New BCD 996XT, now kinna' bummed out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rasputen246

:confused:What will I do with my 9 other scanners??????

:confused:How many 996's can I buy, 1 every 2 months? Can I swing it?

:DHow did I live with out this scanner??

Yes I could take med's for this problem.
Cause like eyes00only's sig states:

"There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

I guess you could say the scanner impresses me more now than reading about it did. Lets see, I need 1 just to run bandscope 24/7, 1 to run Trunk88 or unitrunker, 1 for the car, 1 for regular monitoring in the house.

One more thing.....ocd996. Second day.
(no adult supervision)

atfd291

Premium Subscriber
yes, if only i made more $$$

i'd be able to buy a 996xt for all those applications as well. Until then, i'm stuck with my 396xt and a wife that gets annoyed because i carry it everywhere and i'm always doing something different with it (i.e. pro96com).

Great hobby to have, very thankful for everyone in these forums that help provide info for people like me.

Dewey

:confused:What will I do with my 9 other scanners??????

:confused:How many 996's can I buy, 1 every 2 months? Can I swing it?

:DHow did I live with out this scanner??

Yes I could take med's for this problem.
Cause like eyes00only's sig states:

"There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

I guess you could say the scanner impresses me more now than reading about it did. Lets see, I need 1 just to run bandscope 24/7, 1 to run Trunk88 or unitrunker, 1 for the car, 1 for regular monitoring in the house.

One more thing.....ocd996. Second day.
(no adult supervision)

On a serious note, it's good to use the older "unusable" equipment for things like Trunk88 and Unitrunker input since all they will do is sit on a control channel for days into weeks into months, etc...

Dewey

rasputen246

Ha ha..I "collect" , so I actually am running 6 computers.
Still fighting the trunking sites, it's like I am missing a control channel. It works fine for 12hrs, then dead for 12. Tried disconnecting the antenna then reconnecting to no avail. Got some more work to do, but still no adult supervision.

Kennrth

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like you are on the edge of scanner insanity to me LOL. Also sounds like your location is on the edge to getting 24 hour clear reception of associated control channels. You need a very good signal on the control channel. Also you may be getting broadband interference at your location during the time your trunking system seems to stop. Listen to your control channels see if it is active loud and clear of noise. It could be local interference, like a triac driven light dimmer , TV, A battery charger, thermal blanket, Bad arcing insulator on power line, etc. I have 6 computers in the house but two are off limits to my insanity except when no one is looking. About ten scanners would complete me but may be 11 would be better and a spare for each one. May be just one more for the bathroom recessed in the wall just above the toilet paper. I’m working on it.

N8IAA

Still fighting the trunking sites, it's like I am missing a control channel. It works fine for 12hrs, then dead for 12. Tried disconnecting the antenna then reconnecting to no avail. Got some more work to do, but still no adult supervision.

You might have to put in all of the re-banded frequencies in along with the two CC's in the 860Mhz range for your county so you don't miss anything.
Larry

Dewey

A lot of systems will rotate the control channel on a periodic basis to share the transmiter load (I've seen them rotate on a 24 hours schedule). It sounds like this may be what is happening to you. Make sure that you have all of the control channel frequencies programmed (up to 4), and the next time that you lose the signal, check the other control channel frequencies.

Dewey

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
I agree, the 996XT would be overkill if your just running trunk88. Get a cheap older non trunking scanner with a discrim tap for that

On a serious note, it's good to use the older "unusable" equipment for things like Trunk88 and Unitrunker input since all they will do is sit on a control channel for days into weeks into months, etc...

Dewey

rasputen246

Found the trunking problem

Somehow I kept getting empty custom bandplan data.
I have verified that was the problem, all cc freqs are loaded.
They fire right up when I load the bandplan data.

It helps that so far all the rebanded sites I have take the exact same rebanded data. I have it in hardcopy form now for the road.
Anytime I really hit the road I will take my old laptop and cable to fix whatever comes up .

I have been doing so many ul/dl configs as I learn the 996 that there is NO telling how I screwed them up.

rasputen246

Hey thanks for all the responses, I am usually a "thread killer".

I have some new things I've learned and some still mysteries.

I did embarrassingly learn that the GPS leaves the 996 in a different state if you just turn it off in GPS mode then bring it inside as a base unit w/no gps. I kept getting all kinds of unlocked channels. But it was mostly that I was so warped over finally getting a 996 that I did not check the actual gps data in my downloaded groups. They were default , home, random?? Who knows, but when I got the correct gps coordinates all programmed (after my new toy spazmonium) the thing works excellent.

Now I have problems getting the cc out of the 996 usb2serial front port.(it never has worked yet) I have tried T88,UT,Pro96comm(using the 396xt setting) .

Nothing seems to come out at all. No errors, NO DATA.

I have set the cc out on, set the baud rates(various) set the front port and no data out.
All while the gps works fine out the rear @ 4800 & FreeScan & ARC-XT_PRO works perfect from the front port @115,200. Setting on a chattering Metro Nashville cc. What did I miss??

Any 996XT guru's wanna tell me what I missed? firmware is 1.04.00 .

Status
Not open for further replies.