New BC95 owner, totally lost!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianGP

It's been 20 years since I bought my last scanner and this BC95 has got me totally confused and frustrated. I can't even enter in a single channel to list to.

I bought this scanner to take to some Nascar races and listen to some of the local action here in Niagara. I did D/L the software from the Uniden website but it only shows a graph where I can store freq. in a chart and then upload to my scanner. I also bought the USB-1 cable.

All these new features confuse me, is there a tutorial anywhere on this canner?

captclint

Mentor
Normally, I would preach that software is the best approach to load frequencies, but this scanner is really not that hard to program. Check page 33 of the manual: Storing known frequencies. You should be able to enter a few dozen Nascar freq's fairly quickly. You can just start with channel 1, and then 2, and 3, etc.
As for Uniden software, I've never attempted to use it, but I think it is pretty much what you describe. A chart, or probably a table, where you type in frequencies and the channel number. Once they are entered into the table, you just download them to the scanner and they end up just as if you entered them manually. I am sure it comes with a help file or manual that should not be hard to follow. The toughest part is usually getting the PC to recognize the scanner, but USB cable should help.

Then just hit scan. All the new features can be explored later, but getting something you can listen to is, or should be, fairly easy. Don't be confused with banks. They are a convenience so you can organize frequencies for easy turn on/off. See page 32. For instance, if you put all the Nascar frequencies in channels 1-20(Bank 1), and your local Police/Fire in channels 21-40(bank 2), you just hit "2" while scanning, and Bank 2 will be shut off so you can listen to Nascar. Hit it again and it will be unlocked for scanning again.

Last edited:

N8IAA

CanadianGP said:
It's been 20 years since I bought my last scanner and this BC95 has got me totally confused and frustrated. I can't even enter in a single channel to list to.

I bought this scanner to take to some Nascar races and listen to some of the local action here in Niagara. I did D/L the software from the Uniden website but it only shows a graph where I can store freq. in a chart and then upload to my scanner. I also bought the USB-1 cable.

All these new features confuse me, is there a tutorial anywhere on this canner?

1. Turn on the scanner. Set the squelch so the radio starts scanning. Pick the first bank by pushing 2,3,4, etc. until the #1 is blinking
2. Push the SCAN button. This puts the scanner in manual mode.
3. Push FUNC, then E/PGM. This allows you to enter the frequency.
4. Push E/PGM. This enters the frequency into Bank !, Channel !. Keep doing this to program the rest of the channels and banks.
5. Press SCAN. The radio begins to scan and you will enjoy the new toy.
Even the easy scanners got more difficult. The manual actually sucks for programming info. I believe they thought everyone was going to use the Close Call feature, or, search functions.8>)
It ain't like the old Bearcats!
HTH,
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.