new AOR AR7400

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubbe

I hope that the EU version will cover also 138-144MHz - this is the VHF military AIR band in Europe.
It's FM in that band, but that's good if that could be added, instead of WFM, as in my country they use FM for mil-air in UHF. When they have joint operations with other countries they switch to use AM.

Hopefully AR7400 would be using narrow tracking filters and they really should add a seperate connector for UHF.

Using a SDR dongle and software I can search the whole 118-137MHz range in 2 seconds, including locked out frequencies for spurios signals and interferencies that slows it down. So probably around 1 sec if the receiver has a "clean" RF reception. Plugins like Omnirig can control a "real" receiver and set it to a frequency when the dongle finds an active frequency for better receive quality. 3-4 dongles and 3-4 BCT15s would be a great setup so AR7400 needs to beat that in reception performance and not cost more than $600 as it only does analog and only one kind of service, so very limited and specific use. I wouldn't mind if they added the whole frequency range of 25MHz-500MHz with quick band scanning. It's a minimal cost to add filters for those bands and have the VCOs to cover those ranges. Why make it so limited in capabilities when it takes so little ta make it a fully fledged conventional receiver that would attract more people?

/Ubbe

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
AOR needs to do something about that awful display. If the Chinese can put OLED displays on HT's and transceivers why can't AOR do the same with their receivers ?

Kfred

photoshop a small multifunction knob in place of the large tuning knob. rub the letters off of most of the keys and it will look a lot like an old uniden scanner sitting on a shelf in a pawn shop. I hope the internal parts function better. ;)

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
photoshop a small multifunction knob in place of the large tuning knob. rub the letters off of most of the keys and it will look a lot like an old uniden scanner sitting on a shelf in a pawn shop. I hope the internal parts function better. ;)

Looks almost identical to the AOR DV 1 but just different colors. Same orange display too.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Any news on the 7400? For how long has it been delayed?? :rolleyes:

Very good question, I hope I live long enough to see it. I can't imagine what would be taking so long. They obviously had a prototype back in January.

I wouldn't think it wouldn't be a big challenge. It's AM, analog, non-color display, other than being four in one there's really nothing new that I'm aware of. I think I commented previosuly I think if I want something like that I'd just buy a 4-slot Spectrum Force desk mount and 4 Uniden BCT15X scanners and achieve similar results for less money. I'd have four individual displays and bigger ones at that. I'd be able to use ProScan on all four and display all four on one computer with remote access.

Groeteschele

Icom or Flightline dedicated VHF airband transceiver probably better quality and cheaper without AOR usual buggy software issue. For UHF airband any good scanner would do.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Icom or Flightline dedicated VHF airband transceiver probably better quality and cheaper without AOR usual buggy software issue. For UHF airband any good scanner would do.

That may be but this product is intriguing due to the 4 VFO's. None of the other commercial products, transceivers or scanners, allow 4 channels to be heard at the same time.

All that said, the cost of 4 BCT15X's ($170 each), a good multicoupler ($200), power adapter and deskstand ($100) totals just under $1000. The BCT15X is awesome on VHF and UHF airband (Trust me!) so unless the AR7400 comes in at a much lower price or provides phenomenal performance the smaller foot print might not be worth it.

AOR-262

@N9JIG

Quote: as you say ... "That may be but this product is intriguing due to the 4 VFO's. None of the other commercial products, transceivers or scanners, allow 4 channels to be heard at the same time"

How would you cope with having FOUR wives all chatting different conversations to you at once??

:rolleyes::rolleyes: :unsure::unsure:

milcom_chaser

We noticed it does not cover 138 through 150Mhz. This will preclude its ability to monitor 138-143.975, and 148-151.975AM for VHF Military aircraft radio. What a bummer, not worth the investment.

Last edited:

N9JIG

Sheriff
@N9JIG

Quote: as you say ... "That may be but this product is intriguing due to the 4 VFO's. None of the other commercial products, transceivers or scanners, allow 4 channels to be heard at the same time"

How would you cope with having FOUR wives all chatting different conversations to you at once??

One wife is more than enough for me but I am quite used to having multiple radios chattering at once.

I can see this being useful in the office of a small airport, one channel programmed to the local Unicom, one on Tower, one on Ground and another on 121.5 or the local Approach. Priority would be set by volume.

I say this because I have sold sets of 4 BCT15X's with a Stridsberg multicoupler, desk mount and 4-port power supply to several small airports to use in the flight office to monitor the local channels and provide the audio to a PA system or feed. Each would have preferred a single radio to perform these tasks but as there was nothing like that available they ended up with this.

One thing I noticed on the W&S video at
, at about the 2:06 mark there is a covered "Aux" port. The diagram above appears to be an indication of a Display Port. I doubt that would be an SD Card slot under the panel as there already is one on the front. If it really is a DP then that could be an interesting, if not really useful, feature.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
We noticed it does not cover 138 through 150Mhz. This will preclude its ability to monitor 138-143.975, and 148-151.975AM for VHF Military aircraft radio. What a bummer, not worth the investment.

Good catch, but that could change. It hasn't been release yet and the specs may have been preliminary and the final product might include them. I think that would be a big factor for marketing this radio!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
@N9JIG

More radio noise, less wife noise! :rolleyes: Wives should have squelch controls. :censored: :cool:

milcom_chaser

Good catch, but that could change. It hasn't been release yet and the specs may have been preliminary and the final product might include them. I think that would be a big factor for marketing this radio!
The only way that's going to change is if people email AOR with a request for coverage in AM mode up thru 151.975

Xray

How many countries have that VHF military aircraft band ? Or is it an American thing ?

Mike

Never paid much attention to what bands other countries use, certainly is a factor in USA - And to those of us in the USA, that is all that counts.

milcom_chaser

How many countries have that VHF military aircraft band ? Or is it an American thing ?

Mike

Mike
That would be something to look-up and see if the VHF radio used in F-16, A-10 have a different band plan for export. In N Europe we monitored activity on that band.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.