new AOR AR7400

Status
Not open for further replies.

wb4sqi

Premium Subscriber
Wondering how this receiver would handle the LMR sub-band from 380 to 400 MHz? I’m confident AOR gave zero consideration to that sub-band.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
That's a lot of receiver just for airband... AOR must be going after a specific government contract or narrow commercial need.

Somewhere, someone said they need something like this.

AOR has a pretty long history of working with the US Government. I remember seeing photos of AOR Wideband receivers installed in Navy EA-6 Growlers...
I viewed an AOR receiver (wide open for govt use) at the NYC Aircraft carrier museum years ago. It was part of the equipment the marines took with them when they deployed.

w5dac

What would really be cool would be to have 4 VFO's, 4 speaker jacks, ect. with the DV1 so you could....well you guys know. Now that would be a really usefull receiver.

Minus1

How many countries have that VHF military aircraft band ? Or is it an American thing ?

Mike
Many European countries use it.
It is not much used in the UK, but there are a few air to air frequencies used.

Minus1

I very much hope AOR cover 8.33 kHz channels properly. It is essential in Europe, where the majority of VHF airband transmissions now use 8.33 kHz channels rather than 25 kHz frequencies. Many scanners have provided 8.33 kHz steps for years, but this only one third of the job. A narrower bandwidth for 8.33 kHz channel is essential, as is the radio being able to both accept and display the channel number. For example "128.005" is actually a channel number representing a frequency of 128.0 MHz and a bandwidth of (circa) 8.33 kHz.

MStep

Somehow, it seems that somehow coincidental with a timeline with Covid, AOR has taken a step back. I'm hoping not, but wondering, if they tragically lost some of their key engineering personnel. I may have broached the subject once or twice in other threads based on a recent experience I had with them.

As essential as 8.33 is, I know that I and others have been asking them to add a 3.125 MHz step to the DV1 for quite some time, but to no avail. And the last firmware update on the DV1 came over a year ago.

As an aviation monitoring enthusiast, and living at a center point between three major NYC airports, I was looking forward to the 7400 as a dedicated aircraft receiver.

fires999

Evening,
Has anyone heard on any further news re the 7400 ? Saw it advertised briefly over here in a UK Radio magazine by one of the dealers with a picture and "Watch this space" caption ...Obviously Covid has had massive impact - bit of a double edged sword really with the pandemic halting equipment production and new releases BUT that same pandemic causing Radio listening/Monitoring etc on a all time high during lockdown.
Priority is health and well being of all those involved in our Radio Hobby, look forward to spending some money on new items as they slowly appear in our shops and online.
Thanks,
fires999

MStep

Think AOR gave up as well :confused:

Mike

For those following the saga; the closing of many repair facilities, the botched 5700 introduction, the 7400 disappearance, and several firmware update snafus for the DV1, would seem to indicate something along the lines of a slow-motion Titanic disaster.

I wish them well, but happier days appear long past.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
You forgot to mention the batch of new DV1's with faulty USB chips, or rather perfect USB chips but 'faulty' owners as AOR might prefer to describe it, who dare to notice the problem and want it fixed. When there were so many reports of this, what did AOR do?

As a responsible Company based in Japan, they took the reports as 'insults', and would not acknowledge the problem existed. One might assume their Dealers worldwide were told to deny the issue. With the exception of Martin Lynch that is what happened, despite many new DV1's being returned to other Dealers. so they must be aware.

Did AOR stop distribution, or make sure all unsold stock was checked before it was sold? I will let the reader guess those answers. Although lately buyers of NEW DV1's, with the fault, have been 'allowed' to send their Radio to Japan for a 'free' repair (lucky them), initially AOR charged several customers. In some cases the USB chips had already failed, straight out of the box, or did so after a maximum of a couple of days.

I sort of like the 'Titanic' analogy, except in this case and passenger who mentions seeing ice dangerously close is classified as a 'fake news peddling enemy', and the Captain apparently keeps ordering the Bridge to find more icebergs and to steer toward them (SIGH).

MStep

Touche Marlbrook, how could I miss that? Nevertheless, in the maelstrom of other issues hitting AOR almost simultaneously and recently. I mistakenly thought that issue might have been behind them. And have the owners of these newer DV1's with the issue who have been "allowed" to send their DV1's back for repair been compensated for the return trip to the factory or dealer?

Last edited:

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Touche Marlbrook, how could I miss that? Nevertheless, in the maelstrom of other issues hitting AOR almost simultaneously and recently. I mistakenly thought that issue might have been behind them. And have the owners of these newer DV1's with the issue who have been "allowed" to send their DV1's back for repair been compensated for the return trip to the factory or dealer?

