• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New AnyTone hand helds with FHSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
AT-3318UV-D dual band 2m/440 Wouxun is history | Buy a better radio, buy Anytone
and
AT-3318UV-E tri band 2m/220/440 Wouxun is history | Buy a better radio, buy Anytone
It says in addition to wide/narrow FM they both do frequency hopping spread spectrum (FHSS) and also receive AM Aircraft, Shortwave, Longwave & FM Broadcast bands.

Home page Buy a better radio ..... buy Anytone

I have the AT-3318UV-D. I do not use it for transmit, but for receive the audio is not very good at times. Sounds a bit distorted at times. With that said, it's much better radio than the Wouxun (I had the UV-6D). While scanning, it really only stops on the actual DCS or PL tone programmed. None of that stopping on a channel with no audio because the radio only mutes signals with a different DCS or PL (reason I returned the UV-6D).

It does do 2 tone decode. That works ok, but I've had issues with the beeps not being loud enough. You can have one pair only. I paid $99 which made it a decent deal. I only use it for dual watch on public safety incidents using 2 channels. For that it works great.

prcguy

Import Communications claims their version is made to their specs and not available until later this month, so maybe it has the additional features. I've dealt with Ed Griffin at KMA Antennas/Import Communications for many years and he is one the most honest guys you will find in the business. Maybe I'll give him a call to clear up questions about the FHSS and other features.
prcguy

I forgot to mention the AT-3318UV-D does NOT do FHSS. It also does not receive air band. VHF High and UHF only.

prcguy

Here is info from Ed at Import Communications on the FHSS option:

"they actually work, using a 1 MHz spread. For example, if set for 439 MHz, the transmission spreads from 438-439 MHz. It is undetectable by a radio tuned to either of those frequencies.

To set it up you program one of the side buttons to activate the FHSS function. You set a certain channel with a MSK tone in it. This channel can be any frequency. The FHSS function is set to any frequency you want to use. All radios in the group are monitoring the same channel. When the side button is pushed, all the radios in the group pick up the MSK tone and switch to FHSS mode and can talk to each other."

An answer to my question about the legality of FHSS on the amateur bands:

"Allowed on all bands above 2 meters.
Rules and Regulations on Amateur Spread Spectrum Communications

Part 97.311 Spread Spectrum FCC Rules for Ham bands:

97.311 SS emission types

(a) SS emission transmissions by an amateur station are authorized
only
for communications between points within areas where
the amateur
service is regulated by the FCC and between an area
where the amateur
service is regulated by the FCC and an amateur station
in another
country that permits such communications. SS
emission transmissions
must not be used for the purpose of obscuring the
meaning of any
communication.
(b) A station transmitting SS emissions must not cause harmful
interference to stations employing other authorized
emissions, and
must accept all interference caused by stations
employing other
authorized modes.
(c) When deemed necessary by a District Director to assure compliance
with
this Part, a station licensee must:
(1) Cease SS emission transmissions;
(2) Restrict SS emission transmissions to the extent instructed;
and
(3) Maintain a record, convertible to the original information
(voice,
test, image, etc.) of all spread spectrum
communications transmitted.
(d) The transmitter power must not exceed 100 W under any
circumstances."

This opens up a new world of FHSS experimenting in the amateur bands with an off the shelf radio.
prcguy

Import Communications claims their version is made to their specs and not available until later this month, so maybe it has the additional features. I've dealt with Ed Griffin at KMA Antennas/Import Communications for many years and he is one the most honest guys you will find in the business. Maybe I'll give him a call to clear up questions about the FHSS and other features.
prcguy

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The -E tri-band model looks interesting. FHSS looks like something interesting to experiment with.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Got an email from Ed at Import Communications today.

AT-3318UV-A ............................. in stock now

AT-3318UV-D ............................ in stock now

AT-3318UV-E ........................... in stock now, limited supply

AT-5888UV III ........................... available mid-October
•Tri-Band Mobile
•This radio will be available October 2014

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I ordered a pair of the AT-3318UV-Es, still waiting for the order status to show as shipped...

Is there any possibility of a FHSS mobile radio?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I emailed Ed about my order. He replied that there is a batch of -Es sitting in customs, and orders should ship out today or tomorrow.

beleeson

Mine just arrived in the mail today. Just now getting it programmed. I am a little mad that it came in a box marked as a Dual Band unit as well as the Hardcopy user manual is for a Dual Band unit. But I guess I can get past that...just if I decide to sell it, the packaging and manual won't match. I'll be contacting Ed to see if proper box and manual can eventually be sent.

First thing I have noticed is that the volume knob is way sensitive and not much adjustment range to go from loud to nothing on the far end.

We'll see how it runs and al three bands and ease of operation.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I fired mine up last night. They TX/RX on all 3 bands as advertised, and the volume controls seemed fine to me. The only thing I couldn't figure out how to get working was the FHSS. For now I'm blaming that on the less-than-stellar manual, and the less-than-less-than-stellar programming software.

KD8DVR

I'm curious if the FHSS works correctly... There was one model that came out briefly a couple years ago that only "hopped" when you pressed a button. Each time you wanted it to hop, you had to press the button, so all you really had was a radio that changed frequencies on command, rather than a real FHSS radio that automatically changed frequency multiple times a second automatically.

prcguy

See post #6.
prcguy

I'm curious if the FHSS works correctly... There was one model that came out briefly a couple years ago that only "hopped" when you pressed a button. Each time you wanted it to hop, you had to press the button, so all you really had was a radio that changed frequencies on command, rather than a real FHSS radio that automatically changed frequency multiple times a second automatically.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Initial testing seems to indicate that the Anytones don't do real FHSS. I set up SDR# on my laptop to see what the radio is doing when the FHSS button is pressed. It sends out a chirp on the programmed channel frequency when the FHSS button is pressed, and the display shows FHSS. Then when the transmitter is keyed, the transmission shows up in the specified 1MHz window, but the TX freq doesn't change until the FHSS button is pressed again. So while it's a convenient way for a group of radios to semirandomly change channels together at the press of a button, it doesn't appear to be true FHSS.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The Anytones have some nice features that do work as advertised. Cross-band repeat, independent receive (transmitting on frequency A while receiving on frequency B) is possible, good audio quality and modulation, good build quality, and TX power that matches specs. The only thing not living up to the hype is the FHSS feature. It's still cheaper than a comparable tri-band Yaesu, Icom, or Motorola.

kv5e

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
The Anytones have some nice features that do work as advertised. Cross-band repeat, independent receive (transmitting on frequency A while receiving on frequency B) is possible, good audio quality and modulation, good build quality, and TX power that matches specs. The only thing not living up to the hype is the FHSS feature. It's still cheaper than a comparable tri-band Yaesu, Icom, or Motorola.

Good.....they are a true two band at a a time with two RX so that makes them worth the investment for that price point if that is type of radio you are looking for.

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.