• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New Baofeng UV-5R

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSB51708

I just purchased a Baofeng UV-5R & I am looking for some help & tips on programing it.

I have heard that the "Chirp" software is good but do not know where to begin.

My computer is running Windows 8.1 as well.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.

WQPW689

UV-5R Getting started

Have one myself. Lotta fun for not too much money. However, programming the thing is going to take you a bit if you're not used to these Chinese radios, and it's a little too involved for me to try to give detailed instruction. I use Chirp just fine. You'll need to download drivers and such.

I'd start here:

Baofeng Pofung Wouxun UV5R UV82 UV8D UV82X GT3 UVB5 Information Site, Ham Radio

Click on the UV-5R model and it'll take you into that particular section. Plenty of downloads. I'd start with The FAQ page.

Don't forget YouTube. There are numerous applicable videos there.

Good Luck!

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
I just purchased a Baofeng UV-5R & I am looking for some help & tips on programing it.

I have heard that the "Chirp" software is good but do not know where to begin.

My computer is running Windows 8.1 as well.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.

You need the programming cable and a computer that will accept it's drivers. You'll probably need to figure out what COM port your computer will talk to your radio over. You'll need the CHIRP software which is available with a simple google search.

I have programmed my UV-5R via the official cable using CHIRP under Windows 7 with no major problems. I didn't find it all that hard, just followed my nose.

wkm

Hand programming it from miklor's instructions is pretty easy. I have to do it that way because either my cable is broken or my ht is. Going to buy a fdti chipped cable to diagnose.

DJ11DLN

You can also use a Kenwood cable, that's what I had on hand and it worked. Chirp isn't exactly intuitive but if you play with it for awhile you'll figure it out. You get what you pay for with these radios. I bought a couple last year to play with and while I was surprised at how rugged they've so far proven, they have some issues. Using one as a scanner will be maddening because they are pretty wide-open and thus subject to interference and intermod, and the scan rate is, well, just real slow. And the stock antenna is pretty dismal as well. But they're cheap, so it's hard for me to bash them too badly...if they cost $200 apiece, I'd have been pretty disappointed. Well, if they'd cost $200 apiece, I'd probably never have ordered one in the first place...

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
First thing is to get either a Kenwood or factory Baofeng programming cable with FTDI chip. If you get a $5-6 cable off Ebay or Amazon with a fake Prolific chip, it's unlikely to work at all. A decent cable is going to cost about $20. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HUB0ONK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Once you get a working cable, go into Device Manager and make a note of what COM port it is using. This will change depending on what USB port you plug the cable into.

First step is to download what's in the radio. Start up CHIRP, plug the cable into the computer and radio, and ALT-D will bring up the download dialog. Select your radio make and model, and make sure you have the correct serial port selected. The channels and settings in the radio will import into CHIRP. Change the default channel display to 0 to 127 to match the radio. Now you can change radio settings and channel settings in the channel spreadsheet and settings dialog.

When you're done, ALD-U will bring up the dialog to upload the settings from CHIRP back to the radio. You can change the COM port, but not radio make/model (for obvious reasons).

Make sure you save the preset file in CHIRP before you exit.

Kd9bku

I purchased the same radio and had the same issues. At first i used You Tube and programed a couple of repeaters in. After that i sprang for the software and cable. It sounds confusing but once you get started it all works out pretty easily.

westsac95691

Premium Subscriber
Trying to enter the frequency (via radio) 452.18750 into the baofeng uv5r and it just jumps the frequency to 452.185 Not sure what im doing wrong here. Please help

nd5y

The step (menu 1) must be set to 12.5, 6.25 or 2.5 kHz then you must use the up/down arrows to set the last digit. (press 4 5 2 1 8 7 ^)

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Just set the step to 2.5K and you can enter any reasonable frequency setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.