new AOR AR7400

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmerjrusa

I hope that the EU version will cover also 138-144MHz - this is the VHF military AIR band in Europe.
I also don't understand why AOR included the FM broadcast band (useless).
Regarding the tiny monochrome display - wake up AOR, it is year 2019!

Color touch screens are nice but if the receiver does what it claims to do and does it very well I'm not bothered too much by the lack of a color display.

N9PBD

Premium Subscriber
Found old picture

Holy cow, that cockpit looks like it was built in somebody's basement. I've worked on some old stuff, RF-4C, F-4D, F-4E, F-105G, and on the prototype F-4G Advanced Wild Weasels back in the late 70's, early 80's, but that picture has all that stuff just about beat. The only thing close was the kludged together prototype Multi-Sensor Display Group radar display system by Hazeltine for the F-4E Phantoms with the Target Identification System Electro Optical (TISEO) mod. That thing sucked six ways from Sunday. It took a 12 hour shift to align it, and it usually required realignment after one mission. (n)

questnz

Yes I also have another similar photo but taken looking directly at the AOR and cockpit, awesome, unfortunately I cant find anywhere in my old
backups. I recall it looks like taken from working aircraft and better quality picture. Maybe in analog times they used as backup receiver. Obviously uncle Sam trusted AOR quality enough to use in the mission critical situations.

nanZor

Despite a prototype, it is still vaporware, which is not only unfair to the consumer, but also to other manufacturers.

If you know how to make a radio, then show me the money, not vaporware prototypes hoping that consumers will just hang on to what they have, or frighten other manufacturers from considering some competition.

Ahem - Whistlers new models that never made it and got dropped are a recent example - and a whole different discussion not useful here.

AOR should know how to make a "receiver" already. As such, and not a scanner where some things are not so important, most of us I think are pretty tired of being beta-testers - for something which may or may not actually make it to market.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
AOR should know how to make a "receiver" already. As such, and not a scanner where some things are not so important, most of us I think are pretty tired of being beta-testers - for something which may or may not actually make it to market.

I agree! It's not rocket science. Icom Kenwood, Yaesu and others have been makeing dual-watch radios for decades. Quad-watch shouldn't be that difficult. It will probably be cheaper to buy four Uniden BCT15X scanners and stack'em to accomplish the same goal with much more flexibility!

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
It will probably be cheaper to buy four Uniden BCT15X scanners and stack'em to accomplish the same goal with much more flexibility!

Perhaps there is already a handheld on the Market which includes all Air Bands, with specially built in hardware frequency instability?

Then running four side by side one could monitor an almost infinite number of frequencies at the same time, as each Receiver drifted, and its firmware applied algorithms to try to compensate.

All the frequencies would probably be 'close' to what was displayed at any moment in time, but rarely exactly correct, and constantly varying. Something other Manufacturers just cannot currently achieve (thank goodness).

There again some might believe AOR has already anticipated that possible marketing strategy, lol?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I agree! It's not rocket science. Icom Kenwood, Yaesu and others have been makeing dual-watch radios for decades. Quad-watch shouldn't be that difficult. It will probably be cheaper to buy four Uniden BCT15X scanners and stack'em to accomplish the same goal with much more flexibility!

I think the difference is that the dual watch radios don't always have dual receivers, but just a priority scan function.

Actually having multiple receivers in one box is a better approach. Well, maybe not quite as good as having completely separate receivers. In the commercial marine field, there are usually multiple VHF radios on the bridge, rather than relying on a priority scan to catch the traffic.

prc117f

I predict price of 2000usd and you get FM broadcast band desense included for free along with drift,RF hash and poor, sensitivity as well along with the great AOR UI.

questnz

I predict price of 2000usd and you get FM broadcast band desense included for free along with drift,RF hash and poor, sensitivity as well along with the great AOR UI.

Pure speculation on the price my friend. FM is included for these who want break from Air stuff and listen to some music in between. Nice.
ps Can we just wait until release date of the fully working unit before posting more guessing and speculative stuff here.
After all it was an announcement only, long way from actual release date yet.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
DV-10 users are still waiting...

Mike

:(:sleep:......:mad::mad::mad::mad:!!!

There's no excuse for this. Why don't they attemp a fix, replacement, or refund? Not unlike UNIDEN, they're just hoping everyone will either sell it to some unsuspecting person, or they'll just go away. People have spend a lot of hard earned money on these State-Of-The-Fart radios, they shouldn't be so tolerant and forgiving!

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
Of course you are totally right. AOR will never do the decent thing whilst DV10's are still being purchased. I understand why people who either do not know, or cannot accept a Company that has produced very good quality equipment in the past, are still buying it. Also there are those who post that there is nothing wrong with their AR-DV10, and throw doubt on those who post differently, after exhaustive testing and comparison.

No doubt once one has paid that much there is an element of not wanting to believe the actual position too.

This is further complicated by the fact that the frequency drift concerned will not be much of an issue when receiving Analogue signals, or very strong Digital ones. Only when compared, side by side, with a good, stable Digital Receiver will it become apparent. With weaker Digital signals,them being 'off frequency' will be undetectable. No squelch opening, no audio, nothing to indicate what signals the Radio is missing.

These points are relevant to the proposed AR7400, because one might hope AOR will at least make sure it is correctly tested before release, and not rely on the reports of those who supposedly tested the AR-DV10.

Despite the Icom IC-R30 being an excellent receiver (sadly lacking DMR), at almost half the price of the DV10, there are no doubt many (including myself) who would pay the extra IF and only IF the AR-DV10 was correctly modified, and a new version released by AOR.

Any noticeable heat related frequency instability is totally unacceptable in this day and age. Something that can never be completely 'fixed' by firmware releases. Only a redesign at hardware component level would do.

questnz

Absolutely same here, on the specs DV10 looks like all in one receiver to keep. Unfortunately not to be due to ongoing issues. Disappointing as I use to have AOR-3000A an excellent receiver, used with Scan Cat software, always regret to sell it. Also there was AOR-AR7030 another great HF receiver at its time. Obvious AOR can make good radios, not sure why there are so many issues not resolved fully with current crop frustrating owners.

prc117f

Having a stable clock is not rocket science. Even tv tuners for SDR use have a stable clock. Maybe AOR should have used a tv tuner chip and call it a day. Thats what uniden did for the SDS and its worked out great. How did AOR drop the ball on such a basic principle defies logic.

woodpecker

Having a stable clock is not rocket science. Even tv tuners for SDR use have a stable clock. Maybe AOR should have used a tv tuner chip and call it a day. Thats what uniden did for the SDS and its worked out great. How did AOR drop the ball on such a basic principle defies logic.

The SDS didn't really work out great, using that tuner chip left it open to chronic intermod and very poor dynamic range, its awful on airband or in any area with moderately strong signals. Uniden then added a set of filter options to try and botch the tuner bandwidth around which doesn't really work and leaves the user having to try quite a few options on every frequency to see which works best. Its another poorly designed unit with botched firmware trying to fix poor hardware, its not as bad as the DV10 but its still a botched mess.

If Icom added DMR to the R30 that might be a radio actually worth buying...

Status
Not open for further replies.