New antennas on CHP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
You may have noticed CHP ditched the Laird antennas for the ones in the pic above.

Paul
You're referring to the low band "wideband" Laird antenna? I noticed that as well, but haven't been able to identify the replacement.

steinberg

You're referring to the low band "wideband" Laird antenna? I noticed that as well, but haven't been able to identify the replacement.

New one is a Panorama AVLWB 39-46. For some reason Panorama Doesn't have it listed on their website, but it is listed in a few price sheets floating about.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
39-46MHz...lol...seems like it was specifically designed for CHP!

Paul

shinkley

Listen More
Sorry I couldn't find a thread on the 700 MHZ extenders, so will chime in on this one.

Has anyone heard 700 MHZ extender traffic in Orange County CA??

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
I'm in Garden Grove next to the 22 fwy. It's rare but yes I have heard them. I think they maybe very low power.
By way of comparison, the current mobile license (KA4993) has the VHF extenders at 0.3W. I imagine they are spec'd to have a very short range – maybe tens of feet – since the whole division is still on the same channel.

Does anyone know if they did something interesting with the extender logic to handle multiple units at one scene, since the whole division is still on just one channel?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
By way of comparison, the current mobile license (KA4993) has the VHF extenders at 0.3W. I imagine they are spec'd to have a very short range – maybe tens of feet – since the whole division is still on the same channel.

Does anyone know if they did something interesting with the extender logic to handle multiple units at one scene, since the whole division is still on just one channel?

The extenders going back quite a ways had a method to determine when other active extenders were in range and would negotiate one to take over as primary and the others would go into standby.

OrangePelican

Sorry I couldn't find a thread on the 700 MHZ extenders, so will chime in on this one.

Has anyone heard 700 MHZ extender traffic in Orange County CA??
I'm in Garden Grove next to the 22 fwy. It's rare but yes I have heard them. I think they maybe very low power.

You won't hear much. 90% of the time these channels only need to reach the repeater in the patrol car. There's a few 700MHz channels meant for extender to extender but most people don't use these and some are encrypted.

I just checked to make sure and Garden Grove is in the Westminster CHP area and they dont share a channel with the adjoining areas. Maybe I'm misunderstanding though.

The extenders going back quite a ways had a method to determine when other active extenders were in range and would negotiate one to take over as primary and the others would go into standby.

Still the case. The cars are supposed to figure it out. When multiple cars are in the same area with active repeaters one car becomes the primary while the others should go into standby.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
The cars figuring it out thing is hit and miss. It seems that when there is a pursuit involving multiple CHP area offices, I tend to hea rthem get multiple extenders on and dispatch not being able to hear units. These would be the type of incidents where officers are busy pointing guns and can't get back ot the cars to mess around with extender settings.

On the freeway, expect about maybe 1/4 tops for 700 extender RX, which is about what I get when aproaching crash scenes. Line of sight say on an elevated bridge, your talking like 5+ miles easy.

Paul

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
I just checked to make sure and Garden Grove is in the Westminster CHP area and they dont share a channel with the adjoining areas. Maybe I'm misunderstanding though.

That is correct, Westminster, Santa Ana, and San Juan Cap. all have different extender channels. I would guess the same for Santa Fe Springs, different channels. Since I live in the eastern part of the Westminster area of the 22 Fwy, I also have Santa Ana extenders programmed. Again it is rare that I hear them. I would think the problem lies with a half dozen or more radios receiving what the one guy is transmitting and hearing all the other radios repeating it. A massive echo effect.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
The extender channels are matched to the color channels...Orange 1 for San Diego happens to share the extender channel for Blue 1. The CHP handhelds also have one zone of 16 channels with all 16 extender channels to manually select them...each extender frequency has a fixed NAC asigned. Also, the officers can manually override the extender selected in the car to an alternate or any of the other 16 VRS channels if they really need to for whatever reason. (per a CHP officer)

Paul

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Nice picture. It even had enough resolution to nearly every button once I downloaded and saved the picture. I have a neighbor who is a CHP officer and the next time I see him park his rig outside I will have to look in and compare. Most of the time he parks it in his garage. He tells me it simplifies his off duty time as he doesn't have to unlock this long guns and secure them inside. Once inside he is required to lock them in a gun safe.

All Bridgeport Area Office officers take their vehicles home. This even in Bridgeport itself, I had a neighbor when I lived there who took his vehicle home, although I don't think the officers who live in the same town as the area office are considered to be at a resident post. I think the officers who live in Bishop might take their vehicles home, but I'm not positive. The greatest number of officers in the CHP in the eastern Sierra live in Bishop. Resident post officers are subject to off shift callout, but my neighbor in Bridgeport did not go out at night very often.

Officers on this side of the Sierra probably don't get their vehicles updated as much as officers in the other portions of the state do. Then again, officers over here put more miles on their rigs than those in cities do so they might get a replacement more often. I don't think the CHP goes in to "update" vehicles, I think they just start equipping the new vehicles with the current setup.

This setup must have a means of lowering that screen otherwise the visibility looks to be compromised. I've been in Mono County for almost 40 years and there aren't any events where public safety vehicles are put on display. Sometimes the CHP will have a booth at the Tri County fair (Inyo-Mono-Alpine), but they usually don't open the door or roll down the windows on the rig they park there. Bishop Area Office vehicles are mostly sedans and all of the Mono County rigs are 4WD SUV's. I wonder about the wisdom of this when I realize that the CHP and Caltrans moved their boundaries on U.S. 395 up to Tom's Place in the last 5-10 years, which is above 7,000 feet after climbing the Sherwin Grade, a long sustained 6% grade north of Bishop.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Also, the neighbor's CHP SUV had the full antenna setup I've seen in the latest photos shown here on RR. The only 700 MHz use in both counties would be the CHP, DFW and State Parks extenders. There are only 2 trunking systems in the region as well. SCE's Phase 2 system and the 30-35 year Type 1 trunked system of the Mammoth/June Mountains Ski Areas. If a person doesn't want to listen to those a Bearcat 210 is sufficient to hear everything else. I'm hoping it will stay that way.

see7

All that nice equipment and they choose Coban for the video system lol.

alexgeo

I admire how the CHP seems to do everything a little bit different. No boring Toughbook and Havis console. Instead they have a floor mounted equipment console, iKey(?) monitor/keyboard, and a Kenwood LB radio. A unique setup to say the least.

Looks a lot better than the ridiculous CVPE deal they had going.

Status
Not open for further replies.