New antenna?

SA_tx_88116

Rather listen than to stream
So just recently I programmed my local police talkgroups but I am noticing that it does not pick up all transmissions like sometimes it stops on the signal but there is no audio the system that I am monitoring uses 770.000 mhz to 774.000 mhz I’m wondering if possibly a BNC 800 MHz REMTRONIX REM-830B Base Antenna (Back Of Set) antenna will improve reception I also noticed that the T that indicates reception of talkgroup data is flashing and sometimes it doesn’t even show up. help and recommendations are appreciated

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
An antenna installed outside as high as you can get it will help dramatically and will out perform the back of the scanner antenna any time.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It is likely they are using encryption. Most scanners will block the encrypted audio.

Unlikely it is caused by your antenna. You are either going to be able to receive the signal, or you are not. Replacing the antenna isn't going to fix this.

SA_tx_88116

Rather listen than to stream
It is likely they are using encryption. Most scanners will block the encrypted audio.

Unlikely it is caused by your antenna. You are either going to be able to receive the signal, or you are not. Replacing the antenna isn't going to fix this.
I’ve checked and my talkgroups use absolutely no encryption

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I’ve checked and my talkgroups use absolutely no encryption

Well, it's a trunked system, right?
The signals from a trunked system site are all going to be using the same antennas at the same power levels, so if you are receiving the site, at an acceptable level on your scanner, and you can hear some talkgroups, then the antenna is not your issue. Individual talk groups won't result in different signal levels from the same trunked site.
Some radios might be using encryption, while others are not.

If this is a multisite system, and you are trying to listen to multiple radio sites, then you likely need a better antenna, but you'll need something better than a back of set antenna if you want to see any real improvement.

ind224

A Pro 197 will pass encrypted audio and that works out well. If it seems everything is encrypted I lock it out temporarily and move on knowing something is happening, probably a bit more elevated than a speeder. If I get lucky one or more units working with the encrypted unit are in the clear by accident or ?? so I continue to listen and put puzzle pieces together.
Pro 197's will also flash the T when scanning but the T will go away when locked on a TG.
Always check CC decode % when you have issues. Why program a TG? Program the CC's and catch the TG's you actually hear and you can add an alpha tag later if you wish.