I only know of two that have been fully reimbursed, but there may be more.

I know of others that actually paid for the postage AND repair ... for brand new Radios!!!

That is the other big issue. Why should people who buy a Radio, especially costing that much, be expected to have to have it returned to Japan for repair. It is easy enough for the Retailer to check and establish the fault exists, and then it should be their absolutely responsibility to replace the DV1 or refund the purchase price immediately. Of course 'knowing' there is this issue, the Retailers should test any DV1's they have before selling them, even if AOR will not.

I know I have said this many times. It is SAD and MAD of AOR to let down Customers over this, and the DV10. The AR-DV1 is a superb and unique little receiver. One of which they should be proud.

Minus1

Has anyone heard on any further news re the 7400 ? …

I would suggest looking at AOR's social media channels to find out; but wait, AOR despite being a technology company selling to the entire world, don't seem to have noticed this thing called "social media". :rolleyes:

MStep

(Snipped for brevity).....

That is the other big issue. Why should people who buy a Radio, especially costing that much, be expected to have to have it returned to Japan for repair. It is easy enough for the Retailer to check and establish the fault exists, and then it should be their absolutely responsibility to replace the DV1 or refund the purchase price immediately. Of course 'knowing' there is this issue, the Retailers should test any DV1's they have before selling them, even if AOR will not.

I am not sure what the situation is in Europe or Asian, but here in the states, as far as I know, there are no dealers who stock the AOR radios. In fact, I believe that one dealer has even stopped taking orders for any of the AOR series.

Those that are sold are drop shipped out of California directly to the consumer and the dealers are simply "order-takers". Most that are still taking orders have strict "No Return, No Refund" policies. This is for obvious reasons with the mire this would cause if a customer who got a bad radio refuted the charges and then did a charge-back. Dealers don't want those entanglements.

And testing would do little good before shipping in any event, especially if the USB port problem can show up days, weeks, or months later.

AOR has to recognize and 'fess up to and correct the issues, both with the quality of production and who picks up the tab for the return trip to Japan for a warranty issue. Most of us recognize that warranties require the end-user to pick up the tab for return to the manufacturer or dealers--- AOR has created a unreasonable situation by requiring repairs be shipped to Japan.

That may be OK for their commercial and military customers. It's a bit of a bite for the average consumer.

P.S. Let me try to get the thread back on track. The 7400 looks like it was to take it's form factor from the DV1. An extremely interesting concept for lovers of aviation radio with 4 separate tunable and scannable receivers. If the pricing position were in or around the ballpark of the DV1, I feel certain that it would have made for a great product. As for myself, living geographically between three of New York City's major airports, (JFK, LGA and EWR), I would have certainly been interested.

While some have complained about the "retro" look of the DV1 screen, I am sure it would have worked out just as well on the 7400. I guess right now it's just "dreamware" for most of us, but who knows, they did show the product at a Consumer Electronics Show (I don't know if it was operational or just a mock-up), so it may, one day, actually take off !

Last edited:

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
And testing would do little good before shipping in any event, especially if the USB port problem can show up days, weeks, or months later.

Presumably the Retailer still takes his or her 'cut' from the Sale, and at the same time 'washes their hands' regarding any problems the paying Customer faces. Nice work if you can get it.

Of the USB problems I have collated, most have been there straight out of the box. Others after just a couple of hours, and 2 after two days. Certainly not weeks or months. This is not a random issue, it is a definite fault with numerous DV1's from the same recent batch, so personally I cannot agree that once the fault was reported and known about AOR and the sellers could, or would not have made checks before selling the Radios.

Too much trouble for AOR or their Retailers to take perhaps, especially when there is a chance of more profit by charging for the repair.

Of course as an actuarial exercise then they no doubt are happy to gamble that many new buyers, even if the USB fault existed immediately, might not use the USB port for some time, if ever. Then if / when the fault was discovered months later they could charge and increase their profit margins.

It would appear that, the official line at one time at least was it must be the Customers fault anyway, because they had used a 'bad' USB port on their Computer.

In line with the 'can never be our fault' Manufacturer's policy of course. All AOR products are 120% perfect, just inefficient, bad and blameworthy Customers to blame, plus the spreaders of 'Fake News' (like me), who 'dare' to bring the truth to other's attention.

Hopefully AOR have taken some steps to ensure the USB issue is correctly resolved in future batches, even though we can never know, because the problem never existed apparently.

"Never let the facts interfere with the interpretation of the truth, and never let the truth interfere with the interpretation of the facts" (My own created 'saying'. (SIGH).

The first RULE in recent Politics, and enthusiastically embraced in certain areas of Commerce now it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.