new AOR AR7400

Status
Not open for further replies.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
New AOR AR7400 airband receiver announced:

Gommert

Thanks Gommert!

This looks interesting. I see 4 audio out jacks on the rear so I assume it has 4 VFO's but only one antenna input.
I'd like to have seen at least dual antenna inputs, one for civil and one for military air bands.

I wonder what the cost will be.

palmerjrusa

Is AOR getting into the scanner business?
They sure seem to be getting out of segments of the wideband receiver world, the AR-DV10 isn't even listed at Universal Radio, the AR-DV1 is listed as discontinued at ScannerMaster and no HRO outlet has any new stock of either receiver.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
AOR will never get into the scanner business unless they shell out big bucks for the firmware specs to Uniden and/or Whistler. This new radio for all its bells and whistles is an airband radio, not a scanner, I am quite sure....Mike

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Is AOR getting into the scanner business?
They sure seem to be getting out of segments of the wideband receiver world, the AR-DV10 isn't even listed at Universal Radio, the AR-DV1 is listed as discontinued at ScannerMaster and no HRO outlet has any new stock of either receiver.

You sure about that?

Universal Radio is showing the AR-DV10 in their catalog:

Normally no one "stocks" AOR receivers. Dealers take orders and have AOR drop ship the radio to the dealer's customer directly.

HRO is showing some DEMO units available on their website. HRO is accepting orders for new AR-DV10, again probably for direct drop shipping from AOR.

HRO AR-DV10

w4amp

Premium Subscriber
AOR AR7400 Air Band Receiver

The AOR AR7400 is a special scanning receiver with unique coverage and features for the air band enthusiast. It covers both the civil and military VHF aero bands: 108-137 MHz [AM], 225-400 MHz [AM] plus broadcast 76-108MHz [WFM]. The radio has four independent tuners (VFOs). The rear panel has four 3.5mm speaker output jacks, one 3.5mm line output jack and a BNC antenna jack.

mancow

Database Admin
That's ... odd. Neat idea though. Unfortunately it will be way more expensive than it's worth.

I prefer this model on that page.

7400t9.jpg

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I prefer this model on that page.

Ah, trade show girls. I knew a girl in college that did that at the National Association of Broadcasters trade show. Her job was to sit on a set and let people try out studio cameras. She said some of they guys were pretty creepy and she got a lot of inappropriate comments. She never did it again. I can only imagine what it would be like at an amateur radio show, considering some of the people I've seen at ham-fests.

Interesting radio, though. Wish I had an interest in air band listening, looks like it's got possibilities.

Xray

Looks nice, hard to see it has much of anything over a Pro 2006 outside of variable tuning though and will send most into sticker shock. Maybe it will find a niche though with guys in areas with heavy milair activity.
My first handheld was an AOR 1000, loved that thing it was the airshow king for years and still would do a very respectable job.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
My first handheld was an AOR 1000, loved that thing it was the airshow king for years and still would do a very respectable job.

That was the second scanner I ever owned. First one I had that did 800MHz.
I've got an AOR-2300 at one of my high sites, fun radio to play with, but the software is a bit buggy.

palmerjrusa

You sure about that?

Universal Radio is showing the AR-DV10 in their catalog:

Normally no one "stocks" AOR receivers. Dealers take orders and have AOR drop ship the radio to the dealer's customer directly.

HRO is showing some DEMO units available on their website. HRO is accepting orders for new AR-DV10, again probably for direct drop shipping from AOR.

HRO AR-DV10

Oop sorry, you're right, it's listed beside the AOR-Yaesu brand. I had just looked under the AOR listings.
I have seen AOR receivers listed as "in stock" as per other radios in the past.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
That's a lot of receiver just for airband... AOR must be going after a specific government contract or narrow commercial need.

Somewhere, someone said they need something like this.

AOR has a pretty long history of working with the US Government. I remember seeing photos of AOR Wideband receivers installed in Navy EA-6 Growlers...

cg

Premium Subscriber
One thing I noticed on the translated page was reference to scan speed.
"Ultra-fast 1-second scan / search. For example, the time required for scanning in the range of 108 to 137 MHz is about 1 second (when signals are not output on all channels)"
30 MHz per second is pretty decent. If it were per VFO, you could do civilian and military bands in 5 seconds (I calculated using 3 vfos for mil and 1 for civilian). Can't do better without a computer and a number of dongles or pricey SDRs.

I would assume/hope there is a computer port under that "AUX" cover

chris

jaymatt1978

Since they're advertising a 4 VFO RECEIVER I think one VFO SEARCHES and the other three VFOS sit on one frequency. so I think, in theory, I could always listen to 122.700, 123.4500, 249.8000 then search VHF/UHF bands all at the same time or just have it sit on four separate air frequencies. I WOULDN'T say it's "four airband scanners in one unit" because you can't do four separate searches at once! Again if you know EXACTLY what it can and can't do it would be an excellent airband receiver because it's specifically tuned for the VHF/UHF airband frequencies. I want to know what it can and can't do before I'd buy it

N9JIG

Sheriff
The ability to simultaneously monitor up to 4 freqs is going to be a huge selling point for small airports and heliports, FBO's etc. If this comes in under $800 I think it will be a good selling radio for that market and will probably induce me to get one too.

Xray

One thing I noticed on the translated page was reference to scan speed.
"Ultra-fast 1-second scan / search. For example, the time required for scanning in the range of 108 to 137 MHz is about 1 second (when signals are not output on all channels)"
30 MHz per second is pretty decent. If it were per VFO, you could do civilian and military bands in 5 seconds (I calculated using 3 vfos for mil and 1 for civilian). Can't do better without a computer and a number of dongles or pricey SDRs.

I would assume/hope there is a computer port under that "AUX" cover

chris

If it actually has jaw dropping search speed [bot scan], that would be something special.

Xray

The ability to simultaneously monitor up to 4 freqs is going to be a huge selling point for small airports and heliports, FBO's etc. If this comes in under $800 I think it will be a good selling radio for that market and will probably induce me to get one too.

I would think most any airport, small or not, would already have the ability to monitor [and communicate on] multiple freqs - And they are also heavily into redundancy, so would not purchase a single receiver just because it could monitor 4 freqs at once ,, But they might indeed get one to compliment existing monitor only setups.
I wonder how it avoids audio conflicts when multiple freqs are active, separate output for every VFO I am guessing ?

I agree that it sounds intriguing and I also agree that research must have been done on its potential market, and that market is not the hobbyist market. My cutoff would be around $600 [unless it has some kind of hyper-search ability], in which case I would also be in for around $800.

Status
Not open for further replies.