• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New Baofeng doesn't like my yagi

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK6VJT

I recently purchased a Baofeng UV-5RA and wanted to pair it with a 4 element yagi I bought from a guy last year. I hooked everything up with some SMA adapters I ordered with the radio; nothing. I thought maybe a bad cable, so I check continuity: nope, everything's good there. I check the adapter; everything seems okay there too. I can't figure it out; could something be wrong with the antenna itself? The radio works fine with the rubber duck it came with as well as the RD off my UV-3R+. Now it gets weird; I connect the 3R+ up to the Yagi; signal clear as a bell! Does anyone know what could cause this? Is there some setting in the 5R that limits the incoming signal?

N2SCV

Premium Subscriber
Is the beep turned on? Seriously.

I recently purchased a Baofeng UV-5RA and wanted to pair it with a 4 element yagi I bought from a guy last year. I hooked everything up with some SMA adapters I ordered with the radio; nothing. I thought maybe a bad cable, so I check continuity: nope, everything's good there. I check the adapter; everything seems okay there too. I can't figure it out; could something be wrong with the antenna itself? The radio works fine with the rubber duck it came with as well as the RD off my UV-3R+. Now it gets weird; I connect the 3R+ up to the Yagi; signal clear as a bell! Does anyone know what could cause this? Is there some setting in the 5R that limits the incoming signal?

nd5y

If you receive good with the stock antenna but not with a better one it means the receiver, which is poorly designed, is being overloaded or desensed. There is nothing you can do about it.

KK6VJT

Thanks for the quick reply friends. I've tried it now with the beep on and off, and still no reception with the Yagi on the UV-5. I remembered I had a mag mount in my truck and tried that one too. Both the UV-5 and the UV-3 work fine with that and the two rubber ducks I've tried. It seems strange that the UV-5 would be overloaded like nd5y suggested while the older UV-3 would work fine. I don't know much about desensing; I'll have to look into that.
If you receive good with the stock antenna but not with a better one it means the receiver, which is poorly designed, is being overloaded or desensed. There is nothing you can do about it.

khaytsus

Thanks for the quick reply friends. I've tried it now with the beep on and off, and still no reception with the Yagi on the UV-5. I remembered I had a mag mount in my truck and tried that one too. Both the UV-5 and the UV-3 work fine with that and the two rubber ducks I've tried. It seems strange that the UV-5 would be overloaded like nd5y suggested while the older UV-3 would work fine. I don't know much about desensing; I'll have to look into that.

Actually that is NOT surprising. I have a UV-3R and a UV-3R+ which both work MUCH better in RF than a UV-B5. I don't have any 5R's but I've always heard the B5 is better for RF than they are.

The B5 goes COMPLETELY DEAF on a high gain antenna. The 3R's work fine. Better filtering I suppose.

Yes, you're simply seeing overload. If you have any filters you could try they might tone down the external noise, but honestly the SDR's just simply can't demodulate a single frequency when the RF noise is so high. It's like hearing a single voice in a crowd of screaming people.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
I would suggest running the radio with its stock antenna-can it receive(might try the weather band ). I have had problems where the radio is set for tone squelch ect. Try to isolate the issue-is it just VHF or just UHF? If you are using a yagi, the antenna itself is somewhat 'narrow banded'.

My guess is one of many possible settings. Get it working with the stock antenna, then swap antennas and solve the rest of the problems -like overload.

Good luck.

lmrtek

They are easily desensed by any local transmitters

The bigger the antenna the worse the desense

kayleesdad

Similar issue with a baofeng bf-f8hp on 2 meters. The yagi locks it on "standby mode" and it won't receive. Works fine on 70cm with a yagi. Works fine with the stock antenna on 2m and 70cm. Probably have to get a more expensive transceiver, some new models coming out this year, hopefully I can save up for one.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Exactly. Baofeng is $29 worth of plastic and a 99c receiver. Yougetswhatyoupaidfor!

lmrtek

The Baofeng has a lousy front end so it is likely being desensed by interference.
I tested a UV5-R against a cheap bubble pack FRS toy radio and the toy radio had a MUCH better front end.

Status
Not open for further replies.