BCD436HP/BCD536HP: New at this, seeking guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary985112

Hi everyone,

I just got the scanner 2 days ago and I have been doing a ton of reading. I really enjoy learning about all of this. That being said, I still feel like I'm missing a lot of information. If you could help me with the below questions that would be excellent thank you so much for your time.

- since this scanner picks up a lot of different types of signals, it's been overwhelming to me. I want to know if you are scanning and you run across a frequency and it's a control channel for p25. Do you just save it in favorites and then you could listen to the entire trunked system?

- can you recommend a place that shows all of the different signal types (p25, fm, am, trbo, etc). Do you program all of these into your radio the same?

- I'm just really wanting to scan trunked systems and I don't know what to do if I run across one. If you find a control channel and save it till you get to search by talk group or something?

Any help would be appreciated. I just have no idea what to do when I run across the different signal types. I only really feel comfortable operating in the main database of channels but I wanted to start storing some frequencies in the favorites. Is it really hard to store trunked systems for a beginner?

Gary985112

Welcome to Radio Reference! If you don't have it, the first thing you need to do is download and install Sentinel, free programming software supplied by Uniden. http://info.uniden.com/UnidenMan4/BCDx36HPSentinel If you give us your city, county, and state, I will give you links to the database in your area. Don't be afraid to ask questions. We are here to help!
Hi there!! Thanks so much for your help. I have been using RadioReference database for my area (I'm in charlotte, nc, in mecklenburg county). I have been just overwhelmed at all of the options near me. I had a few questions.

- What is the difference between a system and a "site"? I notice that you can "lock site" on the bcd436hp radio. I just get system and site confused.

- Are ALL of the trunked systems in the database at RR? I was just wondering what discovery mode did. Will discovery mode find trunked p25 systems that are not in the database?

What is the difference between a system and a "site"? I notice that you can "lock site" on the bcd436hp radio. I just get system and site confused.

- Are ALL of the trunked systems in the database at RR? I was just wondering what discovery mode did. Will discovery mode find trunked p25 systems that are not in the database?
A "System" is a collection of radios from the same area or organization, such as "My Town Police"

A "Site" is a transmitter location.

The database is a collection of information submitted by users here or members. So if something isn't submitted, it won't be listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.