow on the quads, been doing this for about 12 days off and on.

Attachments

• May03_0006.jpg
    May03_0006.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,965
Last edited:

unlisted

Seeing as how I live in the boonies known as zone 3 (it's civilization though compared to zone 4) and only get to the GTA about once a month, it seemed new to me. When did they start equipping the cruisers with them?

I've seen those antennas for at least 2 years now.. but than again, they had the "MDT pilot project" start out of HSD, and in supervisor vehicles in other areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.