NEW-B (Intro and a few questions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
New here... wanted to introduce myself.

Ex Fire Fighter. Scanner Enthusiast.

Former Amatuer Radio Operator (KB8OPW). Checked out for a while and my license has lapsed. Haven't renewed, assuming it is even possible.

Used to piddle around on 2m band with a Kenwood handled (which I still have)... a TH225 (?) I THINK. Have to look and seee what it is anymore... it's 20 years old and still like new.... LOL... I like taking care of my stuff. Anal that way. Had it hooked up to a well designed home made antenna in the day, and routinely spoke with folks in Canada on cold clear nights.

Started with a Uniden 800MHz scanner that I modded, at the time, to get cell frequencies open before THEY went digital.

Have a Uniden Bearcat 235(?) trunk tracker (over 15 years ago LOL). Was the first Uniden Trunk Tracker, I believe. Still works for my local 800 trunked public safety system, though, and I still listen and enjoy it. My neighboring county is on a digital trunk though, and it don't work for that... too old.

Time to UPGRADE (to say the least).

Now, my questions:

Looking at buying a RS PRO-106...looks like it is what I need/want in terms of Price/Capability...

1) Will Win500 DL local trunked freq data directly via the app FROM radioreference? Or, do I DL the csv s and import it into Win500 THAT way, or.......???... not sure on that yet.

I will upgrade my membership here shortly to do this.

2) Is Win500 the preferred app for the PRO 106?

Looking forward to getting the 106 and experiencing the paradigm shift that ocurred over the last several decades since I got my last scanner. Loads of good info here... Love it.

With my previous scanning background and Amateur Radio experience, and having read the DLd 106 owners manual, it doesn't look too daunting, but, clearly things are orders of magnitude improved over the "old" ways.

I saw immediately that third-party software and uploading to the scanner was clearly a preferred way of getting it all in there and maintaining sanity.

In any case, CHEERS, and thanks for the tolerance of my basic questions in advance.

Grumpy Aero Guy

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I prefer PSREdit for editing my Pro-106, but Win500 is also an excellent program. The best part is they both come with free trials, so kick the tires on both of them and see which one suits your preferences best.

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
Excellent link... read thru it and answered all things I was wondering about..... appreciate the heads-up.

NOW..... when is that next RS sale ad coming out.......?

KB5ILY

If you are ever interested in getting your ham license back since it expired 01/26/2003 and the two year grace period ended 01/27/2005, you would have to take the 35 question Tech. exam as a minimum. There is not a CW exam any more. Then if you wanted to upgrade to either General or Extra you could.

If you wanted to get KB8OPW back, first you would be issued the next call in the pool, then you could use the Vanity Call system and get it as it has not been re-issued.

Status
Not open for further replies.