new BCD436HP no SD card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kblasor

Feeling a little stupid with this having to be my first post, but....I took advantage yesterday of Amazon's lower pricing on the BCD436hp yesterday, and it arrived same day. (I live by their warehouse). This morning unpacking and setting the scanner up, I get a SD card error. Now I see, there is no SD card installed. Nothing but pins and the little lock/unlock slide. I've been through the box and packing three times, I don't see one anywhere. Owners manual says "SD card installed. Nope. So does this sound like a factory mistake, or I'm being dumb and overlooking something?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It should be installed. Just get a decent SD card; the factory ones are small and have an annoying habit of failure. Spend $15 or so to get a fast 16GB card and the scanner will boot faster and run faster.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You can download it. The version in the card wouldn't be the current one that can handle DMR or ProVoice systems anyway.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
kblasor, does anything else appear to be missing from the box?

Included in the Box:
BCD436HP Scanner Radio
SMA Semi-Ridged Antenna
411.com Registration card
USB to USB Mini-B programming cable
Rotating Belt Clip.
Belt clip Plastic Attachment with 1 screw
Battery Department Cover
3 AA 2300mah Ni-Mh Batteries
Printed manual in the box with online updates.
SD Card (4 GB)

sprite1741

Tell Amazon, they will either give you another one or knock a few bucks off.

kblasor

This is turning into a fiasco. Not a very consumer friendly product. New 16gb SD installed, now scanner says 'SD card file error. Use Sentinel "clear user data' operation to initialize SD card. Thing is the Sentinel software doesn't see the card, so there is nothing for it to clear. I tried formatting the card with Windows, that didn't make any difference either.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
I would Never buy premium electronics from Amazon, Ebay, etc.. or any place that may sell uncertified 3rd, 4th, 5th party goods. Always buy from a reputable dealer who gets the electronics directly from the manufacturer. The good deal you think you're getting might not be that great of a deal. Above story is proof. Anyway, the BCD436HP is a great scanner. Take time to learn it properly and it will take time.

kblasor

Alex, yes, that was the trick, it was hidden as a "G" drive. Once I selected display all drives, it was good. Up, running, and scanning via zip code until I learn more. I will deal with Amazon tomorrow.

Thanks all!
Ken
N7KB

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I agree - I suspect you have a scanner that was owned by someone else who had issues with it and returned the scanner. Unfortunately they probably kept the SD card and Amazon's folks didn't know enough about the scanner to see if it was there.

At the end of the day, other than the frustration of not being able to use the product right away, it may be a blessing. A good number of users opt for a higher capacity card and keep the original for a spare. They are not too bad in cost.

Hopefully Amazon will send you another card - I don't think there is such as thing as having too many SD cards.

kc2kth

I'd never buy big ticket items, or even many small ticket items, from Amazon for this reason. They are as bad as some of the big box retailers with their practices of repackaging returns and reselling them as new. Note this doesn't always happen since Amazon DOES have an open box sales section of their site, but clearly it is still happening. Coupled with the number of fake / counterfeit items (uncovered by Apple last year publicly) I've started shopping elsewhere or at least paying attention to WHO is ACTUALLY selling what I'm buying on Amazon (ie who are the 3rd party sellers I'm dealing with).

pilotage

Feeling a little stupid with this having to be my first post, but....I took advantage yesterday of Amazon's lower pricing on the BCD436hp yesterday, and it arrived same day. (I live by their warehouse). This morning unpacking and setting the scanner up, I get a SD card error. Now I see, there is no SD card installed. Nothing but pins and the little lock/unlock slide. I've been through the box and packing three times, I don't see one anywhere. Owners manual says "SD card installed. Nope. So does this sound like a factory mistake, or I'm being dumb and overlooking something?

Same exact thing happened to me. Purchased and fulfilled by Amazon (not a warehouse deal or 3rd party seller). Missing SD card. How did Amazon end up helping you? This is annoying, was hoping to get started with my new scanner tonight!

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber

mine came with the SD card in the slot. if it is not there in the slot, and not in the box, they did not include one. u can try to get them to send you one OR head to the office supply store and buy one. i understand the SCAN brand is already formatted. what i hear. dont know this first hand. my card was there and working. i'd prob buy one rather than wait and monkey with them. get theirs later and have two, one as a backup. i dont like waiting when i get things. i like to be set up and rolling within minutes. u will love this scanner.

raisindot

For what it's worth, I did buy my 436HP at a good price through Amazon (i.e., directly, not through a marketplace seller) and it arrived with everything and has no problems at all.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
If you do buy a SD card from the store make sure its a Speed Class 10 SD card it has faster read and write.....

pilotage

I suspect you have a scanner that was owned by someone else who had issues with it and returned the scanner. Unfortunately they probably kept the SD card and Amazon's folks didn't know enough about the scanner to see if it was there.

My unit looked untouched. The screen was covered in protective plastic, no fingerprints, all accessories (except the sd card) were in the package and wrapped up, the batteries were sealed. Perhaps someone bought this one and the OP's unit, removed the card, and sent it back? That sounds unlikely but possible. Im betting the supplier sent a batch to Amazon without SD cards.

But, Amazon already credited me $$$.$$ for the missing card and Im picking up a Sandisk Ultra Plus 32GB at Target today. Fingers crossed I can get the Sentinal software working on a Mac with Virtualbox.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.