New antennas on CHP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the way home I saw 2 CHP cars with a new antennas configured
They were kinda square shape over the rear window of the patrol car.
This by the way is in Ventura area CHP. ( Coming thru Camarillo Ca.)
New to me any ideas?

DW
So. Cal

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I don't know, I'm in Northern California,

However, that sounds a lot like the multifunction antennas used on more and more public safety vehicles. Often they will do LTE (FirstNet or which ever provider they are using), GPS, WiFi, etc. Some support 700/800MHz also.

Depending on the manufacturer, they come in all different shapes. Some are square/rectangular.

For years CHP ran a small round pancake looking antenna that was for their cellular interface for the terminals. I'm guessing they are migrating to a multiband/multifunctin version.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I am curious if this is some sort of new LB antenna or something for the 700 MHz SVR252 "extenders".

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I doubt it's low band. They still like the base loaded whips mounted center of the roof.

Many of those types of antennas have a 700MHz radiator, so could be used partially for the extenders. I know they used to run the cellular antennas on the back of the Crown Victoria roof.
I just ordered a similar type of antenna for a trial project. Needed an antenna that would do LTE bands as well as WiFi and GPS. There's a ton of them out there now in all kinds of shapes.

Ok well on the way home i saw another CHP, this time with a paying customer so I got a better look.
Now my question is how do they mount these on motors?
Way to large. Really getting more and more brain fog.

DW
So. Cal

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
What were the lengh of the antennas? 12" to 18"?
My guess is they are for lojack. Many police agency's here have that antenna configuration on the roof of the car. Where better to look for them than on the highways.
My other guess is for the RF bank tags that may or may not still be used since the criminals look for those first to get rid of them. Kinda of a long shot.885d1133090926lojackgreenvillelojack-1.jpg

Something like this?

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Something like this?

No. Without a photo, it would be hard to guess which brand/model it is, but from his description, it's a LTE antenna for their terminals. They ran the old ones on the back of the sedan roof when they were running Crown Vics.

The photo you posted is the LoJack array used for tracking stolen vehicles. They run on the high end of the VHF band. Using different time of arrival at the antennas, they can get a relative direction.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Ok mckenna
I was not sure if these were for data terminal.
And did not realize that motors are staying low band .
BTW.
I take it you are a coasty?

DW.
So. Cal

The cars are staying on low band also, they just have more equipment in addition to the primary low band system. The 700 MHz extenders allow officers in cars to communicate on low band, high band, UHF and 700/800. I've heard some officers make comments about how much room all the radio gear needed to accomplish this takes up in trunks. Obviously, the motors can't have this capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.