New antenna problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildbillx

Premium Subscriber
Hello, I just got the MFJ 1868 discone antenna with 50ft of rg-58 coax but had to splice the so 239 with a bnc connection. I am not impressed with the reception, I get better reception with my rh77ca handheld antenna. Is there something wrong I did with the coax or something I can do to get better signal? I am also looking to increase my 800-900mhz trunked frequency range, but can not have anything outside my place. Any suggestions? Thanks

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
wildbillx said:
Hello, I just got the MFJ 1868 discone antenna with 50ft of rg-58 coax but had to splice the so 239 with a bnc connection. I am not impressed with the reception, I get better reception with my rh77ca handheld antenna. Is there something wrong I did with the coax or something I can do to get better signal? I am also looking to increase my 800-900mhz trunked frequency range, but can not have anything outside my place. Any suggestions? Thanks

The discone is a unity-gain antenna, so it's going to be of limited value for distant signals.

To get what improvement you can, use the best coax you can afford (throw the RG-58 in the trashcan) and keep it as short as possible; at the very least try good quality RG-6, which is lower loss and is double shielded.

Tom WA8PYR

wildbillx

Premium Subscriber
THanks

THanks, do you know any shop that I can order a so-239 to a bnc at about 20ft. I dont like homemande splicing.

wildbillx

Premium Subscriber
also...

anyone know what kind of antenna under $100 for trunked freq. 800-900 towers about 35 miles away.

JackTV

You mentioned that you spliced a connection...That does not sound good at all.
Do yourself a favor and get yourself some GOOD coax like LMR 400 with the right connectors installed on the coax.Rg 58 is VERY lossy with long runs.Try the RF connection in Maryland good coax and pretty good prices.

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.