**New Baltimore (City) System Discussion**

Status
Not open for further replies.

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
Not true. Had one assigned to me for the day as a loaner.

Unfortunately, that is impossible as there is no such thing as an 800MHz XTS3500, and none of them did trunking of any sort. What you probably has was a 3500 label on a 3000 housing. This has happened on numerous occasions on radios coming back from depot.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
1MB astro spectras can operate on a 9600 system if its running the current host/dsp firmware.

ocguard

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately, that is impossible as there is no such thing as an 800MHz XTS3500, and none of them did trunking of any sort. What you probably has was a 3500 label on a 3000 housing. This has happened on numerous occasions on radios coming back from depot.

That must have been what it was.

gregsto

<bump> Any changes? Mike

So far nothing seems to have changed and bcd996t scanners with the 'old' firmware, as well as 'old' talk group settings continue to function without problems......even during two 5 alarm fires in 10 hours! All indications are that the city has not yet put the rebanding in operation.

ocguard

Premium Subscriber
There is no update. Both fire and police are using the same frequencies and talk groups we've been using forever.

As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, the Transition Administrator (responsible for scheduling 800mhz re-banding switch-overs) has Baltimore City schedule to switch to re-banded frequencies in mid- to late-2011.

Until then, it is POSSIBLE that fire will switch to 9600 and the new talk group layout. It will not be soon, though. There has been minimal training in the new talk group template. We still have not received our XTS5000 radios to replace existing XTS3000s, and existing XTS5000s must be updated.

Our newly installed XTL5000 mobiles do have the new talkgroup template in them (along with the current one), but the new template does not affiliate or key up.

Also, each station has received an enclosure with a new MOSCAD radio and RTU.

Timeline
Installation of new fixed network equipment &#8211; complete
Changeover to new equipment &#8211; current
Testing of new equipment &#8211; current
Removal of old equipment &#8211; as replaced
New Radio order &#8211; July 2010
New Radio delivered &#8211; August 2010
Coverage testing of new system &#8211; before September 2010
New Radio &#8211; Programming, engraving, inventory, distribution &#8211; late summer through winter 2010
Reprogramming of old XTS5000 and XTL5000 radios
New Template becomes the live template &#8211; late 2010 or early 2011
Reprogramming of all radios &#8211; late 2011, early 2012
City wide
Public Safety is priority

C17LVFD

Premium Subscriber
This is all quite interesting...

I've got a BCD996t with the latest firmware. I redid all my 800 systems in the scanner recently as I changed some things. I'm not picking up anything for the city on my 996t. I can pickup balt. county just fine, but not the city... Downloaded from the RR database and uploaded into the scanner via ARC996.

The only thing I hear is A2 over the VHF simulcast on my mobile... Also am finding the the VHF simulcast for C1 is no longer working...

Any help getting it up and running would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Seth

Dewey

I've got a BCD996t with the latest firmware. I redid all my 800 systems in the scanner recently as I changed some things. I'm not picking up anything for the city on my 996t. I can pickup balt. county just fine, but not the city... Downloaded from the RR database and uploaded into the scanner via ARC996.

The only thing I hear is A2 over the VHF simulcast on my mobile... Also am finding the the VHF simulcast for C1 is no longer working...

Thanks,
Seth

I only get into B-more City's receiving range once or twice a month. Back around October when I was up that way, I noticed that I never did get any of the city's transmissions. When I manually walked through the 4 control channels, I did not hear the data stream. Is it possible that B-more City has a control channel that has not been discovered?

Dewey

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Without seeing any programming files, it's almost impossible to guess why you two are having trouble. I have no issues with just the 3 CCs in the database (I have a 396), but there's always a possibility they've added a 4th somewhere.

The most likely problem has to do either with quick key assignments or system/site types. In FreeScan, I have the system as Moto type 2/P25, and the site type as 800 standard type 2. As I work in Woodlawn, I listen primarily around the Southern/SW/SE talkgroups as well as citywide. This is not a true P25 system.

73 Mike

Dewey

Without seeing any programming files, it's almost impossible to guess why you two are having trouble. I have no issues with just the 3 CCs in the database (I have a 396), but there's always a possibility they've added a 4th somewhere.

The most likely problem has to do either with quick key assignments or system/site types. In FreeScan, I have the system as Moto type 2/P25, and the site type as 800 standard type 2. As I work in Woodlawn, I listen primarily around the Southern/SW/SE talkgroups as well as citywide. This is not a true P25 system.

73 Mike

Thanks Mike. Except for that one time when I couldn't get as much as a control channel, I have never had a problem monitoring B-more when I'm up that way, so I know it's not my configuration. This is why I considered that there was a missing control channel. Haven't had the problem since that one time.

Dewey

Dispatcher308

Premium Subscriber
That is why you never do control channel trunking only, I always put in all frequencies you never know when something is going to change.

I was listening to Baltimore City on my way to work this evening with no issues.

gregsto

Thanks,
Seth

As has been mentioned, without seeing the programming files it is hard to say what is wrong. If i understand you right, the problems began AFTER you made some sort of change....so that is the obvious place to start. I too have notice that C1 simulcast suddenly stopped working a little while ago.

troymail

Silent Key
That is why you never do control channel trunking only, I always put in all frequencies you never know when something is going to change.

This is a trade-off.... if you're trying to listen to multiple systems and the strength of a system is weak, having the radio check all of the CCs to find a good CC including all of the voice frequencies can really affect performance (Baltimore has 28 freqs). If using all freqs (not CC Only) and if the radio allows it, put the known CC freqs at the front of the list.

Of course, the flip side is that all of the sudden the system might begin using a previously voice only frequency as a CC --

You just have to decide what's right for your situation.

Looks like the usual CC freq is being used this morning -- 868.95Mhz

C17LVFD

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for all the replies. I did some checking through the programming files, and I imported control channels only, hence why I was having issues. Thanks to everyone for their input. It's now working well!

As to why C-1 is no longer simulcast, last time I talked with one of the guys I know at Teltronics, who from what I understand services Baltimore City's radio system, the simulcast hasn't been maintained. I believe they were going to keep A2 up as some volunteers who get out the food truck, 454 I believe still monitor for dispatches of VHF... Otherwise, my guess is the the C-1 simulcast bit the dust.

Next time I chat with him I'll ask.

Thanks All!
Seth

ocguard

Premium Subscriber
The C-1 simulcast was "iffy" the other night. It was intermittant, and when it did come in, the volume was very low. I'll ask around and listen in at work this weekend.

154.415 (A2 Simul) will be maintained as it is a back-up dispatch source.

ericcarlson

Database Admin
It has been reported on scan-dc that one of the frequencies in the Baltimore City system is now broadcasting a P25 control channel. Please submit updates to the database.

troymail

Silent Key
It has been reported on scan-dc that one of the frequencies in the Baltimore City system is now broadcasting a P25 control channel. Please submit updates to the database.

I *think* I'm picking up a faint P25 CC signal on 868.7375 (which is listed on RR as a B City alternate CC) -- It looks like the SysId being broadcast is "39F"

Status
Not open for further replies.